Japanese Kitchen Knife

Max2

I know we have a lot self proclaimed "Chef's" here on the forum and was wondering if there were any kitchen knife Guru's.  I have been looking at Antique Forgecrafts, Old Hickory's, etc. which are the old rusty knifes that Im betting a bunch of you still have, or at least have held one of grandma's in your hand before.  Believe it or not, they're not cheap on Ebay.

Anyway, Im just tired of my German dishwasher safe Alloy knives that basically are junk.  Anyone have ideas on an affordable "Blue Steel" or High Carbon Chef knife that wont break the bank?

1 minute ago, jason str said:

The best knife is a sharp knife, even the best knives go dull.  Invest in a good sharpener during the search.

I have never been very good with  straight up stones, which I have. Cant seem to get an edge on the cheap, big named German Alloys.   I may need to look at those locked angle sharpeners.

Just bought a Suisin Gyutou.  Full Blue Carbon Steel.    Somehow I know the wife will manage to dishwash it.

I will have one of these next.

8" ForgeCraft

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

We have a specialty Japanese knife shop here in Calgary. Best part is you can take a cutting class and try a lot of different knives and also sharpening class. Wife took the cutting class and picked knives that worked well for her and I took the sharpening class (I am just passable as a knife sharpener). Look for a shop like that if there’s one near you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ZDP-189 is a really fine steel with superb edge retention to look for (ZDP-189 is often tempered as very hard steel so you would need to be conscious that it is not a high toughness steel it can be as as hard as a file if tempered that way) if you want to keep the price lower VG10 is a fine all around very stainless steel very popular in Japanese knives which is easy to sharpen and CPM154 is also a fine stainless in the middle between these two so far as sharpening ease though less stainless than VG10 but all of these steels are much more stainless than a high carbon steel such as1095 for example.

Spyderco have a very good sharpening system that will take good care of your blades see the attached link.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/204MF/Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker/77

if you just want a fine yet budget knife you will be hard pressed (even up to the $500.00 range) to better the Victorinox Fibrox 8 inch Chefs Knife it has been well researched and is the best bang for the buck out there and a fine knife to use and is used by many professionals.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moray james said:

ZDP-189 is a really fine steel with superb edge retention to look for (ZDP-189 is often tempered as very hard steel so you would need to be conscious that it is not a high toughness steel it can be as as hard as a file if tempered that way) if you want to keep the price lower VG10 is a fine all around very stainless steel very popular in Japanese knives which is easy to sharpen and CPM154 is also a fine stainless in the middle between these two so far as sharpening ease though less stainless than VG10 but all of these steels are much more stainless than a high carbon steel such as1095 for example.

Spyderco have a very good sharpening system that will take good care of your blades see the attached link.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/204MF/Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker/77

Thank MJ.   I actually have a a few Spyderco "pocket" knives that I like a lot.  I just took the Plunge on what I think is a 1095 blade for the kitchen. However, it has different angle cuts for each side. From the reviews Im hoping I wont have to sharpen it anytime soon, but I have other knives that need it badly.

Thinking about trying a setup like this to keep angle correct

New-Upgraded-Fix-angle-Knife-Sharpener-Kitchen-Sharpening-System-amp-4-Stones-Kit

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'm not qualified Max----I use traditional chef's knives, not the Japanese style.

Well I think what I bought is a western style Jap steel blade if that brings back any stateside love    

Now if I had a Hot Sauce company, I would be knee deep in Bob Kramer knives:)

Image result for kramer damascus chef knife

• Like 1

1095 is a fine high carbon steel (0.95% carbon by composition) you need to dry it but it is easy to sharpen and tougher than nails and will take on a superb sharp edge, hair whittling if you want but that is a difficult thing to learn to do. Look to you tube videos by Michael Christy who is a superb sharpener and who chases the ghost  edge. I have seen Michael whittle the same single hair 8 times in a row with a blade it is amazing to see.

• Like 1

I have a drawer full of knives sharp enough to shave with. They came from many sources and are comprised of many brands...... none Japanese. I employ a 2 grit whetstone to get them sharp and a leather razor strop with polishing paste to get them insanely, maniacly, dangerously sharp. Use a knife, wash it, dry it well - use a steel to straighten the blade and put it away in a holder that protects the blade. They will remain very sharp for a long, long time. Unless you plan to cut presentation sushi I know of no reason the have a particular edge angle on a blade. BTW my blades are not neatly sharpened. The sharpening process is tough work, you will slip and mar the knife. So what, who cares what they look like as long as they cut well. My neighbor has some fancy Japanese knives. They are pretty, very sharp and very rigid...... and $$$$. I. Have bought knives from the Tuesday Morning bargain bin that are sharper because I know how to get them, and keep them sharp.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Max2 said:

Thank MJ.   I actually have a a few Spyderco "pocket" knives that I like a lot.  I just took the Plunge on what I think is a 1095 blade for the kitchen. However, it has different angle cuts for each side. From the reviews Im hoping I wont have to sharpen it anytime soon, but I have other knives that need it badly.

Thinking about trying a setup like this to keep angle correct

New-Upgraded-Fix-angle-Knife-Sharpener-Kitchen-Sharpening-System-amp-4-Stones-Kit

you can go onto you tube and find all sorts of home made versions of fixed angle sharpening jigs or pick up one as shown for a reasonable cost. For large fixed blades I like the Spyderco  design for smaller length blades the fixed angle devices work very well. I have a fixed angle device which I bought because I was never able to keep my angles consistent. I have since learned that if you make a serious effort and practice that your muscle memory  will learn for you and now I do most of my sharpening by hand except for when I want to re profile a blade to a lower angle, I find most are too steep. A more shallow angel makes for a much better cutter and will aid in edge retention as well and not by a small degree either.

• Thanks 1