Japanese Kitchen Knife

Max2

=== there are some fine custom hunting knives made from D2 steel, heat treated to 60-62 Rockwell. You do have to care for them properly  as they have a tendency to pit. But they will take and hold a razor edge — Bob Dozier out of Arkansas is a fine example -

High Carbon seems like too much to tend to even if it is great. Had several brands of German sets over the years that I didn't ever sharpen and they all hit the tables at yard sales.

If you can stomach a stamped knife find some MAC knives and hone and sharpen them up at their 12 degrees or 15... think 15 is Global.

The ones I collected a decade ago are abused on the plates, the pizza pan, cookie sheets and this "Superior" blade you just hone monthly or so and sharpen three or four times a year and they cut tomatos, cheese, eggplant, steak just like room temp butter.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 11:31 PM, oldtimer said:

full bolster for a chefs knife for me.  otherwise technique is sacrificed.

They are definitely different animals with the safety factor and comfort.

I did find NOS Old Hickories for $21 shipped on Ebay.  Its the spitting image of a Forgecraft only the blade is a hair more narrow.    I must say, this is an awesome knife and one of the few good things left for "old Americana."

If you like kitchen Knives, this may be the best $21 bucks spent. It came sharp, but a few pulls across a stone and it will push cut paper.

A great size and great shape too.   They are ruster's though, not dishwasher safe,  but a hard azz blade that will take an edge easily, unlike the soft econo stainless blades of today.

This blade is a full 8 inches.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Hickory-7045-Cook-Knife-79-8-High-Carbon-Steel-Blade-Hickory-Handle-OH7045/263350187341?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I went through the same thing.  Victorinox makes great knives that are not that expensive.  They are thin and very sharp.

Here is a set - I caught this on sale for about $60 last year. I added about 5 more 4" and 5" paring knives.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-5-Piece-Chefs-Molded-Handles/dp/B002OOVA0E/ref=asc_df_B002OOVA0E/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198060092138&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6524650035967153989&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030835&hvtargid=pla-379227720685&psc=1

This is a very good deal:

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Piece-Utility-Knife/dp/B007JTO6UA/ref=lp_18292323011_1_13?srs=18292323011&ie=UTF8&qid=1542914265&sr=8-13

I also bought a $6 sharpening stone and some oil from Amazon. 

On 10/26/2018 at 2:30 PM, Max2 said:

I know we have a lot self proclaimed "Chef's" here on the forum and was wondering if there were any kitchen knife Guru's.  I have been looking at Antique Forgecrafts, Old Hickory's, etc. which are the old rusty knifes that Im betting a bunch of you still have, or at least have held one of grandma's in your hand before.  Believe it or not, they're not cheap on Ebay.

Anyway, Im just tired of my German dishwasher safe Alloy knives that basically are junk.  Anyone have ideas on an affordable "Blue Steel" or High Carbon Chef knife that wont break the bank?

We have an old timey Hardware store locally and they carry the usa made NEW in the packaging old Hickory knives. Be happy to pick one or ? and send along for cost to members

I bought three Miyabi kitchen knives a few years back. I tried one and was an instant “true believer”. Buy a steel for maintenance, but you’ll need a couple of water stones when they need sharpened. I’m decent with a whetstone and can bring them close to their factory sharpness, but only “close”. I’m guessing there are folks you can send them to, who’ll bring them back to their factory razor edge. 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, Max2 said:

Thank MJ.   I actually have a a few Spyderco "pocket" knives that I like a lot.  I just took the Plunge on what I think is a 1095 blade for the kitchen. However, it has different angle cuts for each side. From the reviews Im hoping I wont have to sharpen it anytime soon, but I have other knives that need it badly.

Thinking about trying a setup like this to keep angle correct

New-Upgraded-Fix-angle-Knife-Sharpener-Kitchen-Sharpening-System-amp-4-Stones-Kit

I've been using a stone system similar design but hand held and not as well made. It does a good job, I can skin out a deer easily, so the blades are almost razor sharp. The one downside is when you're getting stoned, I mean sharpening your knives, it's sounds and feels like no brake pads on a car.

Mark

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I went through the same thing.  Victorinox makes great knives that are not that expensive.  They are thin and very sharp.

Here is a set - I caught this on sale for about $60 last year. I added about 5 more 4" and 5" paring knives.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-5-Piece-Chefs-Molded-Handles/dp/B002OOVA0E/ref=asc_df_B002OOVA0E/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198060092138&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6524650035967153989&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030835&hvtargid=pla-379227720685&psc=1

This is a very good deal:

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Piece-Utility-Knife/dp/B007JTO6UA/ref=lp_18292323011_1_13?srs=18292323011&ie=UTF8&qid=1542914265&sr=8-13

I also bought a $6 sharpening stone and some oil from Amazon. 

I have read some great reviews on the Vic knives.  I picked up a Suisin 240mm Gyutou in Carbon.  Its already has a good bit of Patina from tomato's, limes and onions, but man it cuts like nothing I have used.

9 hours ago, joessportster said:

We have an old timey Hardware store locally and they carry the usa made NEW in the packaging old Hickory knives. Be happy to pick one or ? and send along for cost to members

Make sure they are the old Carbon steel and not the newer stainless models. The carbon will have a hard greyish or almost blackish look to the steel.

2 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I've been using a stone system similar design but hand held and not as well made. It does a good job, I can skin out a deer easily, so the blades are almost razor sharp. The one downside is when you're getting stoned, I mean sharpening your knives, it's sounds and feels like no brake pads on a car.

Mark

Ha!   I just picked up a King KDS stone and it worked magic on all the old soft, econo model Wusthof knives I have been cussing for a while.  They are sharper than new now I think. The edge just doesn't last very long on them.

4 minutes ago, Max2 said:

I have read some great reviews on the Vic knives.  I picked up a Suisin 240mm Gyutou in Carbon.  Its already has a good bit of Patina from tomato's, limes and onions, but man it cuts like nothing I have used.

Make sure they are the old Carbon steel and not the newer stainless models. The carbon will have a hard greyish or almost blackish look to the steel.

Ha!   I just picked up a King KDS stone and it worked magic on all the old soft, econo model Wusthof knives I have been cussing for a while.  They are sharper than new now I think. The edge just doesn't last very long on them.

I think I'm still using my Chicago Cutlery that has to be 25 years old. Not knowing a lot about all the expensive knives, these work and do the job they are supposed to. You can't miss what you never had. As you said, they just don't hold an edge very long. They don't but stones are cheap. 

Mark 

55 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I think I'm still using my Chicago Cutlery that has to be 25 years old. Not knowing a lot about all the expensive knives, these work and do the job they are supposed to. You can't miss what you never had. As you said, they just don't hold an edge very long. They don't but stones are cheap. 

Mark 

Chicago Cutlery's classic steak knives are pretty vicious.  

On 10/26/2018 at 1:44 PM, MC39693 said:

We have a specialty Japanese knife shop here in Calgary. Best part is you can take a cutting class and try a lot of different knives and also sharpening class. Wife took the cutting class and picked knives that worked well for her and I took the sharpening class (I am just passable as a knife sharpener). Look for a shop like that if there’s one near you.

I’m going to check that out next time I’m down in Calgary. What’s it called?

Hi @YK Thom the store is called Knifewear and they have stores in Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa and Vancouver (I have no affiliation).  Also, online so you can look them up.  They are in Inglewood (if you know Calgary) as well a small stand at the Calgary Farmers Market.  They also have a "shave shop" with some nice axes, straight razors, shave brushes/cream etc.  It is called Kent of Inglewood, being across the street from the Knifewear store in Inglewood,  So you can hit up two stores in one trip!

I've been through Yellowknife, only at the airport on way to Norman Wells.  Brother-in-law did a solo pilot's flight to Yellowknife in summer for the long hours of sunlight.  Best wishes on a trip now ... lots of snow here.

• Like 1

Thank you very much. I actually get down to Edmonton more often. I’ll track down the Edmonton store. Looks like I may be in town in January for business. I get up to the Wells a few times a year. The town has really slowed down. The oil sector has pretty much wound down from its peak. A real boom and bust place. Nicest Legion I’ve ever been in though.