Bohemian Rhapsody

thebes

I'm actually excited about the release of this movie. I hope, but am not too hopeful, that the inevitable re-mastering  of Queen's best hits will rock. From what I can glean, there will be digital releases accompanied by a vinyl release next Spring. On the downside, there will be a number of songs from their 1985 Aids concert.  Given how layered and processed their studio albums were, a 7.1 rendition might be very much fun indeed.  Re-mastering live albums, well that's another challenge altogether.

I've always felt that Queen was a fun, dynamic, jumping around type of band and I'll be in the theater next weekend to see the movie.  My only caveat on the movie, is can I watch closeups of really bad English teeth for two hours without rushing out of the theater to the nearest dentist.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I've been looking forward to seeing it as well.  I have a concert disc of theirs that I've watched half a dozen times.  I think it was filmed in Toronto possibly?  Considering how old the film was that the disc was made from the audio is really fairly decent.

1 minute ago, Emile said:

Yeah ... can't wait ... checked the "torrents" and not available yet :( Was in London when Freddy Mercury died ... people crying in the streets :(  

Well I wonder who they found to replace him in the movie---its hard to find guys that sing that high. Ask Journey.

JJK

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Emile said:

Yeah ... can't wait ... checked the "torrents" and not available yet :( Was in London when Freddy Mercury died ... people crying in the streets :(  

Great story. You were living in a historical moment, music/culturally. 

I had a similar deal. I was in LA the day after Jerry Garcia died.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, thebes said:

I had a similar deal. I was in LA the day after Jerry Garcia died.

There was great sadness in San Francisco.  It was half-way expected, what with the diabetes, and some bodily abuse.  Sad, nonetheless.  The Haight was pretty dead, itself, by then.  Most of the Hip Folk had moved to the country.  "Heavy" drugs abounded.

It reminded me of the day Robert Kennedy died.  Few Haight -Ashbury dwellers were supporters of any mainline politician, but RFK seemed to be the last best hope for ending the war in Vietnam.   A DJ I knew, who was very critical of RFK, played "Be Not Too Hard." That night there was a wake for RFK at the Straight Theater, with the band I Am the Sky.  People danced it off, but it didn't stay off.  The war went on for about 6 more years.

2 hours ago, thebes said:

... can I watch closeups of really bad English teeth for two hours without rushing out of the theater to the nearest dentist. 

image.png.a37b96cd333c9662baee53ebdd0547ed.pnghttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjp1cL0tqXeAhWrFjQIHc5iCvMQwqsBMAx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPrpUSKE9p_M&usg=AOvVaw11UCZSid6FNCBZ7fgk2sWx

• Like 4

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Don't listen to Journey.  Don't ask.  I heard the guy they found is pretty good.  But seriously, don't listen to journey, and don't ask.  

Aww, now.  The first 3 albums are fine.  The first one is excellent and the 2nd is quite good, too.  After that, phfffffft.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It seems many biographies on great musicians and artists share so much of their dark sides that it makes it hard to consider them heroes anymore.  I wouldn't expect this one to be any different.

Love his music but certainly don't give him hero status.

30 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Love his music but certainly don't give him hero status.

Freddie Mercury? There is only a handful of people who are at his level of superstardom whether you like his music or not....One of the things I still find amusing is that given his lifestyle, his songs motivated folks who were pumping their fists getting ready to pummel another dude (or dudes) and even more in the stands watching and getting emotional. 

That said, I can dig Queen and Freddie's music isn't for everyone, but if any rock star is qoing to be called "hero" (agree there is an argument for not giving  any of them that designation) Freddie Mercury is definitely one of them insofar as his talent, music ability and one of a kind voice is concerned (Imo ;)) 

9 minutes ago, dtel said:

It was kind of surprising that Paul Rodgers of Bad Company and Free sang for Queen for 5 years after Freddy Mercury died. Should be a good movie.

Surprising and disappointing. I liked Paul in Bad Company but he couldn't hold a candle to Freddie, and again what made him so unique. 

• Moderators

That was the surprising part that he did that, he is a good singer and I like him in his bands but it would be brave to try to replace Freddy. I was never a big fan of Queen but did like some songs and how Freddy sang and his personality, tough to follow.

Great talent and voice don't garner the hero designation.  Playing football won't get you thst either unless you're someone like JJ Watt who has helped countless families after a natural disaster.  If Freddie was a great humanitarian and I'm not aware of it than I'll change my opinion of him.  Being one of the best lead men in rock and roll history doesn't make you a hero.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Great talent and voice don't garner the hero designation.  Playing football won't get you thst either unless you're someone like JJ Watt who has helped countless families after a natural disaster.  If Freddie was a great humanitarian and I'm not aware of it than I'll change my opinion of him.  Being one of the best lead men in rock and roll history doesn't make you a hero.

He kept all his charity work as silent as he could.....http://www.mercuryphoenixtrust.com/site/aboutus

• Like 1