Bohemian Rhapsody

thebes

27 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

That was organized in his memory not by him correct?

I didn't click on the link, so I don't know if it was or wasn't. That said, imo a legacy created in his memory is something to be respected --That means his talent inspired others to help humanity....That said, some folks don't appreciate what Bono has done nor do they consider that worthy of "hero" status. Btw, not being argumentative but I for one don't put athletes on a pedestal, nor do I go around protesting what they do for the causes they believe in--I still don't buy Nike and it's not for any endorsements or lack there of....

Otoh, look at how many religious people base their beliefs on one person's " memory". 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Great talent and voice don't garner the hero designation.  Playing football won't get you thst either unless you're someone like JJ Watt who has helped countless families after a natural disaster.  If Freddie was a great humanitarian and I'm not aware of it than I'll change my opinion of him.  Being one of the best lead men in rock and roll history doesn't make you a hero.

That sounds sappy.

He*ro: 

noun

1. a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

Actually, I was attending live music concerts as a kid before getting my first stereo, so it is the loudspeakers and related equipment that allow me to enjoy in my home, the recorded performances of the musicians. It is all tied together and I am glad for ALL the extra-ordinary people who have brought joy into our lives.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:
21 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

He*ro: 

noun

1. a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

I didn't see rock star in there for some reason. 

Is that because none have ever made outstanding achievements?  This... coming from you... on an audio forum?  

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Maybe because it doesn't fit the definition. 

Of course it does--Freddie Mercury has many notable achievements and that fits the definition. For one thing he has sold millions of albums and his music is played at those sporting events I mentioned earlier to this day.

On 10/26/2018 at 7:05 PM, thebes said:

My only caveat on the movie, is can I watch closeups of really bad English teeth for two hours without rushing out of the theater to the nearest dentist.

Just take some dental floss in with you and share it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Queen was the first band I really really liked, I remember it was 6th grade.

I will see this but am a little apprehensive. If they dramatize Freddie's sexual preference and make that into a big plot point, it'll sour the film for me. From what I've gleaned from interviews, he didn't want that to be front and center. It was about the music and making listeners feel good.

This is from an '81 interview:

"I like people to go away from a Queen show feeling fully entertained, having had a good time. I think Queen songs are pure escapism, like going to see a good film - after that, they can go away and say that was great, and go back to their problems. I don't want to change the world with our music."

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2018 at 4:52 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

It seems many biographies on great musicians and artists share so much of their dark sides that it makes it hard to consider them heroes anymore.  I wouldn't expect this one to be any different.

I dont consider musicians heros but I do certainly admire and respect them. Just like all of us they have issues and a dark side. Same with ball players. I would choose never to meet my favorites. I dont expect them to be choir boys but I would still be disapointed to discover that they are ****** bags