Bohemian Rhapsody

thebes

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

want but there is already reason for Freddie Mercury to be called one even though he wasn't one of yours.

I'm still waiting to find out what that was.  You certainly haven't listed one.

I guess anyone can be considered a hero if you're famous and have talent........not.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm still waiting to find out what that was.  You certainly haven't listed one.

I can't debate who you consider a hero. By the definition Jeff posted Freddie Mercury could be classified as one as both he and oldtimer have pointed out. Those dudes are sticklers for language. ;) 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

Jeff's definition.

Courage?  Nope           I've never read that.

Outstanding achievements?   Nope.      Has he saved a life?  Donated millions to charities?  Donated an organ?       

Noble qualities?  Nope      Not that I've read

He was certainly idolized but not heroic.

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Outstanding achievements?   Nope.      Has he saved a life?  Donated millions to charities?  Donated an organ?       

Noble qualities? 

All of this is subjective . He definitely has outstanding achievements  and I don't know if he saved a life. As other mentioned he has donated to charities and I'm not sure if it's enough for you to classify him as giving enough. His talent has inspired many and in different fields so I will put Freddie up against JJ and let others decide whom they consider a hero--One, both, or neither. 

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

What was mentioned was that there was a charity started after his death.  Did I miss the link where he actually donated anything?

I don't know the terms of his estate but as I mentioned, that wasn't the only "hero" criteria he represents. It's okay that you don't see him that way and it's clear you think heroes should give a certain amount to charity even though it's not in the definition.  

10 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I don't know the terms of his estate but as I mentioned, that wasn't the only "hero" criteria he represents. It's okay that you don't see him that way and it's clear you think heroes should give a certain amount to charity even though it's not in the definition.  

That's not the only criteria but it's certainly worth considering.  It doesn't apply in this case though.  I just don't think that being famous automatically gets you in the hero club.  I don't believe in participation trophies either.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

He*ro: 

noun

1. a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

Some think Vincent Van Gogh wouldn't fit this definition. He wasn't admired during his lifetime. He only sold one painting and  bartered a handful more during the time he painted. His family and friends thought he was wasting his time painting, yet he is one of the most famous artist who has ever lived and has inspired movies, songs and countless artist since he died over 125 years ago. He is a hero of mine because he defied the odds because he felt life passionately and even his scrap paper and written words are worth tens of thousands of dollars, to paintings that are worth several thousand times more than that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It doesn't apply in this case though.  I just don't think that being famous automatically gets you in the hero club.  I don't believe in participation trophies either.

Fwiw, no one is arguing that he should be a hero just because he is famous....Insofar as participation trophies are concerned, surely you aren't claiming Freddie Mercury only deserves a "participation trophy" for his life?This thread was started because his music is still popular to such an extent they made a movie about him.  

9 minutes ago, Emile said:

OK; can we "loose" this HERO stuff?  The only real hero's risks their lives to save other people.  Contributing money to good causes does not make a "hero."  It just makes a "good person."

^^^

This  (especially if they've used dental floss) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, no one is arguing that he should be a hero just because he is famous....Insofar as participation trophies are concerned, surely you aren't claiming Freddie Mercury only deserves a "participation trophy" for his life?This thread was started because his music is still popular to such an extent they made a movie about him.  

According to you all successful singers should be considered heros.  That's like all kids playing soccer get trophies.  

There's tons of people that have had movies made about them.  Some are hero's some are not.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

According to you all successful singers should be considered heros.  That's like all kids playing soccer get trophies.  

Nope. That's nowhere near what I said and let me refer you to my first post on this thread and will bold the part you may have missed:

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:46 AM, Zen Traveler said:

Freddie Mercury? There is only a handful of people who are at his level of superstardom whether you like his music or not....One of the things I still find amusing is that given his lifestyle, his songs motivated folks who were pumping their fists getting ready to pummel another dude (or dudes) and even more in the stands watching and getting emotional. 

That said, I can dig Queen and Freddie's music isn't for everyone, but if any rock star is qoing to be called "hero" (agree there is an argument for not giving  any of them that designation) Freddie Mercury is definitely one of them insofar as his talent, music ability and one of a kind voice is concerned (Imo ;))