Bohemian Rhapsody

thebes

1 hour ago, Rivernuggets said:

Agree to disagree already on what the definition of a Hero means to you. You've both been at an impasse for long enough.

Fwiw, I have already explained that it can mean different things to different people. THAT is why I keep responding. :) 

9 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

He * ro!

6xwzEjKrSmmvk4U5xKhq_Hero%203.jpg

That said,  Jeff seems to have it dialed in.

• Like 1

Queen performed during that time when people were slowing stepping out of closet. Gays were not really accepted, and many treated them as subhuman. While many gay artists, like Elton John - were keeping it on the down low - there was Mercury - just throwing it out there - just being himself, and being completely fearless about it. Instead of using his craft to push an agenda, he goes full tilt into just entertaining everyone - pure theater. 

He won won half of the homophobes in the country over. Made people see a “human being” - nothing more, nothing less. The dude was a monster hero. 

• Like 6

I would have to agree^^.

Those were the days when being gay could have cost you a job, your dignity or worse, your safety. 

Why on earth people care about who someone is attracted to is beyond me. I was partially raised by a lesbian godmother, so that probably helped me to not to judge a person’s character by what they do behind closed doors. 

He never officially came out, from the little research I had time to dedicate to the subject, but he sure as heck helped pave the way for thousands, of not millions who were living a lie and didn’t think coming out was even a possibility. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Deang said:

While many gay artists, like Elton John - were keeping it on the down low - there was Mercury - just throwing it out there - just being himself, and being completely fearless about it.

I'm pretty sure Bowie was first, maybe early 70s, EJ was '76 I. a RS interview.  Back then it was "bi" which was code for gay.  I think EJ said ten years later he was exclusively men.

3 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Wow, I have only seen midnight previews in the past, of course I'm way out of being on "the know" these days.

Me too. I was just looking at times for Friday, and checked out Thursday's times and noticed that. Went online and found out it's a pretty popular move by the theaters.

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

I thought he was always very ambiguous about it, like everyone knew, but it wasn't "public."  But that was a long, long time ago.

I'm pretty sure Bowie was first, maybe early 70s, EJ was '76 I. a RS interview.  Back then it was "bi" which was code for gay.  I think EJ said ten years later he was exclusively men.

This is how I remember it. I'm not gay however had to deal with what I was reading about my rock-n-roll ideals. Diamond Dogs was the wildest thing I could identify with my life up until that time--Elton was just cool. :) 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Bowie was "tri" meaning he would try anything.

I thought his last version was he made it all up for Glam Rock image.

I stopped keeping up Bowie by this time, but he and Alice Cooper did seem to weave weirdly appealing concepts that is hard to explain today--Even over a few beers. It was obvious that all three were gay, but now think Alice was playing some deep seated character who may have not been....Just sayin'.