Jubilee bass bins

noviygera

Hello,

I've been thinking about trying the Jubilee bass bins. The idea I have is to replace my bass channel (Aura 1808 in reflex box) together with midbass channel (Funktion One F115) with a single Jubilee channel. Of course I'm talking about stereo pair. The frequency range that I need to have covered is 30-250hz.
FYI Funktion One F115:
https://www.funktion-one.com/products/f115-mk2/

There are a couple of theoretical benefits that I see going from two to one channel in that range:
1. no crossover from 30-250 hz.
2. single elegant solution, use of a horn in conjunction with room corner
3. horn loaded bass + midbass 

My current bass+midbass is OK but definitely has some sonic issues. The 1808 subs, I have crossing over at 50hz to midbass boxes. This is a pretty seamless transition and does not cause problems in my view. Also this combination never runs out of steam and keeps it's composure at any sale levels in my listening space. The issue is the upper range of the midbass, around 250Hz where it begins to lose definition and starts to sound closed in and thick. So a one channel solution that is proper sounding in it's upper range would be most interesting, considering that the Jubilee is designed to go up to 400hz. This is my concept based on the Jubilee specs and is no way based on real sonic proof of the concept.

I have no experience with Jubilee so I am asking for thoughts on this design and the sonics from those who have heard the Jubilee bass bins covering 30-250hz. Also, it would be interesting to hear your views (even theoretical evaluation) of such an approach as the Jubilee offers.

Thanks.

Herman

Edited by noviygera
increase font

2 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

for home use, a single solution which eliminates a Crossover point, multiple amps, cabling and so on makes much more sense.

But if you want to maximize the experience the way Roy envisions....  you'd actively biamp which adds complexity on the electronics side although as you say, you are eliminating a crossover point (and that IS a good thing I've learned)

4 hours ago, Coytee said:

You'll likely find most answers here to be very positive and affirmative of the Jubilee.  Where do you live?  Perhaps you are close enough to someone with a pair that you could hear them for yourself.

I am in Chicago. I would like to hear the Jubilees. Either to rent them for a few days or visit someone who has them set up. Can you recommend a way to do that?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

But if you want to maximize the experience the way Roy envisions....  you'd actively biamp which adds complexity on the electronics side although as you say, you are eliminating a crossover point (and that IS a good thing I've learned)

Current 4-way system is already actively quad-amped. Although I am using DSP for the crossover, and it's not as transparent as using no DSP,  it will be helpful to delay the mids and highs, if the Jubilee gets installed. 

4 hours ago, noviygera said:

I have no experience with Jubilee so I am asking for thoughts on this design and the sonics from those who have heard the Jubilee bass bins covering 30-250hz. Also, it would be interesting to hear your views (even theoretical evaluation) of such an approach as the Jubilee offers...

I am in Chicago. I would like to hear the Jubilees. Either to rent them for a few days or visit someone who has them set up. Can you recommend a way to do that? 

The Jubilee bass bins (KPT-KHJ-LF) sound like they would fit your application nicely.  Can you describe if this is commercial or home use? 

I've owned Jubilees for about 11 years now, and can say that the frequency response that you seek is quite solid using these bass bins.  There are no caveats other than the need to place them in full room corners.  Their bass definition and tightness is unsurpassed in my experience.

I can describe this in a more technical way, if you wish, but I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for.  I can say that the Jubilee bass bins are much cleaner sounding to my ears than any bass reflex box, up to and including quad 15" drivers in the KPT-415-LF.

Chris

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris A said:

The Jubilee bass bins (KPT-KHJ-LF) sound like they would fit your application nicely.  Can you describe if this is commercial or home use? 

I've owned Jubilees for about 11 years now, and can say that the frequency response that you seek is quite solid using these bass bins.  There are no caveats other than the need to place them in full room corners.  Their bass definition and tightness is unsurpassed in my experience.

I can describe this in a more technical way, if you wish, but I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for.  I can say that the Jubilee bass bins are much cleaner sounding to my ears than any bass reflex box, up to and including quad 15" drivers in the KPT-415-LF.

Chris

I have Jubilees and I'm the designer of the world famous Quarter Pie bass horn (derived from Klipsch MWM). I also helped a dealer with his attempt at "clones with drones" (he owns original Golden Jubilees) I agree with what Chris said all the way. It's hard to beat twin 12" drivers, tightly coupled to a horn, which is tightly coupled to a corner. Even with a 32 Hz. boost (per Roy Delgado, the original designer with PWK), the distortion is ridiculously LOW and the clarity is superb.

Chris A,

this is home use but higher that normal listening levels. 500sq ft room. Not concert levels by any measure, though.

Renting a pair would be an excellent start, if that is possible. I'll have to call Klipsch and ask. Otherwise, I'd be willing to drive a bit and hear them. How close do they need to be to the corner? Right in the corner or some maximum specified distance?

5 hours ago, noviygera said:

Right in the corner or some maximum specified distance?

Within 12-18 inches.  The effect of placing them farther away is loss of frequency response (SPL) at ~200-250 Hz and below 50 Hz.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on renting a pair.  I certainly am no expert to say with authority it can't be done.....but they're rather unwieldy to carry/move....I'm not really sure you'd WANT to rent a pair.  It's one of those, "set it and forget it" situations.  Excess movement of them only increases odds for back problems (unless you have the obligatory appliance dolly which helps a great deal!!)

Still...  I've never heard of anyone renting a pair nor a pair for rent.  (does't mean it can't happen....  I guess I'd rent you my pair......for the right price!!  :emotion-14:  )

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 10/28/2018 at 10:53 AM, noviygera said:
On 10/28/2018 at 6:21 AM, Coytee said:

You'll likely find most answers here to be very positive and affirmative of the Jubilee.  Where do you live?  Perhaps you are close enough to someone with a pair that you could hear them for yourself.

I am in Chicago. I would like to hear the Jubilees. Either to rent them 

Not sure if anyone still has them in Chicago, but someone will be checking on that.