JohnJ

I love LPs.

Recently they have become cost prohibitive for this fella currently without a radio station, heck without a main rig tuner too.

Rebuilding an anti-top-forty collection that started in the mid 70s, I've had to go with cds several times, and it's nice to be able to take them in the car too.

Not here to discuss the merits of one form of music reproduction over another.

I enjoy a lot of music and do have a threshold I can't tolerate but how my newly (two years ago) rebuilt stereo can sound with the digital stuff is impressive! The car just has a boom-box in it, but it's tolerable most of the time with the bass turned all the way down, I've considered un-wiring that darned subwoofer.

I firmly believe Vinyl Rules....... never had a reel to reel myself.

Some vinyl is better than others.

Some cds are better too.

Not just the fancy mfsl one I got today  but some plain ones are engineered better than others with the depth and lifelike imaging of the sound that's reproduced.

Brought to my attention a couple of weeks ago here was how much I missed a cassette of mine that was just an edit of this magnificent recording.

Discogs to the rescue and for near mint to mint media for the Who's Quadrophenia LP it was close to and over two bills. Found a seller that was dealin' :) and landed this for a quarter of that.

IMG-20181027-203649.jpg

IMG-20181027-203715.jpg

:cool:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That surprises me @Schu.

They have consistently been better than the alternative for me. Especially when I prefer the original version of a recording and not the 25th anniversary revision.

I had read that the SACDs weren't all that they were cracked up to be.

My tunes are split between behind the doors and what's in the drawers of my cabinet, so I thought I would open a thread for those 4 3/4 discs!

23 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I love LPs.

Recently they have become cost prohibitive for this fella currently without a radio station, heck without a main rig tuner too.

Rebuilding an anti-top-forty collection that started in the mid 70s, I've had to go with cds several times, and it's nice to be able to take them in the car too.

Not here to discuss the merits of one form of music reproduction over another.

I enjoy a lot of music and do have a threshold I can't tolerate but how my newly (two years ago) rebuilt stereo can sound with the digital stuff is impressive! The car just has a boom-box in it, but it's tolerable most of the time with the bass turned all the way down, I've considered un-wiring that darned subwoofer.

I firmly believe Vinyl Rules....... never had a reel to reel myself.

Some vinyl is better than others.

Some cds are better too.

Not just the fancy msfl one I got today  but some plain ones are engineered better than others with the depth and lifelike imaging of the sound that's reproduced.

Brought to my attention a couple of weeks ago here was how much I missed a cassette of mine that was just an edit of this magnificent recording.

Discogs to the rescue and for near mint to mint media for the Who's Quadrophenia LP it was close to and over two bills. Found a seller that was dealin' :) and landed this for a quarter of that.

IMG-20181027-203649.jpg

IMG-20181027-203715.jpg

:cool:

hey that's my wallet !

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Enlighten us, new tunes are always great!

The current CD source system is

Cyrus CD8 SE with PSXR external power supply 

I have taken all my CDs off the shelf and are now housed in an alloy CD case 

Sometime in the future I will build my own design Record storage unit and re install the CD cabinets again 

• Like 1

Well it seemed like it would handle a lot when I made it...... got room for a lot more cds but they're not my favorite medium for transport....

IMG-20181027-215035.jpg

These guys played the first Earthday Birthday in Orlando at Universal when this was out. Creed headlined that show. Some guy jumped onstage and kissed OLP's lead singer... not a peck but...like a spit swapper...singer hit him pretty quick and pushed him away and they walked off the stage after two songs if memory serves me right. stupid f*@@ot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

That surprises me @Schu.

They have consistently been better than the alternative for me. Especially when I prefer the original version of a recording and not the 25th anniversary revision.

I had read that the SACDs weren't all that they were cracked up to be.

I found this to be true with mfsl vinyl also, not just their digital.  For me, when searching out for money is no object vinyl, my ear runs to half speed masters or 45 rpm versions of long playing records.

I am with you on sacd,  they can be very disappointing at times. I've never had a bad bluray audio or 5.1 re-master.

My physical media collection, like you guys, runs into the SEVERAL hundred (500-600+) each of digital and vinyl. It's slightly ridiculous really but what am I to do, I would hate to try and sell all those discs.

• Like 1

A couple of their records do seem bass heavy by design, but yea half-speeds are great any way you slice `em. Have any Audio Fidelity Vinyl @Schu?? They make some terrific 180 & 200 gram LPs, I have some SRV but they do a serious jazz label themselves also I think.

I'll share some of the Hybrid sacds I picked up in the last two years they're nice as cds go but you know what my preference is!

15 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

A couple of their records do seem bass heavy by design, but yea half-speeds are great any way you slice `em. Have any Audio Fidelity Vinyl @Schu?? They make some terrific 180 & 200 gram LPs, I have some SRV but they do a serious jazz label themselves also I think...

Several mofi... not all are great.

Another thing I have found is that a great sounding LP is independent of its final weight... 180/200 gram LP's can, and often do,  sound terrible.

• Like 1