Chorus ii v Heresy iii

Martin O'Neill

15 hours ago, Audio Flynn said:

No contest.

That is why you rarely see Chorus IIs for sale. I bought mine 4 years before the Belles. They are in storage for my future man cave. Belles in the Living Room.

Great bass and mid horn at ear level in my seating positions in the past. Very poor quality crossover components that can easily be remedied. 

+ on the Chorus, my favorite above even the Cornwall. I don't normally do this because I don't want to sound like I am hyping my tweeters but I have a Chorus I in my shop right now with re-capped crossovers and the DE120 on the tweeter lens and it is a remarkable sound. While I am selling these off after they proved the concept  I have a set of parts here to build a pair of Chorus I's which I intend to do with 1" Baltic Birch and those will not be for sale. I like front ported speakers because I do not want to have to be tied to a corner to make things work right. I want to be able to put them where ever I wish and know what the results will be.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:45 AM, Westcoastdrums said:

As with klipsch speakers, usually bigger is better.   For example:

Agreed especially with pro gear which is to me the hands down best. Of course you can get speakers to big for the room. When I first had a set of KPT456's I had them hooked up before my MCM 1900's. My shop was a little crowded at the time and I did not have much separation between the boxes and was a bit disappointed. One day I cleaned out the wall on the opposite side of that section of the shop and spread them out and MAN what a difference a few feet made. Went back and did that with the MCM's which were nice but not what I expected and they became extraordinary.

If I was limited in space I would probably have the Chorus I mentioned above. I have sold more of these to people with terminal illnesses who want the joy music can bring than any other Klipsch speaker. I agree with them and I think they are the most musical and placement neutral of the older vintage speakers. Heresy's are good speakers but I miss to many low notes in music I know are there to be happy with them.

On 11/13/2018 at 7:28 AM, Dave A said:

+ on the Chorus, my favorite above even the Cornwall. I don't normally do this because I don't want to sound like I am hyping my tweeters but I have a Chorus I in my shop right now with re-capped crossovers and the DE120 on the tweeter lens and it is a remarkable sound. While I am selling these off after they proved the concept  I have a set of parts here to build a pair of Chorus I's which I intend to do with 1" Baltic Birch and those will not be for sale. I like front ported speakers because I do not want to have to be tied to a corner to make things work right. I want to be able to put them where ever I wish and know what the results will be.

Agreed especially with pro gear which is to me the hands down best. Of course you can get speakers to big for the room. When I first had a set of KPT456's I had them hooked up before my MCM 1900's. My shop was a little crowded at the time and I did not have much separation between the boxes and was a bit disappointed. One day I cleaned out the wall on the opposite side of that section of the shop and spread them out and MAN what a difference a few feet made. Went back and did that with the MCM's which were nice but not what I expected and they became extraordinary.

If I was limited in space I would probably have the Chorus I mentioned above. I have sold more of these to people with terminal illnesses who want the joy music can bring than any other Klipsch speaker. I agree with them and I think they are the most musical and placement neutral of the older vintage speakers. Heresy's are good speakers but I miss to many low notes in music I know are there to be happy with them.

1 inch Baltic Birch! Awesome! Fortunately I have been able to make space to optimize placement.

I heard the MCMs in 1977 I think. The band I was doing sound for was just a three piece acoustic group. Band bought Heresy Industrial. Traveled easier than MCM. Lol Memories fade from 40 years ago but not the 1812 Overture demo on the MCMs.

when you build your new Chorus cabs with 1" baltic birch ply make sure that you provide some extra room for brace work especially on the back panel If you can place a central vertical brace (2.5" wide x 1" thick on edge) on the sides the top and a couple on the back. Place horizontal braces like this below and above the woofer between the woofer and the mid horn and do your best to tie all the braces together with 1x2. You will have a cabinet which with minimum materials will be extremely rigid and flex proof. Enjoy. over size the box and you can lower your tuning by 2 - 3 Hz.

stock tuning has the cabinet down 3db at 39 Hz IIRC so shoot to make the F3 about 36-37 Hz.. Line your cabinet walls with a good safe damping material like that blue jeans damping material to catch the high end response of the woofer as that can bounce and reflect through the woofer cone and out of the vents. Set the cabinets up so the mid horn is above the tweeter to get some more height you will still be less than a 1/4 wave away from the woofer at crossover so you won't suffer any sonic down side and as a bonus you will pick up a little bit of time alignment between the tweeter and the mid for free. Target to have the centre of the mid horn at your seated ear level and you should be a happy camper.

2 hours ago, moray james said:

when you build your new Chorus cabs with 1" baltic birch ply make sure that you provide some extra room for brace work especially on the back panel If you can place a central vertical brace (2.5" wide x 1" thick on edge) on the sides the top and a couple on the back. Place horizontal braces like this below and above the woofer between the woofer and the mid horn and do your best to tie all the braces together with 1x2. You will have a cabinet which with minimum materials will be extremely rigid and flex proof. Enjoy. over size the box and you can lower your tuning by 2 - 3 Hz.

stock tuning has the cabinet down 3db at 39 Hz IIRC so shoot to make the F3 about 36-37 Hz.. Line your cabinet walls with a good safe damping material like that blue jeans damping material to catch the high end response of the woofer as that can bounce and reflect through the woofer cone and out of the vents. Set the cabinets up so the mid horn is above the tweeter to get some more height you will still be less than a 1/4 wave away from the woofer at crossover so you won't suffer any sonic down side and as a bonus you will pick up a little bit of time alignment between the tweeter and the mid for free. Target to have the centre of the mid horn at your seated ear level and you should be a happy camper.

Moray on my Kp-450's they had no bracing and on the KP-456's they ran a 2 x 4 from the motorboard between the woofers to the back side and they evidently had a resonance problem with the 450's. I had intended to do the same thing with the Chorus build but are you suggesting more? Do you have any build dimensions for your oversize cabinet?

4 hours ago, Audio Flynn said:

Traveled easier than MCM. Lol Memories fade from 40 years ago but not the 1812 Overture demo on the MCMs.

It is amusing to see people jump when the quiet lead in becomes thundering bass or drums. I will have to try the Overture and see about that. It is a good thing I live way out in the country so I can do what I want.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum.  Glad you’re enjoying your H3s.  You got a great deal.  As others have said, if you come across a deal on Chorus II, you could buy them, compare, and sell whichever finishes second.

When I-69sucks, west bound, reopens you should come west to hear what subwoofers add to modified Heresys.  You could even finagle an invitation to Claude’s @ClaudeJ1 to hear his killer system, but, either way, you run the risk of heading down an extremely slippery slope.

Enjoy your H3s for now.  Don’t worry about what you might be missing; appreciate what you have.

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

.  You could even finagle an invitation to Claude’s @ClaudeJ1 to hear his killer system, but, either way, you run the risk of heading down an extremely slippery slope.

Enjoy your H3s for now.  Don’t worry about what you might be missing; appreciate what you have.

Finaglers are always welcome here, but it will cost you a 6 pack of your favorite craft beer..................but you do get to control all the remotes during your stay!

• Haha 1