Chorus ii v Heresy iii

Martin O'Neill

Ok, I posted on here a few weeks ago that I am looking for some Chorus ii.  No luck so far but I am somewhat patenice. 

A few few days ago I was offered a pair of Heresy iii for the same price as a nice pair of Chorus ii. 

I have not not heard the 3's but have read the reviews and most rave about them. 

My question should I continue to wait? Or pick up the 3's

Thanks

Wait. The Chorus plays lower than the Heresy.

However, Heresy's are more plentiful on the used market. Get a pair of Heresy's and pair them with a subwoofer. You won't look back.

You might want to consider expanding your search to include Forte's and Quartets, which are siblings to the the Chorus and have a similar footprint.

56 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

Wait. The Chorus plays lower than the Heresy.

However, Heresy's are more plentiful on the used market. Get a pair of Heresy's and pair them with a subwoofer. You won't look back.

You might want to consider expanding your search to include Forte's and Quartets, which are siblings to the the Chorus and have a similar footprint.

Good recommendations.

• Like 1

My Heritage Prices spreadsheet shows pair Ch2 at $671, H3 at $873.

I show 14 sales of the H3 and the prices are a low of $525 (an outlier) and a high of $1200.  Most are in that $900 range.

I have 26 sales of the Ch2's and that average is more stable and several sales are in the $800 range.

As always, I wish I could get anywhere near the "average price" on your spreadsheet.   Really depends where you live I would say. Go Chorus II over the heresy III unless you already have subs or plan to add those to the budget.   You are looking at double the cost over Chorus II without sounding twice as good IMO.  Recap and enjoy the chorus II.  As you are having 5rouble finding a pair, go for Chrorus I.   They are cheaper, sound great easier to find and much easier to place as well since they are front ported.  Good luck on the search. 

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

My Heritage Prices spreadsheet shows pair Ch2 at $671, H3 at $873.

I show 14 sales of the H3 and the prices are a low of $525 (an outlier) and a high of $1200.  Most are in that $900 range.

I have 26 sales of the Ch2's and that average is more stable and several sales are in the $800 range.

Thank you the 3's are only used for 6 months and are $900 I felt it was in the range of the C2 was try to compare something from  the 90's to the present H3 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martin O'Neill said:

My question should I continue to wait? Or pick up the 3's

Thanks

My advice is that it depends upon personal listening preferences and environment.

I own a pair of original Heresys and purchased Chorus IIs because because I was unhappy listening to music with a sub. I am a big fan of subs for HT ... for music not so much.

Love my CHIIs but they can be a placement headache. Still searching for the perfect positioning which both sounds good and doesn't make my living room unlivable. 

I respect your opinion, but that is original heresys VS heresy IIIs which are leagues apart.   Pairing with a sub depends on the quality of the sub. I certainly wouldn't pair a large diameter one note sub designed solely for HT impact.   You can easily pull a sub out into the room a little and smooth bass response, but lose a little bit impact.   It does require a reasomable amount of time and experimentation to get it right.   The velodyne and other servo type subs are very tight, fast and musical IMO for music.   They can be had for reasonable obey especially at the price point of the heresy IIIs.  

Electronic music.  The soul of a lot of that music lives in the bassline.   Without the USB bass frequencies properly reproduced, the music falls apart IMO.  For rock of all types however, I found the heresys damn near perfect from top to bottom for me.  Extremely smooth with no listener fatigue whatsoever and perfectly balanced.  Not fussy at all about placement and they threw a large Soundstage in my smallish room due to being able to place them farther apart.   Hope that helps a little. 

• Like 3

I have never heard the Heresy III but the physical limitations size places on it would rule it out for me. That new one has a spec sheet that says it only goes down to 58hz. So I wont hear my lower five string bass notes, my organ music, my lower Cello notes, bigger bass drums and if you like electronic music like dub forget even getting out of bed to listen. One of my favorite test songs is "Lazy" by Deep Purple and this Heresy will miss parts of that organ intro. There are more songs than you think that have deeper bass that will never show up on these Heresy's. That these are articulate in their limited range I can believe but why would I do that when by my music preferences that Chorus will fulfill 90% plus of what I listen to. Now there is another thing I like about the Chorus and that is presence. Bigger yields better presence and that does matter.

My preference would also be to not have to add a subwoofer but rather to have a purpose designed cabinet that would allow for sufficient drivers for my needs. That Chorus woofer is a great clean sound and I find the subs I have had here go deeper but muddy up things so while I can rattle the table with them they do not have real good definition. Stock Heresy's are high end book shelf speakers is what I think. Chorus is getting into the concert hall.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I respect your opinion, but that is original heresys VS heresy IIIs which are leagues apart.   Pairing with a sub depends on the quality of the sub. I certainly wouldn't pair a large diameter one note sub designed solely for HT impact.   You can easily pull a sub out into the room a little and smooth bass response, but lose a little bit impact.   It does require a reasomable amount of time and experimentation to get it right.   The velodyne and other servo type subs are very tight, fast and musical IMO for music.   They can be had for reasonable obey especially at the price point of the heresy IIIs.  

They may well be "leagues" apart but they have similar low end limitations. If you have found subs works for you that's awesome. For music, I have found, that a full range speaker sounds better to my ears. Maybe its just psychological ... who knows. Just sharing my thoughts.

1 minute ago, makos said:

They may well be "leagues" apart but they have similar low end limitations. If you have found subs works for you that's awesome. For music, I have found, that a full range speaker sounds better to my ears. Maybe its just psychological ... who knows. Just sharing my thoughts

Precisely. It is reality not psychology speaking to you.