Heresy III

StevenP

Hi everyone 

my name is Steve and about 3 weeks ago I purchased 2 H3’s and a Marantz NR1508. I’m running it on a 2 channel home theater system. Prior to that I listened to my music through a Bose SoundTouch system. So needless to say there is a difference that is beyond words to explain. I bought them in Milwaukee Wisconsin. And the young man that showed them to me said most people enjoy these particular speakers with the  assistance of a sub woofer. But the more I use them the better they get! To sum it up. They are absolutely amazing! I’ve never heard such clarity and  precision in any other speaker I’ve ever demonstrated. So my question to all of you is... Do you heresy owners run subs with your or is it just a matter of preference. Because 58Hz is a heck of a lot deeper then what I thought it would be

• Like 5

Hi Steven, welcome to the forum.

I would say that most folks do run with a sub, but personally I do not.  If you are going to purchase a sub, be sure to ask for recommendations for brand and model here.  Lots of folks to help.  Enjoy your new toys.

• Like 2

Welcome Steve. That's a very nice sound system you have. It might depend on what type of music you listen to, whether you need a sub or not. Some music has a lot more low end to the sound, and a sub will make a huge difference. When you listened to the Bose, you probably didn't realize what was missing, until you heard the H3s. Not as dramatic as that, but a sub will help. A good sub can be found on the used market easily.

I have the same speakers and have asked the same question about the sub. At this point I do not feel the need for a sub. Bass is better than I expected to be honest. I've owned subs before and if not integrated properly (which can be tricky) can actually sound worse IMHO. First, it needs to be a quality, musical sub and not one best suited for home theater effects. One that I did have before and thought it sounded way beyond it's modest price was the SpeedWoofer. Very good support and it blended with my then Magnepan MMG's fine. Just a suggestion without breaking the bank....

1 hour ago, StevenP said:

Do you heresy owners run subs with your or is it just a matter of preference

Hi Steve,

Have 3 Heresy's ... L/R/C.  Yes; do have a 15" sub ... last used it about 3 months ago ... hope that answers your question :D 

Cheers, Emile

Ill just kinda answer everyone’s questions at once. So I’m definitely a little older so what they now call classic country is my music choice for the most part and I do like 80’s pop music and the Heresys really shines  in everything thing I throw at them. Now I may be crazy but I’m also noticing that the more I use them the better they get. Could it be I’m just getting used to them or is there really a break in period 

3 minutes ago, StevenP said:

Ill just kinda answer everyone’s questions at once. So I’m definitely a little older so what they now call classic country is my music choice for the most part and I do like 80’s pop music and the Heresys really shines  in everything thing I throw at them. Now I may be crazy but I’m also noticing that the more I use them the better they get. Could it be I’m just getting used to them or is there really a break in period 

Yes, you have sufficiently been broken in. 

5 minutes ago, StevenP said:

There's a minor break in period, but nothing significant.  Play with the tone controls a bit on your Marantz.

Congrats,

Heresy IIs made me sell my 501s! the bass was much improved for me too.

I got a sub a couple of months ago from a decent maker that advertises "If you don't like it, you can send it back for a full refund"

They're aren't el-cheapos and the sealed sub I tried was pretty tight with the music, but I did send it back. They wanted a reasonable explanation which I gave them and they honored their word. It was a single SVS SB200 I tried.

Some of the more industrious build folded subs here that I'm sure I would have loved!!

@StevenP,

Welcome to the forum.

I do not currently use subs with either my Heresys or Heresy 2s because they sound great without them.  Both sets in their particular rooms benefit from boundary gain which extends the low end to frequencies that I am happy with.  With that said, when I did in the past add a sub to these setups, their was a noticeable improvement in extension and presence.

Bill

I have a couple single subs. The baddest is a Bluesky SUB212. Two push-Pull 12” drivers in a large sealed cabinet. One is front firing and the other floor. Each has a  real 200 watt discrete AB bipolar amp. Another sub is a little smaller Bluesky SUB12. One driver and amplifier. Maybe 80 pounds instead of over a 100 for the 212.

These are beasts. Bluesky formed from the ashes of M&K. They know subs.

Have several smaller. But more important is how you do the crossover. 

I use Channl D’s Pure Music playback software. It is a 64 bit software crossover. Selectable frequency, slopes, and gain. That comes in handy when matching a Klipsch with a sub. If gains are the same you will never hear the sub. Usually roll the sub off at 6 dB and the Klipsch at 18 dB/octave. Around 60 - 65 Hz.

Both my Hiii and LSii are better with a sub rumbling along. Bring the sub in at a low level. Subs are better being dialed in too low than too high. You should never be able to localize the sub.

I use a dac with four channel monitor output to make this happen. One knob adjusts output digitally for all four channels and sub and software sum the bass to one channel.

I think ALL the crossovers built into subs will hurt the sonics. Some more than others. If I did not have a software crossover and four channel dac running the Klipsch full range would be very tempting.

I have a pair of 1990 Heresy IIs along with a pair of SVS SB-2000 speakers.  The Heresy IIs are on sand filled metal stands that are about 30" tall.  That puts the midrange and tweeter at ear level when seated.  I also have them toed in so they are aimed at the center of the main listening position.

For music, the Heresy IIs on their own are fantastic.  Even raised up on stands their bass output is superb for what they are.  I run them full range without the subwoofers for most music.

For movies I set a 50Hz crossover.  My receiver only allows crossover points of 50, 80, 100, 150 and 200Hz.  I find 50Hz works awesome to pick up where the Heresy IIs leave off and makes the subwoofers virtually impossible to localize.

I run Heresy III powered by an Elekit TU-8200 DX running JJ KT88 tubes and just started running a MartinLogan Dynamo 700W.  The sub is taken off the speaker outputs, through a speaker-to-line-level circuit, then to the wireless transmitter for the Sub.

To start - I'm not turning back.  The sub brings the two-channel system to a whole new level.  Took a couple weeks to get right, but once I got it right the subwoofer just disappeared.  I didn't think I needed a sub but it really allows the Heresys to shine.  I find I run at a lower volume as I'm not trying to get bass, and by doing so the system as a whole is less boomy in my room.  The Heresys are running full range, and I have the Subwoofer set to around 60Hz (two pole filter - 12dB/Octave) and the volume on the sub quite low.

I was considering the Dynamo 700W, the SVS SB-2000, the entry-level Rythmik, and perhaps one or two others.  I ended up going with the Dynamo as it is the smallest of what I considered, I thought I'd use the wireless (correctly), and the Class AB amp vs. Class D (pure bias on my part).  I got a reasonable deal on the Sub (under $400 new), and if another pops up for a reasonable price I'll likely add it.