Advice on expanding set up from RP-160m to RP-280f

Gav_logan

Hi all,

First of all, I'm really not too knowledgeable about a lot of this stuff, so thanks loads for any assistance.

I currently have a set of rp-160ms set up as my main front speakers (in a very average 4.1 set up).

They're powered by a Yamaha HTR-6068 receiver, accompanied by R10sw and a cheap pair of welling tower speakers at the back. I purchased the Klipsch and Yamaha at the same time a couple of years ago, the wellings were what I had sitting around.

Whilst there's a lot I love about the RP160m, I'm probably not getting the amazing sound I'd hoped for. It's great, but not enough.

First of all, I'm not sure whether it's due to the amp or speakers, or placement. 

Over the weekend, I was listening to music fairly loud, and when I switched the receiver to "party mode", it sounded quite a bit better. I was surprised that adding the wellings to the mix actually made it sound better.

I was considering buying some RP-280f and swapping the rp160-m to the rear speakers but wanted to ask all of you gurus if you think this is the way to go. Is my amp powerful enough for a) what I currently have and b) what I'm looking to do. I'd just been going down the power amp rabbit hole, but I think I've just worked out that I don't have pre-outs in my receiver :(

Thanks again, all!

The 280s would be a massive jump up from the 160s.

This is somewhat room dependant but keep in mind that your surround speakers should be placed to your side, not behind you.  If you upgrade from there then you would add rear surrounds.

The RP-160M’s are no slouch. I used to run 4 of them with a RP-450C center with dual subs and that setup was 90%  of what my Palladium’s were for movies. 

What at is your main purpose for the speakers (HT or music) and how large is the room? 

On 10/30/2018 at 11:56 AM, K5SS said:

The RP-160M’s are no slouch. I used to run 4 of them with a RP-450C center with dual subs and that setup was 90%  of what my Palladium’s were for movies. 

What at is your main purpose for the speakers (HT or music) and how large is the room? 

Thanks K5SS. In terms of hours, it would get more use in HT, but I'd be most picky about the quality of sound from the music. I've attached a rough plan of the room. The picture of the TV/Speakers is an indication of where it's set up (the cabinet is at the bottom of the plan, fit in to the 2.43 metre section).

The cabinet fits in this section perfectly, but I've pulled it forward quite a lot to give the speakers / ports a little room (55cm). 

If I was to add towers, they'd either have to go on top of the cabinet, or in front of it. How bad would it be if I put the 280s on top of the cabinet?1170780873_livingroomplan.thumb.jpg.2ace5d2220124ab156230d4dab66c050.jpgtv.thumb.jpg.04625bcc46574359f9ae4311635d8d49.jpg

On 10/30/2018 at 5:05 PM, wuzzzer said:

The HTR Yamahas are kind of low end but Klipsch speakers don't need a ton of power.

Going to the new RX-V or RX-A series would be a nice upgrade, if you chose to do so.

Thanks again, Wuzzer. I'm a little annoyed that I chose an amp that doesn't have an option to add a power amp so I'd probably like to allow for this if I have to purchase another. 

I'm thinking It'd make more sense to buy a power amp (like monoprice monolith) and a lower end receiver. Any thoughts?

Edited by Gav_logan
Ooops, forgot photos.

Get a receiver that has the options you require, especially preamp outputs in your case.

Sometimes going with an avr that's 2-4 years old can get you one for 50-75% off it's original price.

If you go new, check out accessories4less.com for great deals on factory refurbished gear.  I bought my Pioneer Elite receiver from them, $1,000 msrp for $459 shipped.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2018 at 12:10 PM, wuzzzer said:

Get a receiver that has the options you require, especially preamp outputs in your case.

Sometimes going with an avr that's 2-4 years old can get you one for 50-75% off it's original price.

If you go new, check out accessories4less.com for great deals on factory refurbished gear.  I bought my Pioneer Elite receiver from them, $1,000 msrp for $459 shipped.

Wow, that's a great site!

I'm in Australia but it looks like it could be worth shipping / freight forwarding etc.

Would you suggest going with a similar receiver to yours?

Gee this is consuming, now!

Can't decide between ONKYO TX-RZ820, MARANTZ SR5012, PIONEERElite VSX-LX503 or YAMAHARX-A1060.