Political Advertising ... sick of it?

Emile

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

The texting has gotten out of hand.  I try to start an argument with whoever does it regardless of party affiliation.  There are people sending them, not bots.  One was really upset that I called her a minion.

I know I'm probably throwing a jinx on....but I've never received a political ad text.  Likely because the politicians in Indiana are not all that savvy.....

24 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:
2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

The texting has gotten out of hand.  I try to start an argument with whoever does it regardless of party affiliation.  There are people sending them, not bots.  One was really upset that I called her a minion.

I didn't know this existed and have never gotten a political text and this cycle haven't received any phone calls--Thank god I'm not on any list. 

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

I didn't know this existed and have never gotten a political text and this cycle haven't received any phone calls--Thank god I'm not on any list. 

It's horrible and normally a page long text.  I've been averaging one a day but it seems to be ramping up.  I do enjoy messing with them though.  Normally the last line of text is something to the effect of "can we count on your support" or "can we count on your vote".  I asked one texter that if I said yes would they quit texting me.  Sometimes I'll ask them what they are wearing.  That normally ends the conversation.

• Like 3

Not having TV or Facebook has greatly reduced my exposure to ads but I do get blasted on YouTube. Colorado has two pretty heavy ballot measures with Amendment 112 and Prop 76 which would have some serious ramifications and the oil industry is dumping money in to stop 112. Basically, 112 was written by an extreme environmental group to shut down gas drilling in Colorado by making 2500 ft setbacks for new wells from Housing, irrigation canals, creeks and vulnerable areas. It sounds reasonable at first but its so vaguely written that it would shut down 85% of the new land for drilling in CO. In response, the oil companies put out Amendment 76 which would allow them to sue any local government for loss of property value if they cannot drill due to 112. So if both pass, CO would lose massive tax revenue from drilling and also be sued into oblivion by pissed off multi-national energy corporations. :unsure:

30 minutes ago, twk123 said:

Not having TV or Facebook has greatly reduced my exposure to ads but I do get blasted on YouTube. Colorado has two pretty heavy ballot measures with Amendment 112 and Prop 76 which would have some serious ramifications and the oil industry is dumping money in to stop 112. Basically, 112 was written by an extreme environmental group to shut down gas drilling in Colorado by making 2500 ft setbacks for new wells from Housing, irrigation canals, creeks and vulnerable areas. It sounds reasonable at first but its so vaguely written that it would shut down 85% of the new land for drilling in CO. In response, the oil companies put out Amendment 76 which would allow them to sue any local government for loss of property value if they cannot drill due to 112. So if both pass, CO would lose massive tax revenue from drilling and also be sued into oblivion by pissed off multi-national energy corporations. :unsure:

I bet Colorado isn't short on cash with their Grass sales.  Been through a lot of fracking in my area and its not pretty on top or when they start packing the fluid back down.  We had tremors registering over 4 here before the public started pushing back.   Natural gas is the cheapest commodity current around here and there is lots of it.  There should be areas that we protect IMO and I would include Colorado in on it.

1 hour ago, Max2 said:

I bet Colorado isn't short on cash with their Grass sales.  Been through a lot of fracking in my area and its not pretty on top or when they start packing the fluid back down.  We had tremors registering over 4 here before the public started pushing back.   Natural gas is the cheapest commodity current around here and there is lots of it.  There should be areas that we protect IMO and I would include Colorado in on it.

I have no problem with setbacks from residential and actual vulnerable areas but I do have an issue with poorly written legislation that can be abused down the road. Fracking has its own problems and I dont want wells near houses or schools but having a backdoor ban hidden under the guise of safety is bad politics in my opinion. If we want a ban on wells lets just call it that and have an honest discussion. Prop 112 is advertised in a way that it makes it look like you dont care about neighborhoods if you dont support it despite the bait and switch verbiage. Amendment 74 is the same thing on the other side and its a a way for the corporations to hold Colorado hostage for passing the law.