Political Advertising ... sick of it?

Emile

6 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Could this law constitute a taking of private property for public use, requiring compensation to the owner?

Its an amendment that states that if your property value is decreased due to legislation or other government action, the government could be held liable for the damages. In normal instances it sounds reasonable but this is bundled in with 112 where it looks like the energy companies are priming to sue the local governments for losses if they cannot drill on purchased land due to the setbacks. I think they are hedging their bets in case 112 passes and the local gov. prevents drilling because its too close to an irrigation ditch etc, the company can threaten a lawsuit to push the well construction.

2 hours ago, T2K said:

I, like half the population, find political ads a great source for alternate facts. You can't believe what politicians do, just believe what they say. Truth isn't Truth.

Keith

Look at their voting record and what their state is doing on a national level. I agree with what you are saying but we do live in the Information Age so conscientious voters can research if their  politicians are trying to pull the wool over their eyes...

Just now, Zen Traveler said:

I remember something about giving up our mineral rights in the mortgage we signed--I took for granted that pretty much everyone gave those up.

Nope.  The law states a conveyance in land conveys all rights in the land, except those which the grantor reserves and excepts.  A reservation is where the grantor keeps rights he has.  An exception is where the grantor is saying he is not conveying rights which are held by third-parties (usually these are prior conveyances of rights made by him or his predecessors in interest).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Look at their voting record and what their state is doing on a national level. I agree with what you are saying but we do live in the Information Age so conscientious voters can research if their  politicians are trying to pull the wool over their eyes...

It's pretty simple. One politician promises to kiss my @ss. Another politician promises to kick my @***. As their past practice supports their promises, I choose the kicker since he's a self-professed christian(small c) holding a gun.

Keith

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

no idea what you are talking about.

An entire industry of people ie. their computers (knowingly or not) calling you that never existed before. They got phone numbers/info sold to them by city/county/utility/state/or ? entities.

They (the pc call that starts with a bluip electronic sound sometimes) now even sometimes state "This is not a Solicitation" "Don't hang up!" Cindy or Bob or whatever the recording identifies itself as. Erroneously talking about your car warranty, appliance warranty, your roof, your credit cards (they won't say which one...they hang up) and the freaking swamp rats.

The national do-not-call list that will not stop the politic-rats from calling.

We let the answering machine pick up unless we recognize the name/number for the past decade. That's different too.

This never-ever occurred prior to 2008 so I know where this shovel-ready-bullya industry came from.

• Like 1

The internet has slowly been eroding the curtains politicians have been using to hide their unscrupulous activities/agendas for decades. 

This new generation of informed voters is going to change the way this country is run. The nation grows weary of the rampant greed and scandals that has been undermining the values of our system. 

Money does and has corrupted the system and now is the time to pull the money out so voters can formulate unbiased opinions based of facts instead of what corporations/media want you to believe. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. are the worst offenders, even when they do a much better job of hiding their partisanship. 

The media can’t help but flavor the news, which is making it almost impossible  to watch without leaning towards the presenter’s opinions. This has to stop or everyone needs to boycott any and all biased news sources. The echo-chamber effect is very real and very dangerous. 

I don’t normally get political but this coconut americano has me a little more fired up than normal this morning..

That's tantamount to saying, "Life has to stop."  There is no way to get money out of politics.  Politics exists because of money.  The trick is to learn not to care too much about it.

There (hopefully) will always be endless spin in the "news."  It allows a light to shine on the imperfect human condition.  

Contrary to people growing weary of this, all I see is heightened interest - measured in part by record-setting voter turnouts, etc.   It's not for everyone, though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, K5SS said:

The internet has slowly been eroding the curtains politicians have been using to hide their unscrupulous activities/agendas for decades. 

This new generation of informed voters is going to change the way this country is run. The nation grows weary of the rampant greed and scandals that has been undermining the values of our system. 

Money does and has corrupted the system and now is the time to pull the money out so voters can formulate unbiased opinions based of facts instead of what corporations/media want you to believe. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. are the worst offenders, even when they do a much better job of hiding their partisanship. 

The media can’t help but flavor the news, which is making it almost impossible  to watch without leaning towards the presenter’s opinions. This has to stop or everyone needs to boycott any and all biased news sources. The echo-chamber effect is very real and very dangerous. 

I don’t normally get political but this coconut americano has me a little more fired up than normal this morning..

IMO,  you may change who is in power, but you won't change the political corruption that is basically a glorified term for barter.     Someone always wants something and are willing to trade for something else, whether a vote or compensation.  Always been there and always will be.  As far as news goes, I think its all 90% cake frosting and 10% cake and thats no matter who you watch or listen to.   The modern info wars go and how no one can escape them, we are learning that all these upper politicians, musicians, socialites and actors are the same idiots we have living down the street, but just have money and think they have superior view or agenda. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I read an article that tax revenues on MJ sales in CO exceed its tax revenues on alcohol sales by a margin of around 3 to 1.

I don't have a problem with it, but would be interested in seeing what it is doing to the younger generation or 13-18 year olds.  If they're not careful out there, soon there may not be any kids that can figure out how much change they owe you in a drive through or 7/11 :)     

• Haha 1

It seems a lot of the criticism comes from people looking for a way to take politicians out of politics.  

I was conversing with some friends while we were vacationing in Colorado.  One is from China.  The subject concerned communism under Chinese rule and how the government will come and take your business away from you if they want it.  At that point is when it occurred to me that that is the inherent flaw in communism.  

Communism doesn't account for individual talent.  If, for example, a business mogul has an uncanny talent for making money, it is his gift.  Not everyone has that sort of talent, though there are many other kinds of talent.

The key to building national wealth is to allow the talented people to do their thing.  At some point, it has to be constrained - for example, to avoid monopoly and unconscionable conduct, and also to tax them.  From a government's perspective, the key is to tax them - not take them out of the game.

The same goes for bankers and investors.  If you take these folks out of Wall St., Wall St. will die.  They are Wall St.

The same goes for politicians.  They serve a vital purpose.  I am content to watch them duke it out.  I might be critical of them, but in the end, I recognize that their presence plays a vital role in my good life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It seems a lot of the criticism comes from people looking for a way to take politicians out of politics.  

I was conversing with some friends while we were vacationing in Colorado.  One is from China.  The subject concerned communism under Chinese rule and how the government will come and take your business away from you if they want it.  At that point is when it occurred to me that that is the inherent flaw in communism.  

Communism doesn't account for individual talent.  If, for example, a business mogul has an uncanny talent for making money, it is his gift.  Not everyone has that sort of talent, though there are many other kinds of talent.

The key to building national wealth is to allow the talented people to do their thing.  At some point, it has to be constrained - for example, to avoid monopoly and unconscionable conduct, and also to tax them.  From a government's perspective, the key is to tax them - not take them out of the game.

The same goes for bankers and investors.  If you take these folks out of Wall St., Wall St. will die.  They are Wall St.

The same goes for politicians.  They serve a vital purpose.  I am content to watch them duke it out.  I might be critical of them, but in the end, I recognize that their presence plays a vital role in my good life.

It is interesting to listen to so many that over simplify in correcting America's structure and the obstacles it has new and old. 

Having said that, we have a lot of very silly laws, but I will take them all day long compared to anywhere on this planet. 

We are the lucky ones, but so many don't see it that way for some reason

2 hours ago, K5SS said:

Great observation but the fly in the ointment we found out last election was that Bots and Fake accounts can dominate discussions--I recently joined Facebook after the hoopla and was glad to see that they are trying to do something about that aspect of their business model and wish Twitter would go as far as well.

2 hours ago, K5SS said:

I too have optimism on this front and we will see how the 2018 election goes....My wife and I early voted and it seems we are still in the minority given the makeup of the folks we saw at the polling place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Contrary to people growing weary of this, all I see is heightened interest - measured in part by record-setting voter turnouts, etc.   It's not for everyone, though.

No comment on the first part  of your post but I agree with this sentiment. 

2 hours ago, Max2 said:

IMO,  you may change who is in power, but you won't change the political corruption that is basically a glorified term for barter.

Sure you can. We live in the information age with a hard hitting media. The mistake people make is not vetting their candidates and letting them get away with either lying or not disclosing their financial arrangements. 

38 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:
43 minutes ago, Max2 said:

We are the lucky ones, but so many don't see it that way for some reason

No doubt.  I think a lot of people want to feel cheated as a way to deal with self-esteem issues in a "Keep up with the Joneses" society.

C'mon, Jeff! We also have "upper-echelon " Americans acting like the spoiled rich kid who everyone is against--Neither or both can be true depending on who is doing the diagnosing. That said, I realize I am fortunate to be an American having traveled abroad and being globally conscious...