Political Advertising ... sick of it?

Emile

3 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:
45 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:
50 minutes ago, Max2 said:

We are the lucky ones, but so many don't see it that way for some reason

No doubt.  I think a lot of people want to feel cheated as a way to deal with self-esteem issues in a "Keep up with the Joneses" society.

C'mon, Jeff! We also have "upper-echelon " Americans acting like the spoiled rich kid who everyone is against--Neither or both can be true depending on who is doing the diagnosing. That said, I realize I am fortunate to be an American having traveled abroad and being globally conscious...

What made you think these folks weren't included in my statement?  Yachts vs. speakers... It's all the same game.

26 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

No comment on the first part  of your post but I agree with this sentiment. 

Sure you can. We live in the information age with a hard hitting media. The mistake people make is not vetting their candidates and letting them get away with either lying or not disclosing their financial arrangements. 

Who wants to be a candidate?   Besides, the new up comers just fall in line like a freshman in college. They all will learn to play ball my friend, they all do.

5 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:
5 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:
5 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:
5 hours ago, Max2 said:

We are the lucky ones, but so many don't see it that way for some reason

No doubt.  I think a lot of people want to feel cheated as a way to deal with self-esteem issues in a "Keep up with the Joneses" society.

C'mon, Jeff! We also have "upper-echelon " Americans acting like the spoiled rich kid who everyone is against--Neither or both can be true depending on who is doing the diagnosing. That said, I realize I am fortunate to be an American having traveled abroad and being globally conscious...

What made you think these folks weren't included in my statement?  Yachts vs. speakers... It's all the same game

Because  that is not where the dividing line is....It's about the haves and the have not's. No one in the lower rung is playing that game and it appears you are talking about what goes on in "keeping up with the jones" society which is clearly the folks who feel the need to build gold-filled palaces or strive to have that as a goal....Some of us who have great lives just want to keep our Healthcare. 

3 hours ago, T2K said:
4 hours ago, Max2 said:

the new up comers just fall in line

You rotate them, just like stocking pickles on the grocery shelf.

Funny analogy but I think we replace them with the kind that did our bidding as citizens before. Like I mentioned, having affordable Healthcare isn't a partisan issue.

3 hours ago, Ski Bum said:
4 hours ago, Max2 said:

Who wants to be a candidate?

Scoundrels and low-lifes. Or so said the venerable Mark Twain about a hundred years ago.  The more things change...

...The more we can learn from our mistakes and to differentiate between the change we want and the change that is thrust upon us--We have ALOT more information than Mark Twain had.

On 10/29/2018 at 6:50 PM, Marvel said:

Wife and I voted Saturday... took about an hour and a half. Really packed and only five machines.

In my state, we vote by mail or just put our sealed ballots in the handy ballot boxes in shopping centers.  My wife and I voted yesterday; filling out the ballots in the comfort of home took about 20 minutes, including discussion, and we were going to the grocery store anyway.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:07 PM, Emile said:

Hi All,

Could not resist posting this ... I am sooo tired of all these political adds ... get 20 flyers in the mail each day ... plus at least 20 calls :(  Of course I'm in Florida, so it's probably worse here :(  The Senate races have spend about $90 million ... haha almost $5 per resident :(  

The political ads are 90% false :(  (I have quit giving any contributions ... but I guess they are getting their money "everywhere" :( )

How do we stop this "madness?"

Cheers, Emile

. o O (offer 4 pages on the internet) with a buffet

• Haha 1

I honestly believe the information that is at our fingertips, each and everyday, is going to evolve the human species faster than we can fathom. Spiritually, economically, physically, politically etc., I am talking who we are, what we do, everything. 

My biggest concern with this evolution is who will be responsible for “releasing” this information to the masses and if they decide to color that information for their own personal benefits or not. 

On 10/29/2018 at 7:19 PM, JohnJ said:

How do I get rid of the jw's and the other ones on the bicycles?

I actually enjoy talking with them if I have time, and after making it clear that I won't be taking classes with them, and that I prefer people of a wide variety of orientations to drop by, not people from the same group repeatedly.  We often exchange the names of books we think the other might benefit from reading. 

I had a next door neighbor, a very old man, who knew the book almost photographically.  One time, a pair of these folk talked with me a while, then I said something like, "You know, my neighbor is really into this stuff, I'll bet you would enjoy talking to him!"  They went to his place.  I kept checking, 5 minutes, 10, 20, perhaps as long as 30 minutes.  Then the old man did something I never witnessed him doing before or since.  He raised his voice.  "Whaddya mean," he bellowed, "I've been studying it for 80 years!"

I try to remain open and respectful.  I, too, have my orientation, and I'm partial to the story of the Blind Men and the Elephant. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, K5SS said:

My biggest concern with this evolution is who will be responsible for “releasing” this information to the masses

You can get your information directly from the horse's mouth many times. If you rely/ believe what you read then the chances that you are mis-informed is high.

8 minutes ago, T2K said:

You can get your information directly from the horse's mouth many times. If you rely/ believe what you read then the chances that you are mis-informed is high.

The problem with technology is that unless you were there, to hear the horse flapping it’s gums, even videos can be “altered” to reflect bias.

Just watch how the media can leave a small portion  of an interview/conversation out and that small dropped portion, could totally change the entire way that interview comes across. 

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Funny analogy but I think we replace them with the kind that did our bidding as citizens before. Like I mentioned, having affordable Healthcare isn't a partisan issue.

Well, that would be your concern if you have been affected by Healthcare costs. If you are one of the many that live in the dream world that their health will never be an issue in their lives then Healthcare costs are not an important issue. I personally do have great concern for others Healthcare costs because I have recently met many people that cannot afford the costs of some care and therefore die prematurely. I think of it as Domestic Oppression. This Domestic Oppression concerns me more than Chinese Oppression because I don't know any Chinese people.

Keith

1 hour ago, K5SS said:

I honestly believe the information that is at our fingertips, each and everyday, is going to evolve the human species faster than we can fathom. Spiritually, economically, physically, politically etc., I am talking who we are, what we do, everything. 

My biggest concern with this evolution is who will be responsible for “releasing” this information to the masses and if they decide to color that information for their own personal benefits or not. 

This just shows you have no idea of what evolution really is.

56 minutes ago, T2K said:

Well, that would be your concern if you have been affected by Healthcare costs. If you are one of the many that live in the dream world that their health will never be an issue in their lives then Healthcare costs are not an important issue. I personally do have great concern for others Healthcare costs because I have recently met many people that cannot afford the costs of some care and therefore die prematurely. I think of it as Domestic Oppression. This Domestic Oppression concerns me more than Chinese Oppression because I don't know any Chinese people.

Keith

But jeff does.

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

This just shows you have no idea of what evolution really is.

Or it’s that you haven’t evolved enough to follow along..

ev·o·lu·tion
/ˌevəˈlo͞oSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1. 
    the process by which different kinds of living organisms are thought to have developed and diversified from earlier forms during the history of the earth.
    synonyms: Darwinismnatural selection
    "his interest in evolution"
  2. 2. 
    the gradual development of something, especially from a simple to a more complex form.

Sorry, had to oldtimer😬

sat·ire
/ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/
noun
  1. the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

12 hours ago, K5SS said:

Right now we are having that discussion. More is going to come out as the Russian Investigation takes center stage but what we already know is that media/entertainment is adjusting to what happened. Some media outlets seem to be calling foul when exposed as not being as factual as traditional news outlets are supposed to be and "Fake News" is being exposed. Fwiw, I hope the trend keeps happening.

• Like 2