Political Advertising ... sick of it?

Emile

12 hours ago, T2K said:

You can get your information directly from the horse's mouth many times.

Great observation, Keith. You can really tell what a politician thinks by reading their Twitter account. Otoh, when that elected official represents you, consider that others are making judgements as well. 

11 hours ago, K5SS said:

The problem with technology is that unless you were there, to hear the horse flapping it’s gums, even videos can be “altered” to reflect bias.

Imo, there isn't a problem with technology but with how people get their news--I can't believe people spend more time debating the media's influence and picking sides, than discussing the actual issues they are reporting on. That's my take. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, T2K said:
13 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Funny analogy but I think we replace them with the kind that did our bidding as citizens before. Like I mentioned, having affordable Healthcare isn't a partisan issue.

Well, that would be your concern if you have been affected by Healthcare costs. If you are one of the many that live in the dream world that their health will never be an issue in their lives then Healthcare costs are not an important issue

Oh, no. I have been blessed with excellent health and about to make it to 55 years old without any issues...The problem arose back in 2008 when even though I was in good health and not using the Healthcare system in a big way our monthly premiums were more than we were paying in taxes....Truth is, even when folks are active and in good health, shit happens especially when you get over the age of 50. {Note: I just found out I need surgery and they consider it "elective." 😲}

Fwiw, I think you and I both are making the same point and am glad we are still having these same kind of conversations. Cheers! while I finish my last cup of coffee and get back to work. ;) 

13 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

...The more we can learn from our mistakes and to differentiate between the change we want and the change that is thrust upon us--We have ALOT more information than Mark Twain had.

You're more the optimist than I.  Sure, there is more information at our fingertips, but instead of being a driver of informed change it has obscured facts and truth in a sea of irrelevancy/misinformation, and we're left with sectarian groups choosing their own truth based on tribal affiliation.  Truly post-modern times we live in.

Twain's insights into human nature and politics are as true today as they ever were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ski Bum said:

You're more the optimist than I. 

Maybe so.

Sure, there is more information at our fingertips, but instead of being a driver of informed change it has obscured facts and truth in a sea of irrelevancy/misinformation,...

That is again one of the reason it's good to have this conversation to expose that it's the facts that matter and one needs to step away from the punditry. 

and we're left with sectarian groups choosing their own truth based on tribal affiliation. 

Not if they choose to engage in conversation with those that may not agree with them--If they don't then let's hope there's enough of us that realize we can't be right all of the time. ;) 

Truly post-modern times we live in.

Twain's insights into human nature and politics are as true today as they ever were.

We've come full circle. I agree that Mr Twain was a talented genius but tend to think in the Information Age we live this will only be a self-fulfilling prophecy for those that don't engage as I suggest. :) Who knows.....

34 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

31 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

People have always and will always lie.  It's just easier now to broadcast the lie.

This one was started on twitter from the very top and had nothing to do with the media, except they kept broadcasting that it/they were made.

29 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

People have always and will always lie.

Carl, I know you meant this in general terms, but I honestly don't think I've told even the smallest lie in a very long time. The reason is simple. I don't want my kid to think it's ok. Caught him telling me a couple of them the other day and confronted him about it. He stated "everybody tells them". I asked "when have I told you one?" He was silenced. It's really easy to tell the truth.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JL Sargent said:

Carl, I know you meant this in general terms

Yes, in general.  Certainly not everyone.

Here at work sometimes things don't go as planned.  My employees will ask me "what should I tell the customer?"  I always say. "the truth".  You'll never forget what you told them and if they ask someone else, they'll get the same answer.

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

if they ask someone else, they'll get the same answer.

Exactly!

As far as politics and the associated advertising goes, I despise it. I'm always voting for the lesser of two evils. I don't seem to want any of them to win! 

18 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

As far as politics and the associated advertising goes, I despise it. I'm always voting for the lesser of two evils. I don't seem to want any of them to win! 

Another thing is not all politicians tell (big) lies which was one of the great things about having the BS Forum. We could separate the wheat from the chaff--If you called an elected official or a person running for office a liar then you'd better have the evidence to back it up or you'd have egg on your face. Nowadays, the words gets thrown out there and doesn't get  much scrutiny from either side. Just childish banter which should be more substantive just as we expect from our families and spiritual leaders.

12 minutes ago, T2K said:

I would post this on Facebutt

Ha! I posted a link on my Facebutt page to the headline today of one media source ranting about a pundit from another media source (it was their TOP story) and begged folks to realize this isn't NEWS! Who cares what ANY of these pundits think when we live in an age to see/read/hear what the PLAYERS are saying n  real-time. 

1 minute ago, JL Sargent said:

Don't you want to walk around in a semi-trance all the time? :)

I do that now but it's because the Crimson Tide just keeps winning game after game, Championship after Championship. Over and over again, it's like Ground Hog Day. But at least the trance is quarantined to the SEC. People up around Michigan and Ohio have rarely, if ever, experienced the trance.

Keith

9 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:
21 hours ago, K5SS said:

The problem with technology is that unless you were there, to hear the horse flapping it’s gums, even videos can be “altered” to reflect bias.

Imo, there isn't a problem with technology but with how people get their news--I can't believe people spend more time debating the media's influence and picking sides, than discussing the actual issues they are reporting on. That's my take. 

It's easy to hurl criticisms like these, but facts are becoming harder and harder to come by in the media.  Speaking of the media's influence, why isn't it equally "unbelievable" that some of us spend more time debating the Russian media's influence and picking sides?  Just wondering...

And oh, what if American media outlets engaged in similar local propaganda campaigns using the same techniques as the Russians did?  Would that be permitted free speech, or would you suggest putting them on the Magnitsky list, too?  I'd be curious to see how you'd have our government police the US media.

4 hours ago, T2K said:

Who cares. At least we, us right here, are all happy in our own little world. F*** everyone else. (I would post this on Facebutt and those other things but I don't own a "SMART" phone)

It is a symptom of our happiness.  If life was hard enough (as it is in other parts of the world), we'd be too busy grubbing and working for food to waste time on this childish nonsense and rumor-mongering.

• Like 1