Brand New RP-280F Exterior Finish Quality Problems

Kris

I ordered and received brand new RP-280F speakers last week direct from Klipsch. I unpacked and inspected them and found finish quality problems. I am disappointed in Klipsch quality, as this is turning out to be a consistent theme with their products I have purchased. Refer to descriptions below and pictures for problems with RP-280F speakers:

1. Veneer peeling/lifting. 

It appears that the veneer was either never properly finished or has been damaged due to insufficient packing method and materials. 

2. Scratch/marks lines above tweeter.

I am not sure if this is from initial manufacturing or from damage due to pressure on mesh grill against vinyl finish during shipping. I don't know if foam that is normally between grill and speaker during shipping was correctly placed or not.  

3. Adhesive residue above rear port. 

There is an adhesive mark on above the reflex port on the rear. At least this is not normally seen since it is on the back, but still disappointing that there is such poor care and poor attention to detail during manufacturing. 

20181027_112708_2.jpg

20181027_114040_3.jpg

20181023_215141_3.jpg

I would not be satisfied w/ any sort of repair.  ..I would insist on replacement of both speakers.  ...When we spend the kinda money we do on audio gear, the stuff needs to be absolutely perfect.  ..No nicks, mars, scratches, etc.  I'm sure Klipsch will comply (they did for me, anyway).

If I have one complaint about klipsch it's that their packaging -  based on my experience and several expressed here - is woefully inadequate.  I had to go through two pairs of Cornwall III's before I finally had a perfect pair.  I can only speculate that Klipsch feels the savings from using cheap packaging is greater than the cost of replacing the X% of speakers that arrive damaged.  What this calculation fails to capture, however, is that it's an aggravation to their customers; customers who may not come back the next time they buy gear. 

16 minutes ago, Kris said:

I have filed a return request. As of now though, I have to pay return shipping at a cost of approximately CDN$146.00. 

=== that’s ridiculous. Shouldn’t be your responsibility $$$ to return a flawed/damaged product bought as new. Keep fighting it and go up the ladder to someone that Really is a decider. As for paying the $146, tell them to pound sand — 

• Like 1

I agree with Richieb, they should send you a Fed ex or UPS return label. This is what happens when profit exceeds quality and customer satisfaction. You'd think a manufacturer like Klipsch would have better shipping. Most speaker manufactures have excellent packing materials and procedures. Now you know why so few won't ship speakers purchased on eBay. It's just not worth having to go through all the crap arguing with the carrier. They bang around the boxes and just don't care. At least that's what's happened to me numerous times with speakers and electronics. I refused shipping a nice pair of Sansui 3 ways just for that reason.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

The final price to ship back one speaker to Klipsch Canada using same carrier as they used to ship to me using lowest cost ground shipping option was CDN$231, which at this point is still my expense. After repacking it, it appears that the corner with the veneer peeling was due to impact of that corner after boxing during handling at factory, warehouses, or shippers. The result of impact can be traced from box exterior to styrofoam to speaker enclosure. If the packaging was better , a packaging corner impact would not have damaged speaker. I will post pictures later.

Edited by Kris

On 11/8/2018 at 12:07 PM, Kris said:

The final price to ship back one speaker to Klipsch Canada using same carrier as they used to ship to me using lowest cost ground shipping option was CDN$231, which at this point is still my expense. After repacking it, it appears that the corner with the veneer peeling was due to impact of that corner after boxing during handling at factory, warehouses, or shippers. The result of impact can be traced from box exterior to styrofoam to speaker enclosure. If the packaging was better , a packaging corner impact would not have damaged speaker. I will post pictures later.

Kris: here is some advice, do with it what you will. First, the box that you got  your loudspeaker(s) in is not a shipping container it is a package which allows a dealer to move stock about with reasonable care and not damage the product. Yes I know people ship in these boxes but that  does not make it a shipping container. I think you have already figured out the packaging is minimal at best and hence your situation.

Second, when you ship anything by the least expensive way you are guaranteeing that it will go the slowest way and that it will be handled the most which increases risk of damage. The fastest method of shipping insures the least amount of handling and the least risk of damage.

Third if you make up a secondary package and use 3/4" of hard foam material to line the inside and a three layer cardboard to go around the factory package then request (prearrange this with the distributor) your new replacement speaker be returned to you in the extra new box that you provided you should get your new speaker back in good condition. Good luck and I am sorry that you have had this problem.

PS: any loudspeaker which has risers installed needs to be shipped with the risers up to the top of the package to prevent damage. Though it may seem counter intuitive the flat top will take any impact much better than the risers can. That said I always ad an extra layer of 3/4 - 1" thick hard Styrofoam below the top and an extra layer of cardboard or even a 1/4" piece of plywood to insure the top of the speaker is not marked or damaged. The farther a loudspeaker is going and the more handling it will receive determines just how much more packing I use. The fastest shipping method will always have the least handling and the least risk of damage.

• Like 1