Home Theater setup in a very small room

RADH

Hi, 

So recently I purchased a projector for my room to mainly game on but because I have been enjoying it a lot for movies as well, I thought I should upgrade my "sound system" ( bose companion  computer speakers or my headphones ).

Looking around for a while I now know that Klipsch is one of the best sounds systems that you could get, however I have a very small room and my concern is pissing off the neighbors since I can hear them snore at night 😂, I'm not saying that I will be using them past 7-8pm but I wouldn't wanna make enemies. 

My room size is 14 feet long by 9 feet wide and my screen is setup on the far right wall that is about 7 feet long in front of my bed, so you could say that the watching area is 7x9'. 

So considering the room size and how thin the walls are, would you recommend a 3.1 setup or the Klipsch Reference Theater Pack 5.1 would be too much? although I gotta say that the 5.1 system is a little too expensive for me but I am willing to consider it if the setup is right for me. 

I am not a audiophile so please excuse me for the lack of knowledge 😁

Any suggestions is appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Hossein

Welcome Hossein. That 5.1 Klipsch Theater Pack would absolutely rock in that small room, but you would need an audio receiver (AVR) to power all those speakers. Another option would be a soundbar with a sub woofer, they have incredible sound also. Even a 3.1 with a woofer would fill the space. Do you have a budget in mind? Would you consider buying used? There are some pretty good deals on complete systems on the used market.

Hi Cepto,

Yeah I am planning to buy a AV receiver since I'm connecting a bunch of other things to the projector I figured it would also act as a HDMI switcher.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of sound bars, I would much rather go with a 3.1 setup. 

Now for the 3.1 setup, would you just recommend a pair of bookshelf speakers like the Reference R14Ms or tower speakers?

In terms of budget, honestly the cheaper the better 😂 but like I said I might even consider the 5.1 system.I would definitely consider buying used as long as its works flawlessly.

Welcome RADH! 

If you provide an overall budget, the fine members here would probably put together the best system with your budget in mind.

With that said, looks like the 5.1 theater pack is $999 so I will start there.

I would start with a higher quality front 3 before I would “compromise” on a 5.1.

Here is what I would start with, If I were in your shoes:

Qty. 2 RP-150M bookshelf speakers ~ $250

Qty 1 RP-150C Center Speaker ~ $250

Qty. 1 R110SW Subwoofer ~ $450

I would normally never recommend a 10” subwoofer but with the size of your room and the fact you share a wall with neighbors, that sub would be plenty.

I would also go with a SVS SB1000 over the klipsch sub I mentioned but I figured I would keep it all Klipsch for simplicity. 

This is fun! What is your receiver budget? 😏

25 minutes ago, K5SS said:

Welcome RADH! 

If you provide an overall budget, the fine members here would probably put together the best system with your budget in mind.

With that said, looks like the 5.1 theater pack is $999 so I will start there.

I would start with a higher quality front 3 before I would “compromise” on a 5.1.

Here is what I would start with, If I were in your shoes:

Qty. 2 RP-150M bookshelf speakers ~ $250

Qty 1 RP-150C Center Speaker ~ $250

Qty. 1 R110SW Subwoofer ~ $450

I would normally never recommend a 10” subwoofer but with the size of your room and the fact you share a wall with neighbors, that sub would be plenty.

I would also go with a SVS SB1000 over the klipsch sub I mentioned but I figured I would keep it all Klipsch for simplicity. 

This is fun! What is your receiver budget? 😏

honestly, at first I thought I would just spend $700-800 for the whole thing so the idea of buying two bookshelf speakers and a sub sounds great and the beauty of that is that I could always buy and add more speakers to the system once I have the money for it. 

Do you think the R-10SW 10" 300w is too small? I would also like to keep everything Klipsch! :D  also could I live without a center for now? 

For the receiver, I was thinking $300? I see a lot of refurbished products with great discounts so I figured I have a chance of getting something decent? what do you think of refurbished? 

Thanks!

I have purchased 3 refurbished receivers from accessories4less and never had a single problem with any of them. 

I was going to recommend going refurbished anyway.  These modern receivers are like computers at this point and if you try to keep up with the newest and best technology, buying them anywhere near MSRP would cause you to broke or insane, whichever came first:)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, K5SS said:

I have purchased 3 refurbished receivers from accessories4less and never had a single problem with any of them. 

I was going to recommend going refurbished anyway.  These modern receivers are like computers at this point and if you try to keep up with the newest and best technology, buying them anywhere near MSRP would cause you to broke or insane, whichever came first:)

Great, that settles it then. any recommendation for the receiver? Onkyo? Denon? any particular feature I should look for? thanks

Brand of receivers is a hot topic around here. People seem to have brand loyalty, yes, that includes me. Most people recommend the brand they use.

Here are the brands of receivers I have owned, within the past 6 or 7 years:

Denon, Yamaha Aventage, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo and Marantz. Out of those brands, you really can’t go wrong.

This one appears to be a solid buy and supports 4K, which I don’t even know is a requirement:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr757/onkyo-tx-nr757-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

*Disclaimer* You could ask this question 10 times and probably get 9 different answers. I also wouldn’t go too far down the rabbit hole as you can easily end up spending triple the budget chasing after features you will never even use. Ask me how I know..

• Like 2

I bought a refurbed and it has been great.

I really like the sound from a Denon and it has so many options

you can really customize your sound for your room.

I guess brand preference is for each person's taste.

Take a look at this one--similar to mine.

Next time I need an AVR I will buy another Denon from them.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs920w/denon-avr-s920w-7.2-ch-x-90-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your replies.

For the receivers, I have found these two: https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product/denon-avr-x1400h-b-stock/ 

and : https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product/marantz-nr1608-b-stock/

They both offer same features but the Marantz has a Stereo RMS Power (watts) of 50 vs the 80 on the Denon. 

Out of the two I like the Marantz more because of how sleek it looks, it would go well with my setup. However I am concerned about the power on the Marantz. 

I may be overlooking this but while I know Klipsch  speakers are some of the most efficient out there, am I going to run into issues powering  a floorstanding speaker with Marantz laters on if I decided to add more to the setup? 

Let me know your thoughts. 

Thank you!

Very comparable units feature wise. You will be fine either way unless you plan on listening at crazy loud volumes. As this is a smaller room I’m going to assume this will not be the case. I lean towards the Marantz just because I am familiar with and like Marantz products, but truth be told you could toss a coin on these two.

• Like 1