Blacked Out Serial Numbers?

Peter P.

On an unrelated forum I participate in, I recently read this, regarding a pair of Heresy III's the poster auditioned.

"These (the Heresy III's) were in good shape but the serial numbers were inked over. I have seen a couple of other Klipsch speakers where this was done. At first I thought they might be stolen but then I guessed it might be due to some Klipsch retailers selling for less than Klipsch minimum prices. Any thoughts?"

Can anyone answer this?

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

On an unrelated forum I participate in, I recently read this, regarding a pair of Heresy III's the poster auditioned.

"These (the Heresy III's) were in good shape but the serial numbers were inked over. I have seen a couple of other Klipsch speakers where this was done. At first I thought they might be stolen but then I guessed it might be due to some Klipsch retailers selling for less than Klipsch minimum prices. Any thoughts?"

Can anyone answer this?

Dealer inking them over doesn't smell right.  An unauthorized dealer may have sold them and didn't want buyer to be able to register them.  

They may have been sold to a KGI employee because of imperfect veneer and so they were inked at factory.

I have seen some labels that some kids got to, but usually way more than just S/N.

Maybe a husband trying to prevent a wife from selling them?

Or, they were . . . stolen.

You should probably read this Klipsch webpage:

http://www.klipsch.ca/unauthorized

"BEWARE OF SERIAL NUMBER ALTERATIONS."

"Many times, these products have serial numbers that have been changed or even removed all together by the unauthorized reseller. Any product represented to be built by Klipsch that does not have a serial number issued by Klipsch should be held suspect by the customer. Removal or alteration of the original Klipsch serial number will automatically void the warranty on that product. Unauthorized dealers either knowingly deceive the consumer by telling them the product is covered by the manufacturer's warranty, or they attempt to make repairs themselves. Repairs made by an unauthorized dealer may not meet Klipsch standards due to the use of inappropriate parts or repair by untrained personnel.

Some unauthorized resellers remove serial numbers and product registration cards or replace our mailing address with their own to avoid detection. For that reason, if your new Klipsch product has no serial number or an obviously altered serial number label, or if there are not matching serial numbers both on the product and on a bar code label on the Klipsch box it was received in, immediately contact whoever you purchased that product from for resolution.

Also, if there is no registration card, or if the mailing address on the card is not either P.O. Box 688, Hope, AR 71802 or 3502 Woodview Trace, Suite 200, Indianapolis, IN 46268 or you are directed to not send in a registration card to Klipsch, you should immediately contact whoever you purchased that product from for resolution. The best resolution would be shipment back to that seller for a full refund. Many web sites change names and locations frequently so they cannot be reached to solve customer problems. Other sites simply go out of business."

"

• Like 1

It looks like a case of a diverted sale of Klipsch speakers.  A third party seller who knows they are not authorized and also know the warranty will be void.

I bought my RSX-4s 11 years ago from one of these online companies(now defunct) but did not realize it until about a month later when I went to register the speakers for warranty purposes.  The serial numbers on the boxes were blacked over with some type of tape.  Luckily for me they have performed perfectly and I never needed that warranty.

Buyer, proceed with caution.

Bill

• Like 1