Klipsch R-115SW

WAELDIAB

Hi,

I just bought Klipsch R-115SW and i do have a Denon receiver AVR-X6300H, i need to know what i have to setup the Level, “LOWPASS” Control,“PHASE” 0/180, can someone please advice what is the best setup for both the receiver and subwoofer i have total 7 speakers 2 front klipsch rp-280f and 2 Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA and center Klipsch RP-450C and 2 Klipsch RP-250S Surround.

i will be using Denon Audyssey Sound Calibration Microphone for the setup.

Edited by WAELDIAB

Hi, welcome to the forums.  You have put together an excellent setup with a highly regarded AVR.  It should take no time at all to get all those pieces playing nice together using Audyssey.

The phase is used when you have a couple of subs in different places.  Since you have a single sub, set the phase to 0.

Set your lowpass filter as far to the right as possible, so use LFE.  Then Audyssey will determine what LF signal is sent to the sub.

Set the gain to about half.  When you run Audyssey it will measure and determine if your sub's gain is playing at 75 db for measuring purposes.  If the sub is too soft or too loud Audyssey will tell you and you can change the sub gain until Audyssey is happy. 

After everything is configured many feel like the sub is too low.  Since there is a difference between actual bass SPL and perceived bass it is common to adjust the sub gain UP to fit your taste.  I usually like the sub where Audyssey sets it, but I am in the minority on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

The phase is used when you have a couple of subs in different places. 

Or if your subwoofer is on a different wall than your mains.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I usually like the sub where Audyssey sets it, but I am in the minority on that.

Yes you are.  Most set it about 6dB higher but if it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Yes you are.  Most set it about 6dB higher but if it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

Good clarifications ^^^.

Do you recommend raising the DB physically  with the gain knob on the sub, or let the AVR control it?

33 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Good clarifications ^^^.

Do you recommend raising the DB physically  with the gain knob on the sub, or let the AVR control it?

Either would work but I normally do it at the sub amp.  To me it's easier to turn a knob than go through several screens.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Hi, welcome to the forums.  You have put together an excellent setup with a highly regarded AVR.  It should take no time at all to get all those pieces playing nice together using Audyssey.

The phase is used when you have a couple of subs in different places.  Since you have a single sub, set the phase to 0.

Set your lowpass filter as far to the right as possible, so use LFE.  Then Audyssey will determine what LF signal is sent to the sub.

Set the gain to about half.  When you run Audyssey it will measure and determine if your sub's gain is playing at 75 db for measuring purposes.  If the sub is too soft or too loud Audyssey will tell you and you can change the sub gain until Audyssey is happy. 

After everything is configured many feel like the sub is too low.  Since there is a difference between actual bass SPL and perceived bass it is common to adjust the sub gain UP to fit your taste.  I usually like the sub where Audyssey sets it, but I am in the minority on that.

Thanks so much Sir, Will go with your advice.

• Like 1

@WAELDIAB You have an excellent Denon 6300 and your Audyssey will set up your sub, lower versions of Audyssey will not. 

If you want to manually set up a sub you can run Audyssey without the sub.  It asks you if you have a sub, tell it "no" then let Audyssey setup your speakers.  After it's done get back in the Audyssey setup menu and set your speakers to "Small" as opposed to "Large."  This sends the lowest frequencies to the sub allowing the speakers to have more power for dynamics. 

The following Youtube vid to learn how to manually set up the sub.  The PE guy does a great job of explaining what you want from your sub and how to get there. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 3:14 PM, wvu80 said:

@WAELDIAB You have an excellent Denon 6300 and your Audyssey will set up your sub, lower versions of Audyssey will not. 

If you want to manually set up a sub you can run Audyssey without the sub.  It asks you if you have a sub, tell it "no" then let Audyssey setup your speakers.  After it's done get back in the Audyssey setup menu and set your speakers to "Small" as opposed to "Large."  This sends the lowest frequencies to the sub allowing the speakers to have more power for dynamics. 

The following Youtube vid to learn how to manually set up the sub.  The PE guy does a great job of explaining what you want from your sub and how to get there. 

Thanks again, My last question i do have one more Sub JBL STUDIO 250P do you think shall i use it with my new  Klipsch R-115SW ? it will make a different or shall i use only the  Klipsch R-115SW ? if yes can you please help me out with the panel of the JBL as i really don't know what setting do i need to use. and do i need to set the phase in my Klipsch to  0 or 180 ?

Thanks so much 

Capture.JPG

Klipsch Phase:  Set it to 0, almost always.  Certainly set it to 0 if it sits beside your other L/C/R speakers up front.

+++

@WAELDIAB I suggest you do not use the JBL 10" sub.  Your new Klipsch is bigger and better in every way.  Using the smaller and less powerful JBL with the Klipsch would only make the bass more muddy.

+++

For the future:  The JBL might be used with another system, I did that with a similar Paradigm 10" sub.  The one feature on the JBL we have not already talked about is Bass Boost.  Bass boost is needed for a sealed sub, a ported sub does not need the extra power, usually an extra 6 db in the 35 Hz region.  Since your JBL is ported then leave Bass Boost OFF.

Other:  Power on is AUTO (auto on, auto off to save power when not in use), use your RCA cable in the lower input (marked L/LFE).  The sub woofer Gain set to about 50% to 75% and you can increase it if that's not loud enough, turn it down if it's boomy.  Set the crossover to LFE which is its MAX setting.  LFE is the .1 Low Frequency Effects channel in a 5.1 system.

Good luck with your setup and I hope that helps.

58 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Klipsch Phase:  Set it to 0, almost always.  Certainly set it to 0 if it sits beside your other L/C/R speakers up front.

+++

@WAELDIAB I suggest you do not use the JBL 10" sub.  Your new Klipsch is bigger and better in every way.  Using the smaller and less powerful JBL with the Klipsch would only make the bass more muddy.

+++

For the future:  The JBL might be used with another system, I did that with a similar Paradigm 10" sub.  The one feature on the JBL we have not already talked about is Bass Boost.  Bass boost is needed for a sealed sub, a ported sub does not need the extra power, usually an extra 6 db in the 35 Hz region.  Since your JBL is ported then leave Bass Boost OFF.

Other:  Power on is AUTO (auto on, auto off to save power when not in use), use your RCA cable in the lower input (marked L/LFE).  The sub woofer Gain set to about 50% to 75% and you can increase it if that's not loud enough, turn it down if it's boomy.  Set the crossover to LFE which is its MAX setting.  LFE is the .1 Low Frequency Effects channel in a 5.1 system.

Good luck with your setup and I hope that helps.

ok then i will use the Klipsch only as you advice. thanks again

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi wvu80,

sorry i do have one more question. I already setup all my speakers ad i did Audyssey for all speakers including the subwoofer. in my AVR setting i chose the speakers/ Bass subwoofer mode to LFE and the LPF for LFE 120 Hz is that Ok ? and in my speakers config i change the front and center to small but Audyssey did it as a large is that ok if i changed it to small ? and for audio audyssey setting shall i use the dynamic EQ and dynamic volume ? last question 😁 if in case i buy one more subwoofer Klipsch R-115SW do i need to do anything with the “PHASE” ? on both subwoofer ? sorry again for disturbing you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 7:14 PM, wvu80 said:

That's awesome setup and tutorials. Makes me wanna upgrade our system. Wifey should like it. Just have to finish installing the last mods on the Ram such as new rack and torza top truck cover before I talk to her about the sound system upgrade.

@WAELDIAB

I think it's best to:

1) Let Audyssey set up everything, including the sub.  That way it will smooth out the response of the sub.

Then

2) if the screen reports a proposed crossover lower than 80 Hz, set the crossover at 80 Hz.  It's O.K. to leave the LPF for LFE at 120. 

Then

3) Turn the sub up by 3 to 6 or more dB using the control knob on the sub itself.  This is because the AVR trim control for the sub level can easily clip -- some of the line drivers will clip at any setting above -3 dB, others with any setting above -5 dB, if you playback at any main volume setting above -10. 

Take about an hour to read this:  "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here" it will be worth it.

• Like 2