DIY kit-feedback

-js-

23 minutes ago, -js- said:

to any "ready-made, plug & play" products like R-115SW, any SVS products, etc.?  bang per $ lol, frequency comparisons, SPL?

thanks in advance.  -John

You might consult with @Youthman.  He's recently been reviewing subs like crazy and he used two sets of dual Klipsch pro 15's in his theater for years.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM, Emile said:

Before you get a center speaker, I suggest you read the article https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614 

Reading that, seems I need to orient my KV-4 vertically, just like his big brothers, CF-4s. Now I gotta re-design my new rack (that I'm still designing)...

Rick

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to comment on the DIY Dayton stuff.  Ive built 4 of the 3 cubic foot boxes using the HF15 driver.  Two used a plate amp (daytons own that has premilled marks on the MDF for where to install it if you choose) and two using an external crown amp.  All have been used either with La Scala, Belle, and now Forte III and using a Marantz receiver they have all blended flawlessly... better performance for substantially cheaper than commercial stuff if you are willing to sink a few  hours into it

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Kalifornian said:

Ive built 4 of the 3 cubic foot boxes using the HF15 driver.  Two used a plate amp (daytons own that has premilled marks on the MDF for where to install it if you choose) and two using an external crown amp.

I built the Reference 15 3 cuft sealed sub with the HO driver and a Yung plate amp500 watt /bass boost .  It's fantastic with my CF-4's, very musical, lots of tactile response without having to crank it up.  It blends very well.

I recently built a couple of Umax 15's sealed 3 cuft using an Inuke 3000dsp.  I have a two Inukes so I might go with one per sub but right now both sound good with the single Inuke.  I think the Umax 15 sound is more customizable using the DSP. 

I don't yet have the DSP figured out but for my money the Reference 15 is the clear winner right now.

(this is the Umax 15, Inukes are in silver.  Also pictured CF-4, Onk 717 and Emotiva XPA-5.  A DIY 15" is on top of the CF-4)

921994760_CheapThrillonCF-4small.thumb.jpg.8defb546685cf7a984aec0bf24939d08.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/19/2018 at 1:07 PM, wvu80 said:

I built the Reference 15 3 cuft sealed sub with the HO driver and a Yung plate amp500 watt /bass boost .  It's fantastic with my CF-4's, very musical, lots of tactile response without having to crank it up.  It blends very well.

I recently built a couple of Umax 15's sealed 3 cuft using an Inuke 3000dsp.  I have a two Inukes so I might go with one per sub but right now both sound good with the single Inuke.  I think the Umax 15 sound is more customizable using the DSP. 

I don't yet have the DSP figured out but for my money the Reference 15 is the clear winner right now.

(this is the Umax 15, Inukes are in silver.  Also pictured CF-4, Onk 717 and Emotiva XPA-5.  A DIY 15" is on top of the CF-4)

921994760_CheapThrillonCF-4small.thumb.jpg.8defb546685cf7a984aec0bf24939d08.jpg

Hey wvu80!

Great to see your builds.

Those Ultimax 15s can be tuned to easily beat the Reference woofers.

Do you have a measurement mic?  With one (black Friday sales) it is easy to get an incredible response by manipulating the PEQ.

• 1 month later...

I've got two of the UMAX 15's.  I like them a lot except for when I switched from one to two subs.  This is an amp issue not a sub issue.  I'm running the 3000dsp as Dave is but when I switched to two I had to run them at 4 ohm stereo on the amp.  It significantly cut the control, less headroom, than when I was running one bridged.  For me, I need a better amp to run both of them.  It is a fun project though.

Just took these pics the other night.

Right front

20181223_181837.jpg.501d52d9aa55ba8b37ce0490c55a6ab3.jpg

Left front

20181223_181933.jpg.2e995791fb6872d32900bb94e24e959e.jpg

First one I that I built

IMG_20170519_152008_036.thumb.jpg.ad238ccc66a15a60fa8e8318f614a3f8.jpg

I have REW and a UMIK but haven't spent enough time tuning them.  I didn't like the eq settings REW was giving me so I just set a couple of my own filters and have been happy thus far. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 2:36 PM, Cody_Mack said:

In the sealed cabinet? I am looking for most musical first...

Rick

Most often people will use a Low Shelf filter with a sealed sub, or sometimes just boost at say 20 or 25hz depending upon the sub capability.

Sensitivity matters, as reference is usually higher than ultimax, but then xmax also matters and the additional xmax is especially helpful in a sealed sub so that boost down low doesnt push past the drivers capability.

On 11/20/2018 at 2:36 PM, RoboKlipsch said:

Those Ultimax 15s can be tuned to easily beat the Reference woofers.

Do you have a measurement mic?  With one (black Friday sales) it is easy to get an incredible response by manipulating the PEQ.

I just saw your post.  Sorry for the long delay in replying.

No, I don't have a mic.  So you think I should get one, or can I copy someone else's settings?  I know the Umax 15's have better specs than the Reference 15 but the Ref15 is pretty much plug and play with the Yung 500 watt plate amp w/bass boost.

And yes the PEQ is easy as pie to set.  I just don't have a good understanding of what I'm trying to accomplish with the sound.  I've not been happy with any of the settings, I feel like there is more performance to be had.  I've got dual subs in a small room, that can't be good as there is nowhere for the sound to open up.

7 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

can I copy someone else's settings

That wouldn't help.  The biggest issue setting up a sub or subs in a room is the actual interaction of them with the room itself.  Rooms have peaks and nulls.  If you sit in a null (cancellation spot) nothing you do will help.  Bass traps help to a point but measuring YOUR room is the only thing that will get you where you want to be.

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I've got dual subs in a small room, that can't be good as there is nowhere for the sound to open up.

Nothing wrong with dual subs in a small room.  Good bass is more about set up and calibration more so than any of your other speakers.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I just saw your post.  Sorry for the long delay in replying.

No, I don't have a mic.  So you think I should get one, or can I copy someone else's settings?  I know the Umax 15's have better specs than the Reference 15 but the Ref15 is pretty much plug and play with the Yung 500 watt plate amp w/bass boost.

And yes the PEQ is easy as pie to set.  I just don't have a good understanding of what I'm trying to accomplish with the sound.  I've not been happy with any of the settings, I feel like there is more performance to be had.  I've got dual subs in a small room, that can't be good as there is nowhere for the sound to open up.

Here's the rub --

An auto correction system like audyssey or ypao help almost any response be flatter BUT

They dont do a good job of integrating multiple subs...they do a good job of improving the frequency response curve of what they are given.  Even when you have 2 sub inputs it still doesnt get it right in many cases.

When you buy a microphone... and Yes you spend enough time on the forums to warrant one...it will open your eyes and ears to a much better ecperience.

When someone says I cant move the subs they have to be here and here it invariably is a case where the person does not measure.  Because if they did, they would move the couch a foot, the table over a bit, try stuffing it over there by that end table....etc.  because now you want a truly flat response at least to REALLY understand what it sounds like...then tweak it to your tastes.

Finding the best sub positions for many of us is a Quest, with a capital Q because it truly goes on for a long time.  Dialing them in mixes science and a bit of guessing/art and is very fun...but all of it requires a microphone.

Then it dawns on you that you spent XXX hours on subs...and hey the microphone can measure the mains too, and are they in the best spots,,,,,,🙉

• Like 2