Class D amplifiers are cool

Khornukopia

Question:  Has anyone used a Class D Audio, SDS amp (models like SDS-120)?  There is an amp here in Calgary for a good price using these class D amps ... 3 channel which might be interesting.  Likely not quite as good as Hypex, but the cost and specs on their web site seem interesting.

3 hours ago, MC39693 said:

Question:  Has anyone used a Class D Audio, SDS amp (models like SDS-120)?  There is an amp here in Calgary for a good price using these class D amps ... 3 channel which might be interesting.  Likely not quite as good as Hypex, but the cost and specs on their web site seem interesting.

I actually have three of these.  One for my RF-83's and two for my LXmini's.

I think they are great sounding amps, and the variable gain feature comes in handy.  Just make sure the power supply is adequate for your needs. 

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the note.  The seller did not note if it is the standard or upgraded power supply.  I'd only be using 2 channels and keep the 3rd installed but as a warm backup.  Will see what happens, the good being the amp is already here in Calgary which removes foreign exchange, duty and freight from the costs.

• Like 1

My TPA3118 Class D amp uses the “Wiener” board purchased in one of several group buys on the diyaudio forum.  It’s designer/builder, gmarsh, offered a thermal pad, but told me I wouldn’t need it.  I figured it couldn’t hurt.  The pad is between the bottom of the board and the case, making the whole case a heatsink.  The case is never even warm to the touch.

5a24abad88220_20171203_201057(Medium).thumb.jpg.403f8aefcff2ab94b433be8e7496b33d.jpg

CED2C3D4-EB7F-4B73-A957-646EACEB4FA6.jpeg.f97191ab1b42322869afde11d881f8e9.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2019 at 2:19 AM, MC39693 said:

Comparing costs on their respective websites (2-channel amps), for about $120 more you can get a Nord Acoustics, Hypex NCore amp shipped. Rated 75 watts per channel at 8 ohms. Yeah, somebody buy these, compare and let us know...please. 😀  https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-mp-nc122-125w-stereo-power-amp-in-silver

Is there anything better than the Crown XLS 1502 in his price range as Class-D?

I'm looking around for a 5-channel Class-D power amp.

Speakers are the RP-280F as fullrange without sub in a HT-setup. Actually got 3 of them in the front, but will once replace my surrounds also with RP-280F's.

So 5x RP-280F in a fullrange config😉

Ofc i know the Hypex Ncores or ICEPower 1200's are really nice, but over my planed budget.

3x the Crown XLS 1502 would be around max. budget, so I'm looking around is there something else in this price range or even cheaper.

CCD73C65-726F-4BE7-9CB8-089B39720CC1.thumb.jpeg.13d54f6e475e1c6d8282b5e168128e7a.jpeg

It requires a bit of DIY and persistence, but the Texas Instruments class D “evaluation” boards are excellent.  The 50% discount is periodically available.  Getting one for less than $100.00 is a bargain.  Dealing with the TI Store requires patience and persistence.  The following links might be of interest.

http://www.ti.com/tool/tpa3255evm?eloquaCampaignId=1073&utm_campaign=asc-amps-hpaa-TPA32xx-aut-evm-evmcoupon-ww&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/309454-ti-class-evm-board-50-promotion.html

The above photo shows my TI TPA3255EVM with a Mean Well power supply.  It can be used in balanced mode or single ended. The sound is excellent.  Dead quiet in balanced mode using a Pono player into efficient Klipsch speakers.

• Thanks 1

Quite a few threads exist at diyaudio.com (search for TPA3255) - the strange thing - though - is that nobody seems to have posted about this input transformer mod (myself included) as there seems to be little interest and even some form of hosility expressed by so-called "experts" (which was different with previous class-d boards). Anyway, I received a p.m. and implemented it a while ago and not only did it not destroy the amp, but make it even more musical. The different coild were just the icing on the cake - making the tone even more "rounded" - sorry for the audio speak - but it is hard to put into words.

I got my boards directly from TI when their promotion scheme was operative (which it seems to be from time to time).

1 hour ago, dubai2000 said:

Quite a few threads exist at diyaudio.com (search for TPA3255) - the strange thing - though - is that nobody seems to have posted about this input transformer mod (myself included) as there seems to be little interest and even some form of hosility expressed by so-called "experts" (which was different with previous class-d boards). Anyway, I received a p.m. and implemented it a while ago and not only did it not destroy the amp, but make it even more musical. The different coild were just the icing on the cake - making the tone even more "rounded" - sorry for the audio speak - but it is hard to put into words.

I got my boards directly from TI when their promotion scheme was operative (which it seems to be from time to time).

Did you ever try to connect the transformer outputs to the audio interface board, bypassing the input op amps?  I sold my EVM before trying this out.

Mike

On 4/23/2019 at 2:33 PM, mboxler said:

Did you ever try to connect the transformer outputs to the audio interface board, bypassing the input op amps?  I sold my EVM before trying this out.

Mike

Mike,

that is exactly what I did - I bypassed the input section completely (opamps, caps etc.) - so the signal goes from the transformer diretly into the chip - actually the 10uF input caps need to be removed to get this working - to my ears a very posive mod indeed.

The TPA3255 looks really interesting. Until 100 W @ 8Ohm even better meassurement than the Crown XLS 1502.

What would you prefer for 5 channel use? One big power supply, or one power supply for each board?

3 boards would be enough i think, not sure if it makes sense to use 5 boards in btl mode.

Fun ofc, but maybe a bit too much😅

I'm a huge fan of the TI based Class D's. I have both types of chips in my amps, but the real REFERENCE for me is the Hypex Nc400 monoblock kit. I use the TI's on surround channels and the Hypex on R and L channels for 2.2. No mods of any kind required.