Class D amplifiers are cool

Khornukopia

The Ncore is actually ofc one of the best meassuring Class-D amp's on the market. If not the best.

Unfortunately I couldn't hear one yet. The only thing some peeps are mentioning is, that they sound a bit "boring".

But like I said, never heard one, so can't rate this...

On 4/26/2019 at 1:24 PM, stoka said:

The Ncore is actually ofc one of the best meassuring Class-D amp's on the market. If not the best.

Unfortunately I couldn't hear one yet. The only thing some peeps are mentioning is, that they sound a bit "boring".

But like I said, never heard one, so can't rate this...

I received a pair of Hypex Nc400 monoblock kits last week.  Built one up easily except a wire on the input cable harness detached so I used the harness from the other kit and it worked.  I'll re-solder the first input cable and build up the other kit then try them doing different jobs in my systems (bass, treble, full range) and report after a while.  Initial impression is that they're very well made.

On 5/4/2019 at 12:42 PM, dubai2000 said:

Looking forward to your full range impressions. May I ask what you will be comparing them too?

Got 2nd monoblock built up and playing.  I'll be comparing them to Trends TA 10.2 class T, VTL Tiny Triode PP tube monoblocks and First Watt SIT2.

On 4/23/2019 at 3:31 AM, dubai2000 said:

Quite a few threads exist at diyaudio.com (search for TPA3255) - the strange thing - though - is that nobody seems to have posted about this input transformer mod (myself included) as there seems to be little interest and even some form of hosility expressed by so-called "experts" (which was different with previous class-d boards). Anyway, I received a p.m. and implemented it a while ago and not only did it not destroy the amp, but make it even more musical. The different coild were just the icing on the cake - making the tone even more "rounded" - sorry for the audio speak - but it is hard to put into words.

I got my boards directly from TI when their promotion scheme was operative (which it seems to be from time to time).

I'm searching and digging but man its deep. You got any more info on the transformer input mod? Like a link to something of actual value?

Thanks in advance.

The transformer I use are Lundahl LL1540 - all you need to do is - the following decription I got from a fellow diyaudio member:

If you want to bypass these blocking capacitors (as I will be doing), you must solder your own wires to the appropriate points on the underside of the board:
LEFT + input - the negative side of C17
LEFT - input - the negative side of C28
RIGHT + input - the negative side of C55
RIGHT - input - the negative side of C63

To make this work the caps mentioned above need to be removed though. Hope that helps.

59 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Do any of these class d amps have DSP built in for strictly subwoofer applications?  I want something that doesn't break the bank but will provide DSP for testing purposes on various subs and bass bins.  

I thought that the Crown/QSC/Behringer amps could all be had with DSP.

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I thought that the Crown/QSC/Behringer amps could all be had with DSP.

I had an iNuke and just didn't like the gui on the DSP, so I gave it away and never had anything else.  I just like simple when it comes to a sub amp knowing that I'll be switching it out on different units.  I also, don't want to spend more than $400-$500 to try and accomplish this, but this isn't strictly for horn subs so my simple SA230 that I use on the F20 doesn't have the as$ needed for driving say dual or quad 15's.  When I looked at the QSC's they were not cheap. 

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

Do any of these class d amps have DSP built in for strictly subwoofer applications?  I want something that doesn't break the bank but will provide DSP for testing purposes on various subs and bass bins.  

All of the Crown models have DSP, adjustable HP and LP filters, and some sort of bandpass option. And the ability to be stereo or mono (bridged).  Google Crown amp and pick a model and go searching for the lowest price. I was searching a couple days ago.

23 minutes ago, Pete H said:

I had an iNuke and just didn't like the gui on the DSP, so I gave it away and never had anything else.  I just like simple when it comes to a sub amp knowing that I'll be switching it out on different units.  I also, don't want to spend more than $400-$500 to try and accomplish this, but this isn't strictly for horn subs so my simple SA230 that I use on the F20 doesn't have the as$ needed for driving say dual or quad 15's.  When I looked at the QSC's they were not cheap. 

An amp that'll drive four 15's with built in DSP isn't necessarily be cheap. 

21 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

An amp that'll drive four 15's with built in DSP isn't necessarily be cheap. 

You need to start with a target budget before it gets blown all to hell with reality.  

24 minutes ago, polizzio said:

All of the Crown models have DSP, adjustable HP and LP filters, and some sort of bandpass option. And the ability to be stereo or mono (bridged).  Google Crown amp and pick a model and go searching for the lowest price. I was searching a couple days ago.

Do you have any experience with the Crowns?  I don't, but have loved the 2 QSC's I have.  I might look at a seperate mini DSP as well, I have other amps, but I'm sure they aren't cheap either.

12 minutes ago, Pete H said:

You need to start with a target budget before it gets blown all to hell with reality.  

Do you have any experience with the Crowns?  I don't, but have loved the 2 QSC's I have.  I might look at a seperate mini DSP as well, I have other amps, but I'm sure they aren't cheap either.

I haven't used any of the amps that have built in dsp.  I think that if I had a need to I'd buy a conventional amp and one of the newer HD mini-dsps. 

5 hours ago, dubai2000 said:

The transformer I use are Lundahl LL1540 - all you need to do is - the following decription I got from a fellow diyaudio member:

If you want to bypass these blocking capacitors (as I will be doing), you must solder your own wires to the appropriate points on the underside of the board:
LEFT + input - the negative side of C17
LEFT - input - the negative side of C28
RIGHT + input - the negative side of C55
RIGHT - input - the negative side of C63

To make this work the caps mentioned above need to be removed though. Hope that helps.

Thanks.

59 minutes ago, Pete H said:

No I have never owned one, but all the reviews I read recently are positive. A member here sold one in the classifieds in the last 7 days. Crown amps sound hard to beat for the price of admission. 4 ohm stable too. People pay 2, 3, or 4 times what Crown wants for brands like Emotiva, Anthem, Marantz, or Yamaha. Crown originated in the music/PA industry. Not saying they are the best but seem like a really good deal. Crutchfield sells em too, read the reviews. But you can find a better price than Crutchfield on the net. Although Crutchfield support and CS is benchmark. I picked a popular model, link below:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_859XLS1502/Crown-XLS-1502.html?search=crown_amplifier

I read an interesting fact on wiki while reading about amplifier designs. Class D amps are not "digital". Some people on the internet have referred to them as digital amps.  D was just the next letter to be used for an amp classification/design.

Class A, B, A/B, D, E, F, G, H

wiki article on amp classifications, strengths-weaknesses, for those who like to research/read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_amplifier_classes

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

The “D” does not stand for “digital,” but class D amps are digital.

I would suggest you read the reference article at the link I provided above.

"The letter D used to designate this amplifier class is simply the next letter after C and, although occasionally used as such, does not stand for digital. Class-D and class-E amplifiers are sometimes mistakenly described as "digital" because the output waveform superficially resembles a pulse-train of digital symbols, but a class-D amplifier merely converts an input waveform into a continuously pulse-width modulated analog signal. (A digital waveform would be pulse-code modulated.)"

• Thanks 1

This a is another article about class D amplifiers. The article makes reference to "analog" class D amplifiers. While there are true digital class D amps (pulse code modulated), not all class D are indeed "digital amplifiers". Same explanation as quoted above from the wiki article.

https://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/articles/class-d-audio-amplifiers.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1