Class D amplifiers are cool

Khornukopia

On 5/10/2019 at 7:08 PM, DizRotus said:

The “D” does not stand for “digital,” but class D amps are digital.

I should have said, “ . . . but class D amps can be digital.”  All of mine are.  The thread seems to be about class D digital chip amps.  It is, after all, posted in the Solid State forum.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:52 AM, Delicious2 said:

I received a pair of Hypex Nc400 monoblock kits last week.  Built one up easily except a wire on the input cable harness detached so I used the harness from the other kit and it worked.  I'll re-solder the first input cable and build up the other kit then try them doing different jobs in my systems (bass, treble, full range) and report after a while.  Initial impression is that they're very well made.

So, am I the only one who thinks the Hypex kits are the Cat's Meow in amplification? Or what??

8 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So, am I the only one who thinks the Hypex kits are the Cat's Meow in amplification? Or what??

I just think that there are a lot of others like me that have not had a chance to hear them and that's puts you on the top of the heap with the blow horn, so we're all coming to visit you.B)

• Like 1

Just now, Pete H said:

I just think that there are a lot of others like me that have not had a chance to hear them and that's puts you on the top of the heap with the blow horn, so we're all coming to visit you.B)

Not all at once, I hope. My house is only 690 square feet. LOL.

Just now, ClaudeJ1 said:

Not all at once, I hope. My house is only 690 square feet. LOL.

Is that before or after you adjust for the sq' that your gear and speakers take up?

I'll bet when @rockhound Jerry reads this he'll order a few just so he can try them.  (not that he has a problem), just sayin. 

Just now, Pete H said:

Is that before or after you adjust for the sq' that your gear and speakers take up?

I'll bet when @rockhound Jerry reads this he'll order a few just so he can try them.  (not that he has a problem), just sayin. 

It's never a "problem" only a SOLUTION.............always.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

It's never a "problem" only a SOLUTION.............always.

As to your Square Footage question, let's just say I have a very efficient Layout that makes all else secondary in a 11.5 x 16.5 sound room/living room with 8 ft. ceiling and not enough AC outlets. LOL.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:29 PM, polizzio said:

This a is another article about class D amplifiers. The article makes reference to "analog" class D amplifiers. While there are true digital class D amps (pulse code modulated), not all class D are indeed "digital amplifiers". Same explanation as quoted above from the wiki article.

https://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/articles/class-d-audio-amplifiers.html

Good article. Here is a quote from about half way into the article.   "All Class D modulation techniques encode information about the audio signal into a stream of pulses."   So it may not be digital in the digital data realm, but it is definitely not analog like a vinyl album and Class A or A/B amps are. The article also has a paragraph titled, "Analog Devices Class D Amplifiers", but I get the impression that is a company name.

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I should have said, “ . . . but class D amps can be digital.”  All of mine are.  The thread seems to be about class D digital chip amps.

The thread is about Class D amplifiers. You're the one insisting it's about "class D digital chip amps".

So which "digital amps" do you own and use? Model and manufacturer?

1 hour ago, Khornukopia said:

Good article. Here is a quote from about half way into the article.   "All Class D modulation techniques encode information about the audio signal into a stream of pulses."   So it may not be digital in the digital data realm, but it is definitely not analog like a vinyl album and Class A or A/B amps are. The article also has a paragraph titled, "Analog Devices Class D Amplifiers", but I get the impression that is a company name.

From the previously referenced wiki article: 

"The term "class D" is sometimes misunderstood as meaning a "digital" amplifier. While some class-D amps may indeed be controlled by digital circuits or include digital signal processing devices, the power stage deals with voltage and current as a function of non-quantized time. The smallest amount of noise, timing uncertainty, voltage ripple or any other non-ideality immediately results in an irreversible change of the output signal. The same errors in a digital system will only lead to incorrect results when they become so large that a signal representing a digit is distorted beyond recognition."

On 5/10/2019 at 4:34 PM, Pete H said:

Do you have any experience with the Crowns?  I don't, but have loved the 2 QSC's I have.  I might look at a seperate mini DSP as well, I have other amps, but I'm sure they aren't cheap either.

Today I purchased a slightly used "mint" Crown XLS 1002 for $251 delivered on ebay, so in 5-10 days I will have some hands on experience. I have yet to read a bad review for the latest Crown amps anywhere, multiple websites.

1100 watts bridged into a 4 ohm load. Going to build me a low cost 18" transducer sealed cab subwoofer and power it with the Crown. I like projects. 

edit: just read the manual. band pass feature allows you to select an upper and lower filter point, to pass a specific frequency range like 30-200 hertz. Or just a single low or high pass filter. (24 db linkwitz-riley)

4 hours ago, Kalifornian said:

Been using my crown xls2502 for almost a year pushing my Dayton Audio HF15 DIY subwoofers. Works great, no noise, min heat, and can rattle my entire house....

I bet!

2502 king daddy. Max 2400 watts bridged, 4 ohm load.

On 5/12/2019 at 9:35 AM, DizRotus said:

I should have said, “ . . . but class D amps can be digital.”  All of mine are. 

22 hours ago, polizzio said:

The thread is about Class D amplifiers. You're the one insisting it's about "class D digital chip amps".

So which "digital amps" do you own and use? Model and manufacturer?

Guess you're not going to tell us the details about "all of your digital amps". Come on man, I need a good laugh today.