Class D amplifiers are cool

Khornukopia

50-100 watts, under $2000... preferably closer to $1200-$1500.

must have outstanding dampening factor.

I think I could put together two 2-channel bel cantos or wyred4sound class D units for very reasonable prices... I just haven't done it yet. also I had looked at the NAD m27 7 channel, but they are now discontinued and pricing seem firm at around $2400-$2500

Maybe sensitivity ratings are important to you also?

When I say this I immediately thought Classe CA-5100. AB though. Does Ice Tunnel count as cool too? When I searched, I couldn't locate a currently active sale for one available. You could try WTB. Expect to pay $1800 or higher. 

I wish I had a pair of CA-5200's myself. Maybe in 10 years I can get them. In the meanwhile, I will soon be looking for a trash pile 2 channel for rear atmos speakers. Requirements: price of dirt and must have 12v trigger.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 1:42 PM, flatgrass said:

This is mainly for Rich @rhing,

I came across the Aiyima 3255 with a 32 volt power supply on Amazon for $80.  I am really leaning to purchasing it, but wanted to get updated insight as to your satisfaction with your 3251 to date.  

Thanks, Kevin

Been really busy and unable to keep up with all the audio forums. I very much enjoy the Aiyima A04 TI TPA3251 Class D amp. Mine is not stock as I have installed Burson V5is op amps, CoilCraft toroidal inductors, and some short lengths of Duelund DCA16GA Tinned Copper wire. I use this as a power amp connected to my Pass DIY B1 Korg NuTube preamp. The Aiyima drives a pair of KEF LS50’s nicely. 

I am not familiar with the Aiyima TPA3255 amp. Is this the newer A07 amplifier?

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 7:07 PM, Schu said:

50-100 watts, under $2000... preferably closer to $1200-$1500.

must have outstanding dampening factor.

I think I could put together two 2-channel bel cantos or wyred4sound class D units for very reasonable prices... I just haven't done it yet. also I had looked at the NAD m27 7 channel, but they are now discontinued and pricing seem firm at around $2400-$2500

How high for the "damping" factor. The Parasound Halo 52+ >1100 @ 20hz.

It's a class a/ab

Also $2900 or so, but I like their equipment.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 2:46 PM, Schu said:

I still have not hooked it up as yet... this weekend.

I dont have a switch box for A/B amplification so I still manually have to move the leads of the LR Mains from Amp to Amp depending on usage.

51289032355_40ecbc4db8_k.jpg

51288738889_2a5e0c570a_k.jpg

The ATI nCore sound is more laid back than that of my older Bel Canto REF500m's class D's... no where near as speedy and sharp, which is a good thing for my set up.

So far I am not disappointed at all.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This took a lot longer to get going than it should have 🙁

This is an ESP32-WROVER (running Squeezelite-ESP32) connected to a Merus MA12070p (Class D) reference board (on the left).

The MA12070p chip is I2S input only, hence the wires for bit clock, word clock, and data.  Other wires are for I2C connection.

I'm a Squeezebox fan, and with this setup I can stream Tidal, Spotify, Radio Paradise, etc.  Playing through a pair of full range speakers now but really sounds nice!

Mike

IMG_0566.jpg

• Like 1

Cool little setup. I'm not real familiar with I2S. Is the DAC built into the MA12070p? I have a Sabaj A10a amp which uses the MA12070 (analog input) and I feed it with an external DAC. I am curious about how the digital input of the MA12070p works.

22 minutes ago, wetowne said:

Cool little setup. I'm not real familiar with I2S. Is the DAC built into the MA12070p? I have a Sabaj A10a amp which uses the MA12070 (analog input) and I feed it with an external DAC. I am curious about how the digital input of the MA12070p works.

This may help with I2S

https://hackaday.com/2019/04/18/all-you-need-to-know-about-i2s/

Yes, the amp has a built in DAC, otherwise it's pretty much identical to the MA12070.  In fact, all of the analog input pins on the MA12070 are digital input pins on the MA12070p.   Since I can't get analog out of the ESP32 (I2S or SPDIF only), the MA12070p is a great fit.

Here's the MA12070p datasheet.

Infineon-MA12070P-DS-v01_00-EN.pdf

Mike