The Klipsch Audio Community
Khornukopia

Class D amplifiers are cool

=== last night I stumbled on the audio site - “audio science review” where the site founder runs many DAC, Class D and standard AB amps through rigorous testing looking for the good/bad in the designs output. Interesting site, and after reading his background/credentials I find his “opinions” are fact based. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I know you mean this as a compliment, but I have a different take on your comment.   To me, amps shouldn’t sound tube-like or digital, they should sound like the music they are reproducing.  After years of enjoying several excellent tube amps, I’ve switched totally to class-D.

If by accurately reproducing the source material with zero noise, high dynamics, full frequency range, and great separation sounds “digital,” then I’m all for it.

None of my high quality tube amps sounded as good as my balanced class-D chip amps.  Others may disagree, but I don’t consider “digital” as a negative adjective.

YMMV

Hello,

My post was probably too short. I appreciate some digital amps for these qualities, but at the end I miss something related to the tones that don't have enough colors and variety (for my tastes). From this perspective I prefer usually SET amps, but you are right, what you win on tones and low level, you loose it on other parts. It's a choice.

With the Spec, which is also a D class but with an analog implementation, it seems that you have the best of the both worlds: zero noise, dynamic, strong bass, nice low level and a colorful sound (rich tones).

I am just at the beginning with this amp, so it needs to be confirmed when the system will be setup correctly, but what I have today is very promising. I should received a better source these days. Let's see.

Best

Ugo

On 9/25/2019 at 7:04 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

But why overpay … ??

I probably wouldn't, but people like to have different things to choose from, and many folks think the Macs are attractive looking.

3 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

I probably wouldn't, but people like to have different things to choose from, and many folks think the Macs are attractive looking.

Except for the A800 I just got yesterday and put into service right away on subwoofer, (so I can see the power meters), all my class D amps are not visible, even the Ncore amps where I added potentiometers at the front end (see my next post as to why).

Why? because there is absolutely Zero Need to ever LOOK at a power amp that will never approach voltage clipping or current overload on an all horn system. The new 4K Godzilla movie takes my 97-100 db/watt Tapped Horn subs for an extreme workout, and the highest the LED power meters ever read was -6 db. on the new amp.

Subs are where 99% of my power goes as the rest of the system is 100 db/watt efficient (8 channels of Super Heresy's, Unity Summation Aperture Horns, etc.), so in my case, there is no need to ever have power meters there. In fact I use el cheapo TI Chip amps on the surrounds, since the mains take most of the power there, like less than 10 watts, vs. 400 WPC for the subs. As of yesterday, all of my amplifiers are class D. The new A800 has improved my bass resolution beyond what I had before, which was well demonstrated for a room full of Klipsch people brought over by Dizrotus. IOW, this class D upgrade made something impressive even better, by an audible smidge.

But hey, if someone want to ever pay more than the cost of a state of the art Hypex amp for mains just to LOOK at them, then they have more money to waste than even the above average "Klipschead" on this forum, including this one!

On 8/23/2019 at 10:36 AM, avguytx said:

So just how good is this little Class D amp for $28 from ebay?  Anyone mess with these?  Kind of intrigued for the money just to tinker with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Class-D-Power-Amplifier-HiFi-Stereo-2-0-Channel-Digital-Audio-Amp-50W-50W/262315996089

s-l1600.jpg

I had two of those running my Jubilees (106-110 db/watt) with TADs/K402's up to 124 db peaks on drum recordings, THAT's how good they are.

Currently I run 3 of them on 6 surround channels of my all-horn, all Class D Atmos setup. How's THAT for an endorsement!!

They are driven by a Yamaha Pre Pro. The best thing about these is that there's a volume Potentiometer to knock DOWN the relative gain at the front end, forcing the Yamaha to work it's output voltage in the range that would be required by typical "industry standard", non-Klipsch,  86 db/watt speakers, rather than 100 db/watt speakers I have. This increases the Signal to Noise ratio substantially. It's a SYSTEMS approach with horns, guys, let's not forget that.

• Like 1

Interesting, confusing, but interesting.