Help buying new TV, old one died (TV bought!)

wvu80

EDIT:  Too long, didn't read:  You can skip to the end here, this is what I got 11/16/18:

I bought a Vizio PQ65F1 the Friday before black friday on a BF deal from Sams Club.  $600 price drop from the $2100 price yesterday.  They are now out-of-stock everywhere in the country.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/vizio-quantum-65in-4k-televsion-hdr-smart-240hz-hdmi/prod22380728.ip?pid=_CSE_CSSGoogleFix_Connex_5_980127649&source=ifpla&CAWELAID=730010300002049554

++++++++++++

My ten year-old 48" HDTV in the living room just died today, won't power up.  Yay!  I've been wanting a new one and this is the perfect excuse.

My philosophy: 

• I usually like to spend $1000 for a TV and replace more often, but I'm thinking $1500 budget to get to a larger screen or HDR screen.
  • This will have an HD cable TV box so tuner not necssary.  Over the air not an option in rural WV. 
  • I like to buy local so in case anything goes wrong I can easily return it.  Local options are generally Walmart and Sam's Club but I am open to internet vendors.
  • I want a great screen but crappy speakers (to save money).  I've got the audio covered.  B)

Things I'm unsure about:

• Big screen vs quality screen - For $1500 the largest screen I can get is 70-75 inches in conventional LCD, Sams Club.  I can find HDR in 65".  Your opinion, quantity vs quality?  I'm leaning towards bigger but I've seen demos of OLED and QLED and they look spectacular.
  • New or Used:  Sams Club has open box TV's for decent discounts all the time.  My instinct is to buy new and get the full warranty.
  • I can use smaller TV's around the house to hold out for a Black Friday deal.  Good idea to wait a few weeks for a deal?

Please make specific recommendations and suggestions, inform me of new technologies, or challenge my philosophies ^^^.  I am open to all ideas.

Here is the current front sound stage 5.1 + Front Heights in the living room where I watch TV 95%, and movies.  MLP is about 11 feet and offset left.  The restrictions are a left side wall and a right side hallway.

Image00004.thumb.jpg.3ea1a9443ca1c461b3dab28d56a99ceb.jpg

20 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

My ten year-old 48" HDTV in the living room just died today, won't power up.  Yay!  I've been wanting a new one and this is the perfect excuse.

Image00004.thumb.jpg.3ea1a9443ca1c461b3dab28d56a99ceb.jpg

I hope this isn't a Trend.

What would yur wife do for a TV ?

9 minutes ago, rebuy said:

What would yur wife do for a TV ?

She's still mad that I bought the last one in 2008.  She didn't see anything wrong with our RCA 19" tube TV.

This is the same wife who says she can't hear any difference between an AM radio and the speaker setup you see in the picture of our living room ^^^.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Get a decent smart tv so that you can stream youtube, amazon, netflix, etc.  You will quit cable once you start using these services. 

Can't you stream through yur Blu-Ray?

Why do you need a smart TV?

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

She was mad that I bought the last one in 2008.  She didn't see anything wrong with our 19" RCA tube TV.

This is the same wife who says she can't hear any difference between an AM radio and the speaker setup you see in the picture of our living room ^^^.  :rolleyes:

10 Years is pretty good for today's TV

The next TV I buy will most likely be another Sony XBR 4K with HDR. I bought a 49" XBR android for a bedroom a year ago and from 8 feet away it's too big. My neck gets tired moving my head back and forth following all those pass completions when Alabama plays. I have a 65" Vizio (non-HDR) in my living room and its no slouch. Prior to the Vizio 5 years ago I've owned Sony TV's only since 1991. The Vizio I have now was probably a better picture than the Sony's of that time. But the current Sony HDR have a terribly good vivid and colorful picture. I would not recommend any TV without HDR after seeing the difference. In fact I've been thinking about buying a 43" Sony XBR 4K HDR for the bedroom like the 49" and moving the 49" to another bedroom that has a longer viewing distance.

Go look at them. The local BB has a 65" Sony XBR65X850F for $1399, comparable smaller screen sizes for less. If you don't care for the features the XBR models have the regular line of 4K HDR's are even less. Get a HDR TV. And good luck.

Keith

Edited by T2K
replaced UHD w/HDR. All those dang letters...

3 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Get a decent smart tv so that you can stream youtube, amazon, netflix, etc.  You will quit cable once you start using these services. 

I do have 200 mbs service but rural WV is not the big market internet that companies are looking for.  I need to get Fox News, a couple of ESPN's and NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox for the sports broadcasts.  Past that I don't really care, but I would love to cut the cable!  OTA I get four stations, three of them are PBS.

I've tried a couple of internet carriers like SlingTV but they are MUCH more limited than their advertising would lead you to believe.  YoutubeTV looks like what I want but we can't get Youtube TV just yet, it's just for the big cities so far.

13 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Apparently you're not married.

Keith

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I do have 200 mbs service but rural WV is not the big market internet that companies are looking for.  I need to get Fox News, a couple of ESPN's and NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox for the sports broadcasts.  Past that I don't really care, but I would love to cut the cable!  OTA I get four stations, three of them are PBS.

I've tried a couple of internet carriers like SlingTV but they are MUCH more limited than their advertising would lead you to believe.  YoutubeTV looks like what I want but we can't get Youtube TV just yet, it's just for the big cities so far.

The trouble with your Local Stations and this includes PBS,

They do not broadcast in HD.

5 minutes ago, rebuy said:

My cable channels are 1080--720--and a few in 480.

What's the point in buying a UHD ?

You're right, the most companies broadcast in is 1080p.  I need to have 4K so I'm not instantly obsolete when 4K broadcasting starts.

I thought UHD was the new super sharp picture format.  Do I have that wrong?  I know I have some research and catching up to do on TV tech.

+++

My Sony BD player does get 1080p internet but it is slow and obsolete.

+++

What do you guys think of this list?  Comments?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-price/under-1500

12 minutes ago, T2K said:

The local BB has a 65" Sony XBR65X850F for $1399, comparable smaller screen sizes for less. If you don't care for the features the XBR models have the regular line of 4K UHD's are even less. Get a UHD TV. And good luck.

That's the kind of advice I'm looking for.  I really want a 75" screen but those 65's with the really sharp vivid picture have me re-thinking my priorities.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

That's the kind of advice I'm looking for.  I really want a 75" screen but those 65's with the really sharp vivid picture have me re-thinking my priorities.

You get a fancy TV and I bet you order MORE cable channels.

12 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You should re-read my post. I edited out the UHD and replaced it with HDR. All those letters get confusing. The HDR is much brighter with more vivid colors. Adds a lot to movies and regular TV too. I would not buy a TV without it. The 4K may be more resolution than is broadcast but overall the purchase is worth it to me.

That XBR55X900F in your link is priced $1199 here locally.

Good luck.

• Like 1