Help buying new TV, old one died (TV bought!)

wvu80

According to https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-type/oled only Sony and LG sell OLED in the US. 

I found an LG 65 OLED for $1450.  Are there any comments on it? Is the LG OLD superior to the Samsung QLED at the same price point?

https://www.hdvisionmax.com/LG-65-Smart-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-TV-p/oled65c7p.htm

+++

EDIT:  The same TV is $1000 more through Amazon.  Something doesn't seem right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAYM1TP?tag=rtings-tv-bs10b-20&ie=UTF8

LG sells it direct for $2500.  The first place looks fishy.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED65C7P-oled-4k-tv

2nd EDIT:  The first place has a restocking fee of 20% plus I pay shipping no matter what even if the TV doesn't work or is damaged.  That would work out to a $300 restock fee plus shipping on that TV. 

THAT'S A DEAL BREAKER.  I'm no longer looking to buy from that vendor no matter what the price.

In the beginning of the year, what buyers were doing is buying the oled at the best price they could find, then submitting a price matching request to their credit cards based on an EXTREMELY low advertised price online... I did this myself and saved over 1000 bucks. I think the CC companies got wise to it for thw most part

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Schu said:

then submitting a price matching request to their credit cards based on an EXTREMELY low advertised price online... I did this myself and saved over 1000 bucks.

I never heard of that so I just looked it up.  If I had ordered the TV yesterday I could have saved $500.  Discover card eliminated that program which ended Oct 31, 2018.  Other credit cards are dropping that benefit also, as you said.

+++

I'm looking at the Vizio E series 75", $1380.  It got a great review from rtings.com for its screen, poor audio, which is what I'm looking for.

I'm still unsure about high quality smaller screen vs large screen with average quality.

The Vizio hierarchy is

P Quantum

P Series

M Series

E Series

D Series

I have had a Vizio LED TV for 4 years and it has been flawless.

Since you haven't mentioned Costco I assume they may not be in your area.

Costco extends the manufacture warranty for 1 year for no extra cost, I am not sure if Sams club does as well as I am not a member.

Costco also uses Four Square for an extended warranty at a significantly less cost than the brick and mortar stores.

There are also guidelines for screen size based on the distance you are seated from the screen.

No matter which model you end up purchasing go to avsforum for suggestions on calibration settings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davis said:

Since you haven't mentioned Costco I assume they may not be in your area.

Correct, no Costco, no BB.  Sams Club for the good stuff and Walmart for the low end.  Sams Club always tries to sell you an extended warranty so no free lunch there.

We also have a Sears that is shutting down but when I was in there a month ago they were offering "up to" 40% discounts on ridiculously high priced "select" items and I haven't been back since.

+++

I've been on AVSforums briefly but I'm not sure which is their TV sub-forum.  I can figure out their audio forums but the TV forums are confusing to me.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-high-dynamic-range-hdr-wide-color-gamut-wcg/3019220-what-s-your-take-hdr-so-far.html#post57044006

+++

I have an older Vizio TV, probably a 26" which doubled as a computer monitor.  It has always been buggy with the menu randomly popping up, then going back down, a characteristic of that breed.  It also didn't offer a Favorites list so when changing channels it's UP/Down or key in every channel individually.

The older 75" Vizios are getting crushed for their reliability, "lasts two years then goes dark, Vizio tells me it's out of warranty and I'm on my own."  I guess you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davis said:

The Vizio hierarchy is

P Quantum

P Series

M Series

E Series

D Series

Costco has a Black Friday deal going for the P Quantum 65 for $1400 but you have to wait until Nov 16 to get it.  Does that now make it the best deal under $1500?

https://www.costco.com/Vizio-65"-Class-(64.5"-Diag.)-4K-HDR-LED-LCD-TV.product.100424390.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/197-lcd-flat-panel-great-found-deals/3020150-vizio-quantum-dot-pq65-1399-a.html#post57044450

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-quantum

+++

Rtings.com has the Vizio P Quantum 65"rated at 8.6 general use, $1400.

Rtings.com has the Samsung QLED 65" that I like and saw live at Sams Club, rated at 8.0 general use, $1300.

Qled will look slightly different than a normal led... but you would have to be looking at them side by side to notice any difference.

Screen size is determined by viewing distance... my 65" OLED is fantastic at 7-9 feet. The reality is, I don't sit 7-9 feet... I sit more like 13-14 feet away, meaning my choice of a 65"OLED is WAY undersized. I can't really afford a 80"+ oled so I made my compromise.

In your situation, I have to say that size is WAY better than outright dynamic range performance... buy size over quality.

Also, give Cleveland plasma a chance to price match anything you are seeing.  call them direct,  they have a great reputation.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Schu said:

Qled will look slightly different than a normal led... but you would have to be looking at them side by side to notice any difference.

I was back at Sams Club tonight with some more critical viewing.  I have a better idea what I want to look for and I can check out a few TV's, not a half dozen.

The Samsung QLED 65 is still by far the best picture.  The greens pop, the reds pop, resolution seems greater.  The problem is I KNOW that demo has been optimized and general broadcast TV will not look that good.  They have it on the shelf next to the other 65" TV's and not anywhere near the 70 and 75" TVs.

The 70/75's:  The Viz 70 looks significantly smaller than the 75 side-by-side.  The 70 is $900.  To get the extra 5" it's $1400.

The 75's are Vizio, Samsung, LG.  The Viz really does have a nice screen  but I think the Samsung looks best, the LG is third in that row.  Despite my being able to pick my favorite, ALL three look pretty much the same, all are within a hundred bucks of $1500.

I'd really like to get to 75" with that QLED but that is $2K, 500 over budget.

Give Cleveland a call and see if they can get you 200-300 to within your budget.

If I were giving anyone advice, I would say try for 75" or greater unless your sitting within 10 feet. I've gotten 65" for the last two or three monitors, I won't buy another 65" any longer. I want to get as close to 80"+ from now on and I would personally give away Oled and go with Qled to get there monetarily. 

Now Samsung is releasing an85"  8k Qled... my mouth is watering.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Schu said:

That's  a car payment...

I've already been up six 6a doing more research.  I know a lot more today than I did yesterday.  The advice I've gotten here has helped a lot.

I now know why I liked the Samsung QLED so much, and why it is not higher rated.  What it does best is color saturation which is what I noticed but the TV itself falls short in other areas, including size.  Probably pass.

I'm looking carefully at the Vizio 70" at $1000 vs the Viz 75 inch for $1500.  Are those 5" worth another $500?  My lust for a 75" might be overcome by my lust for $500.

Also as a brand Vizio leaves me a bit cold.  Will it give me ten years like my Panasonic LCD did?  I'm leaning towards the Samsung for reliability.

When I viewed the 75's in a row the Viz, Samsung and LG were effectively the same but I can't find good reviews on all the models, in particular the LG. 

I'm heavily influenced by rtings.com evals, they do a great job of personal opinion backed up by thorough testing.  They are not afraid to say TV A beats TV B.  I like that straight forward approach.

Leader in the clubhouse:  Viz E series 75.  Followed closely by Samsung 75 and LG 75 all near the $1500 mark.

Unknowns:  I'm looking closely at saving 500 bucks by getting a 70", probably a Viz.  I'm also looking carefully at upcoming Black Friday deals to see what drops down into my field of vision.

@wvu80

I enjoy seeing others research and agonize  things as thoroughly as I do. I could not impulse buy even a pack of gum.

The item doesn't have to be the very best, but I always want the best bang for the buck

One thing I noticed is the screen size in scale to the cubic feet of the big box store vs the screen size when it is located in your room at home.

A 65" may look small at Sams but at home it is a pretty large screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Davis said:

A 65" may look small at Sams but at home it is a pretty large screen.

True, excellent point.  I'm coming from a Panasonic 47" so  65 will be a pretty good jump up in size.. 

At the time ten years ago I thought the 50's were too big and I didn't want to pay the extra money for that oversize screen.  Now days you can find a 55" for $250.  Anything that costs over $500 is going to be a significant improvement in size over what I had.

32 minutes ago, T2K said:

How much width do you have between your speakers?

I never even thought of that!

The audio cab is 60'wide.  There is an additional 6" to each side until I reach the speakers.  I probably have another 6" I could move the speakers out.

+++

Upon further reflection, I've decided to equip my home theater with something small, something with a super sharp picture.  Who wants those gigantic blurry screens anyway? 

Quick pics 2019_00001.jpg

Quick pics 2019_00004.jpg