Help buying new TV, old one died (TV bought!)

wvu80

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I never even thought of that!

The audio cab is 60'wide.  There is an additional 6" to each side until I reach the speakers.  I probably have another 6" I could move the speakers out.

+++

Upon further reflection, I've decided to go with something small, something with a super sharp picture.  Who wants those gigantic blurry screens anyway? 

Quick pics 2019_00004.jpg

but the picture you offer there is just ABSOLUTELY AWFUL.  what's wrong with it?  oh wait - I know this... it's the content that is ruining that shot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, -js- said:

but the picture you offer there is just ABSOLUTELY AWFUL.  what's wrong with it?  oh wait - I know this... it's the content that is ruining that shot.

I just knew somebody would complain!  :lol:  This better? 

Oh, I know, you don't like McDonald's drinks.  :rolleyes:

Quick pics 2019_00006.jpg

5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I just knew somebody would complain!  :lol:  This better? 

Oh, I know, you don't like McDonald's drinks.  :rolleyes:

Quick pics 2019_00006.jpg

yes, MUCH better!!!  Thank you!!!

riiiiiigght - McDonald's drinks.  that's it   :emotion-21: 

• Haha 1

we bought our last TV - Samsung  UN55HU7200 55" curved screen 4k UHD about 3-4 yrs ago.  Samsung seemed to have the best picture in a close race I think over Vizio.

fiance was hard to move away from the curved screen feature, but PQ was excellent.  ours has done very well.  not completely problem free but very good.

I've been reading 153 reviews of the Vis PQ 65 on Sams Club.  What a complete bunch of bull crap!

I'm sorry but I simply don't believe that more than half of the reviewers would use the word "vivid."  After you read a bunch they all look formulaic, a lot of one-sentence reviews with 5-stars.  Several of the reviewers said they didn't actually own the TV but they wanted to, and their review was part of a contest!

If the Vis PQ 65 drops form $2K to $1500 I might go for it but I now I don't believe any of the Walmart/Sams Club reviews.

Samsung makes a great picture, especially if you get one with 120 hertz refresh rate. Mine is from 2015, the way it is marketed now is "Motion Rate" which is twice what the hz is.

I took one Vizio back before this tv because the color was over saturated and I couldn't make it look realistic. Could have been that particular unit obviously. 

The only 1080i leds I saw online were from a couple of years ago. Got mine right after the 4k came out and it was reduced a lot.

It seems the 4k models have the 120hz refresh rate advertised often so that is definitely part of how good the pic is on those!!

Fyi... you don't want vivd. That's a modification of reality. I mean if you like your retinas burned to a crisp by high output overly saturated colors, then maybe you'll be happy.

What your looking for in quality is Ability to produce a widest range of colors as accurately as possible. Your also looking for the ability to create deep blacks... so called "inky" blacks.

Technologies produce different results but the families of technologies produce similar results.  led... high lumen output, shortened dynamic range and narrow viewing angles. Oled... lower light output, large dynamic range in comparison to led and wide viewing angles.

If your just looking for loud VIVID color, get the cheapest monitor at a larger size and be happy. Any of these modern monitors will easily blow away an old lcd.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

Asked him what  brand is good and he says definitely don't buy Samsung as they setup their backlight  to high at the factory for great screen resolution which frys the LEds in 3 years unto failure.

I'd have to agree with this, upon setting the colors to a lifelike view we still liked the brightness at 50%.

That is good enough in daylight in the well lit room, and the puck is still very easy to follow in most any rink I watch the games being played at.

If direct sunlight does get on the screen we do have to close the curtains on that window or door.

2 hours ago, Budman said:

get a Sony XBR and call it a day

I just bought an XBR this summer and it has been great. Im not a huge Sony fan, (always bought Samsung) but the picture looked better than the other LED's on display, so I went with it. The menu is a tad slow, but the adjustability is limitless.  Looked at the OLED's and there is no denying they're the leader in picture quality, but I wasn't willing to pay for it.   I also have two old 55" Samsungs that are still kicking.

I picked a 55" 4K TCL for $370 out the door at Best buy for my back porch and I think its was the normal price. Roku is great and its crazy how good the picture is for so little money. Its rock solid streaming and perfect for putting up where its going to get moisture and heat.

4 hours ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

After this 2-1/2 year failure with Vizio it's LG on the next go around...it feels like a "good-luck-can-we-guess-the-right-one"  sort of decision, eh?

Boy, you said that right!  I'll trade PQ for reliability, but how do you know if the 2018 model of ANY company won't be the best ever, or the worst ever?

I see Vizio offers a one-year warranty.  If I go that route I'll likely grab the extended warranty.

I'll check out some LG's but we have very few locally and I haven't seen any Black Friday deals.  I'll have to keep my eyes open for one. 

• Moderators
13 hours ago, wvu80 said:

True, excellent point.  I'm coming from a Panasonic 47" so  65 will be a pretty good jump up in size.. 

This site was helpful to me, I have to see thing in comparison. 

http://www.displaywars.com/70-inch-16x9-vs-75-inch-16x9

This one should be 70" vs. 75" but it will let you compare pretty much any sizes.

Sorry if this was posted already.

Travis

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

This site was helpful to me, I have to see thing in comparison. 

This one should be 70" vs. 75" but it will let you compare pretty much any sizes.

Sorry if this was posted already.

Travis

Summary

In comparison to a 75 inch 16x9 TV a 70 inch 16x9 is...

7% smaller diagonally and 13% smaller by area as a 16x9 display.

7% smaller diagonally and 13% smaller by area as a 4x3 display

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, windashine said:

I am pleased with my LED TV, I got a Walmart vizio D-series (non-smart) 43" - and just use OTA in Garland

https://www.vizio.com/d43ne1.html

note: you could buy 5 of these, for the price of one large whooper TV.

Vizios are generally cheap trash, I have had three, and NONE of them have lasted over about a year and a half, the last one had a 68 inch screen and was only $800 at Sam's club.

Mom just bought a 4K Samsung 82 inch that my daughters boyfriend and I mounted over the fireplace mantle and she has an LG in 55 inch in the bedroom. I am not sure of the size of the LG downstairs, but it is probably 44 inches or close

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:13 PM, windashine said:

… just wanted to add one more consideration - travel mode from the store to your house (or delivery and installation charges), weight, size, type of transport vehicle, and help hanging it on the wall, if picking it up yourself....

My mom and Dad have one of the small Lexus SUVs, I think the model number is 350. I helped load a Samsung 82 inch into it and it was a "TIGHT" fit. Had to leave the rear hatch open, but that box wasn't going anywhere without a lot of help. Surprisingly, the new 82 inch Samsung weighed less than the LG 55 inch it replaced.

Roger

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:24 AM, Schu said:

That's kind of a personal choice... I know of folks that have had trouble with Amazon and it takes time to get it resolved... but it usually always gets resolved. Sam's give you the ability to take care of issues in person which can pacify quicker. 

I personally have never had an issue with large monitors from amazing and have always gone thru them prior... but this latest time I got my Oled thru frys electronics brick and mortar because they came very close to Amazon pricing and I wanted that monitor asap. 

One other thing to consider is that some places like Costco will sell yoh an extended warranty even if you did not buy the monitor from them, Sam's may have a similar program. In that way you could buy the monitor from Amazon and apply the savings towards an extended warranty.

Frankly less than a 100 bucks is close enough for me to just go get it in person and make sure it's an unopened factory fresh unit... be careful of resealed boxes.

Yes, Sam's is running a promotion on the extended warranty right now with prices set by screen size, NOT model number  :D

Roger