Help buying new TV, old one died (TV bought!)

wvu80

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

You have to be really careful buying on Black Friday.  Many times tv/camera/PC/tool makers will put out special items for door busters.  They look very similar to the normal items but will have less features.  Tools may have smaller batteries, PC's have less RAM, TV's lose options etc.  Be sure you compare apples to apples and double check item numbers.  Manufacturers have gotten really good at this game.

2+ Been my experience they also don't usually offer the best/better tv's on Black Friday deals. 

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Try a broomstick. 

=== firstly lets keep the broomstick away from me, if you don’t mind. You have attributed the quote to me, actually it’s WVU being “open to suggestions”. Which easily explains his need for a new and comfy chair should be follow Carl’s advice. Similar to NASCAR announcers saying driver xxx is “sitting on the pole”. That can’t be pleasant either —. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== firstly lets keep the broomstick away from me, if you don’t mind. You have attributed the quote to me, actually it’s WVU being “open to suggestions”. Which easily explains his need for a new and comfy chair should be follow Carl’s advice. Similar to NASCAR announcers saying driver xxx is “sitting on the pole”. That can’t be pleasant either —. 

Sure, just try and sweep my comments under a rug.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Emile said:
12 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I really do need a new chair for the mancave

Didn't we go through this a month ago?? :D 

Did we?  I had totally forgotten, I've been a bit distracted lately.  Well, I haven't made any chair decisions/purchases either.

Forgive me, it's been a hellofa week I'm trying to forget.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:
12 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Well, I haven't made any chair decisions/purchases either.

Shocker. 

You should be holding me up for praise, extolling my virtues as one who is able to delay gratification as I economically await the lower prices which are sure to come with Black Friday next week.

Have I not proven myself worthy, to your higher standards of manhood?

1132993514_Quickpics2019_00006.thumb.jpg.c191454c80e189393ac52a4f8c656124.jpg

BTW, I'm now thinking about stretching the budget a bit and getting the Samsung QLED, but in a 75" instead of a 65".  What do you think?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

What do you think?

Go big or go home.

When I bought the 60" for our living room my wife saw it and said that it was WAAAAAY too big for us.  We were coming from a 32"er.  She really thought the 50" would have been plenty.  Bear in mind that this was 10+ years ago and big panels weren't as prevalent as they are today.  Now she loves the TV and wouldn't consider anything smaller.

• Thanks 1

Are those surround speakers sitting on top of your main speakers doing surround duty or are they for Atmos?  That would drive me nuts.  And how far away do you sit from the TV?  The "unwritten rule" and recommendation years ago was twice the distance of the diagonal size of the TV would visually look best to what our minds perceive in video without having the "I'm sitting on the first row of a movie theater watching the movie" syndrome.  So, a 75" diagonal TV would have optimum viewing at 150" back....about 12.5 feet.

I'm seriously glad I don't rep A/V stuff anymore or care about surround.  A good 1080p TV with an OTA antenna is all I need anymore since I despise paying for a bunch of channels no one in the house watches anyway.  

I didn't get to read through all of the pages on this thread so I don't know if this has been covered already but for the past 15 years I have bought all of my tv's from Best Buy and I always get their extended warranty (~$150). 2 tv's have needed repair and I received full purchase credit to get a new tv that was far superior to the one I was replacing. Same thing with a Pioneer Elite receiver. HDMI ports seem to go bad fairly often on both tv's and receivers so I will always get an extended warranty to protect my investment.

With regard to the smart tv/streaming services, I use Apple TVs for that. I like their interface much more than apps on my Sony or Panasonic tv's. Yes it adds another remote to your side table but I think it is worth it. Again, not sure if anyone mentioned that as an option for you earlier.

2 hours ago, avguytx said:

Are those surround speakers sitting on top of your main speakers doing surround duty or are they for Atmos? 

Not an Atmos configuration.  Those are RS-62 surround speakers, a substantial sized surround.  I did try positioning them to shoot up/down but that didn't help the sound.

In playing with the extra speakers I had laying around I upped my system from my preferred 3.1 setup to a full 5.1 then I experimented with Front Heights which is usually a pair of smallish bookshelf speakers mounted near the ceiling and angled downward.  Just for fun I put the surrounds on top of the L/R.  I was stunned to find how those dipole speakers widened the front soundstage! 

Don't tell anybody on the Klipsch forum I said so, but the soundstage is now VERY similar to when I had my Khorns in the same living room in both corners. 

Because the RS-62 drivers now angle inward the sound reinforces itself and makes the sound come from IN THE MIDDLE of the TV screen as if that's where the center speaker was located.  The RS62 drivers also angle outward much the same way the Khorn bass bin does as well as (dare I say it) Bose direct reflecting speakers.  If the looks of it is what drives you nuts, I agree.  It is goofy looking but I think that's because it's so unorthodox.  It looks better with the grills on. 

But man, does this new setup 5.1 with RF-83's and Front Heights really rival the soundstage of the mighty Khorns.  I'm really pleased with the sound.

The pic below shows how the  RS-62 Front Heights blend synergistically with the center to create a center channel 3-D sound which flows exactly through the center of the TV (center of the triangle)

RS-62 Heights_00002.jpg

That would drive me nuts.  And how far away do you sit from the TV?  The "unwritten rule" and recommendation years ago was twice the distance of the diagonal size of the TV would visually look best to what our minds perceive in video without having the "I'm sitting on the first row of a movie theater watching the movie" syndrome.  So, a 75" diagonal TV would have optimum viewing at 150" back....about 12.5 feet. 

Another excellent question.  I used the rtings.com TV Size to Distance Chart which determined that since I sit about 11 feet away then 75" would be the optimum size.  That's why I'm now looking at going from 65" to 75" even though I already decided I wanted a high quality 65 Quantum dot rather than a less vibrant 75 standard LCD.  Because of that chart the 75" screen size was starting to appeal to me more than the smaller 65.  OLED is out of my budget by a bunch.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

I'm seriously glad I don't rep A/V stuff anymore or care about surround.  A good 1080p TV with an OTA antenna is all I need anymore since I despise paying for a bunch of channels no one in the house watches anyway.  

Me too and trust me, I would love to cut the cord. 

I'm in rural West Virginia so the only OTA channels I get are 3 PBS stations and a religious station.   Even the internet companies like Youtube TV which might carry my sports channels are not available in WV,  just the larger markets.  I can get cable or satellite and because I need the internet, cable is the best option for me.

Our friends here are razzing me because I can't decide on anything and I keep changing my mind but that's because I read and consider all the suggestions, including yours about viewing distance.  The living room TV that died for which I paid premium bucks ten years ago was a good choice because we don't buy a TV every couple of years and I didn't want it to be obsolete too fast.

I am doing the same thing now, trying to get a TV which will last me 5 years so I want to spend a bit extra to get a good size and PQ I can live with for a while.  My budget is $1500 but for a few dollars more I can get the latest and greatest..???...and you know how that goes.   It never stops.