Help buying new TV, old one died (TV bought!)

wvu80

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

You should be holding me up for praise, extolling my virtues as one who is able to delay gratification as I economically await the lower prices which are sure to come with Black Friday next week.

Have I not proven myself worthy, to your higher standards of manhood?

1132993514_Quickpics2019_00006.thumb.jpg.c191454c80e189393ac52a4f8c656124.jpg

BTW, I'm now thinking about stretching the budget a bit and getting the Samsung QLED, but in a 75" instead of a 65".  What do you think?

On the manhood thing...…..  NO!

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2018 at 1:56 PM, Ceptorman said:

We are all living vicariously through you Dave, and we thank you for all your research.

Hey, hey, hey!  Speak for yourself Ceptorman!!  I just love spending Dave's money!!! 😁

5 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Just went to Costco again and now they have added an LG 65" OLED tv to the offerings there at $2499.00. Interestingly they have the Samsung QLED and LG OLED tvs on one side of the isle and all those other less impressive Tvs on the other side.

I'm thinking the deal on the LG 65" OLED can be beat by a wide margin by Chris at Cleveland Plasma.  I guess it's time I call Chris and tell him I'm Dave and get that OLED TV to WV.

• Haha 1

Thanks for helping me spend my money! 

Costco has no inventory for the Vizio PQ65 but Sams Club does!  The Sams price on-line only dropped to $1400 matching the Costco price which went into effect just this morning.   It cost me an extra hundred bucks for the state sales tax but if there is a problem, the peace of mind to return the TV to the store is worth it.  I also got the extended 4 year warranty for about $30 per year.

I just ordered the Viz, due to be delivered to my house by Dec 3.  Just in time to miss all the Thanksgiving day football games!  Oh well, what else could I do?

Now, if I could just make that office chair decision I've been putting off for two months...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:
3 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Good luck with the Vizio! I had one myself for a couple of months once............

I'm sure he checked reviews as part of his extensive research.

I did do extensive research.  I read the consumer reviews, in particular the one-star ratings and I read the on-line pro reviews. You know the problem?  They ALL had problems!  I just choose the best one I thought I could find in my price range regardless of what they originally retailed for, so dollar-for-dollar, what is the best one today

I hedged my bet by getting a new-for-2018 design and I got the extended 4-year warranty, so five years total.  I didn't know what else to do.

I know it's a crap shoot.  I would have gone for the larger Samsung Premium 75" but it had consumer complaints as well.  I just hope I get a good screen with crappy sound.  To save money I would have bought it without speakers if I could, I've got the sound covered.  B)

+++

FYI the Viz PQ65 was out of stock and Costco so it was a non-starter.  I ordered mine at 6:30 am this morning from Sams Club on-line 6:30 am and by 9am they were out of stock as well.

I bought the Vizio I had at Sam's too. They have/had a 90 day customer satisfaction guarantee. So at about the 60 day mark it started turning itself off. I tried the Vizio warranty first and they sent a guy out and he couldn't fix it with the board he brought. I returned it at that point and got something else. You may have a great experience with yours and I hope you do. 

• Thanks 1

Yes it is a crapshoot. Know what the "G" stands for in LG? Goldstar. They built some of the crappiest consumer electronics that have ever been built years ago. I wouldn't buy anything they make, personally. As far as Sameoldsung goes, everyone that I know that ever bought a Sameoldsung TV has had motherboard or other problems with them. NADA.

I watch a Vizio that I bought 4 years ago this month. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. Updates automatically whether on or off if you have WeeFee. If I bought today I would probably buy a Sony XBR but the slight differences, except the price, will be forgotten in a week or two of watching.

Hope you're stuck watching your Vizio for years and years Dave.

Keith

• Thanks 1

everyone that I know that ever bought a Sameoldsung TV has had motherboard or other problems with them.

Count me out of that list. My family (my house, cousins and so on) owns at least 15 Samsung TVs and not one of them had had a single issue.   From my luck with them, would continue to buy.   Can't speak to Vizio.  Haven't had good luck with LG products myself either. Phones, appliances and TVs.   Never again. 

3 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

I bought the Vizio I had at Sam's too. They have/had a 90 day customer satisfaction guarantee. So at about the 60 day mark it started turning itself off. I tried the Vizio warranty first and they sent a guy out and he couldn't fix it with the board he brought. I returned it at that point and got something else. You may have a great experience with yours and I hope you do. 

Don't think I haven't thought about that! 

I had already decided not to buy from Costco because there was no local store where I could return if (when?) a problem would come up.  I may even leave the new Viz turned on 24/7 to try to stress it out to the failing point the first month I have it.  If it's going to fail, I want it to fail fast.

I was so frustrated reading about all the problems with Vizio, Samsung, Sony in my price range I was just about ready to buy the cheapest thing I could and then just get another one next year when the current one failed.  I really didn't want a Viz because of the known issues, I wanted a Samsung but it had its issues too.  I had to grab something, I just hope this one lasts.