Help buying new TV, old one died (TV bought!)

wvu80

2 hours ago, T2K said:

I watch a Vizio that I bought 4 years ago this month. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. Updates automatically whether on or off if you have WeeFee. If I bought today I would probably buy a Sony XBR but the slight differences, except the price, will be forgotten in a week or two of watching.

Hope you're stuck watching your Vizio for years and years Dave. -Keith

Thanks Keith.

Oh yeah, I would love to have an a Sony XBR or an Oled of some type.  Both about $1000 out of my price range, about a third higher but much higher rated than the mid-range TV's I was looking at.  The Viz I choose was the highest rated LCD by Rtings.com after the Oled models, even higher rated than the Sammy Qleds.

Reliability?  Fingers crossed the 2018 Viz has fixed the problems of the past.  I guess I'll be the first to find out.

+++

LG is Goldstar?  I didn't know that, and I do know what junk Goldstar is.  I always thought LG stood for Life's Good.  🙉

+++

Thanks to a thread in AVSforums.com I've been following others who were looking for the same Viz PQ65 I got early this morning. 

Out of stock:  Costco, Sams Club, Best Buy, Target and even direct from Vizio.com.

https://www.vizio.com/topdeals/pq65f1.html

I would counter that i have a Samsung plasma thats over 10 years old sitting in my bedroom with zero issues ever and my living room was a 5 year old Samsung with no issues other than I got upgradeitis. Ive purchased products from just about every electronics manufacturers ans havent had any issues with any of them.  Dont fall into the tribalisms, there are lots of great products out there. No need for name calling...

59 minutes ago, Kalifornian said:

Dont fall into the tribalisms, there are lots of great products out there. No need for name calling...

I don't know what you mean by tribalisms.

You have a Sammy plasma that's been fantastic and lasted for years, I don't doubt that for a second.  But they don't make plasma's anymore and your Sammy has nothing in common with the new for 2018 Samsungs which have known issues and problems.  All of the TV's I researched had problems and issues from quality problems to quirky smart TV ads that can't be disabled (Samsung).  LG has a poor dim screen.  The Viz has banding and poor off-axis viewing.  Sony's fail on a regular basis and need board level repair.  The list goes on.

When I had a computer business I went through the same thing with Seagate hard disk drives.  Their rep for reliability was historically the best, 5 years Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) but when I ordered a hundred of the newest higher capacity drives for the local school system Seagate had gone to a cheaper supplier and had subsequent quality control issues and about a third of them just flat failed.  I was the first to discover the new ones were crap and it cost me money.

Just because the old stuff had a good rep doesn't necessarily mean the new ones are just as good.  That's what I discovered.

You ask for advice, I say anything but Vizio, then.......

The tv in question actually worked well except it would turn off randomly. It started happening more often. Could not figure it out, customer service acted like they never heard of it happening. Fought with it for a few months. Then I saw JL's post here on the forum a few month's back about his doing the same thing. I googled it and it was happening all the time to many other customers. That's what ticked me off. You are forewarned so it wont be as painful for you if it happens. Hope you have better luck than I did. Sam's was very good about taking it back once I knew it was a common failure.

Have we sufficiently taken the fun out of your new purchase? :wink:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Have we sufficiently taken the fun out of your new purchase? :wink:

Nah, you're gold.  You know that.  :)

Your Viz that had the problem, was it the same model I just ordered?

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/vizio-quantum-65in-4k-televsion-hdr-smart-240hz-hdmi/prod22380728.ip?pid=_CSE_CSSGoogleFix_Connex_5_980127649&source=ifpla&CAWELAID=730010300002049554

Trust me I've already got my Plan B in order should Plan A go belly up.

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Got one of junky 65" Vizio 4K tv's about 3.5 years ago, no problems and it has a great picture. M65C1 was the model, it was $1599 at the time.

The specs were better than any brand over 2K at the time and had all the connections I needed, it has a great picture.

Wouldn't buy anything LG, I have been told by a couple repair guys that everything they make is junk but keeps them in business. 

This reminds me of a mechanic I used to use.  He hated to work on BMW's and didn't have much good to say about them.  After I got my first BMW, I switched mechanics since he hated to work on them.  For what that is worth, I have found them to be very reliable, and the engines are practically bullet proof.

Add to that we have a member here who fixes Hondas for a living.  Hondas never need fixing, right?  Wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/vizio-quantum-65in-4k-televsion-hdr-smart-240hz-hdmi/prod22380728.ip?pid=_CSE_CSSGoogleFix_Connex_5_980127649&source=ifpla&CAWELAID=730010300002049554

Not the same model!

You should be fine. My problem was not knowing there were issues out there. Never had a problem before or after. This unit was also a gift to a technology challenged brother in law, so I jumped to the conclusion it was him for about a month. Guess I owe him an apology.........nah!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

So you DO have the 65" LG OLED on standby?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Wouldn't buy anything LG, I have been told by a couple repair guys that everything they make is junk but keeps them in business. 

I know what you mean, check out the LG refrigerators where the light would stay on.  How do I know about that, except that I caught it before the meltdown.  It turned out to be a bad relay on the board.  Now I only keep one light in the refrigerator.

But, as far as OLED TVs go, the only other alternative is Sony, which is overpriced and we lived with the famous Sony Vertical Line Syndrome for several years before we chose the LG OLED.  In my opinion the LG OLED is better than the Sony in many ways. 

I'll whisper so Dave doesn't hear, but Vizeo has a pretty poor reputation too from what I understand.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:38 PM, MookieStl said:

You ask for advice, I say anything but Vizio, then.......

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

These days I think it is all a crap shoot.  Do you feel lucky?  Well do ya?

I think your right, it can even come down to some models are good some are terrible within the same brand.

12 minutes ago, ksquared said:

I know what you mean, check out the LG refrigerators where the light would stay on. 

That reminds me of our microwave, the light works only when it running, no way to have it on once it stops and you're trying to get something out. 

2 hours ago, ksquared said:
5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

So you DO have the 65" LG OLED on standby?

LOL!  Only if I had your money!

I'm thinking more along the lines of a Samsung NU8000 75" in about the same price range. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T2K said:

I've got a Toshiba TV in a bedroom that my grandmother bought in 1913. It still has a super picture. The batteries in the remote did need replacing last year though. --Keith

Sorry, I find that hard to believe.

You have a Toshiba?