Help buying new TV, old one died (TV bought!)

wvu80

The model of Q series is VERY important.  The Q6 (which seems to be all the rage for SC, BB, and Costco) to put on sale is edge lit led.  The Q8 is the FALD and makes a HUGE difference.  I got the 65" Q8 at RC Wiley Preblack friday for 2k even.  Havent seen it less than 2250 anywhere...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalifornian said:

The model of Q series is VERY important.  The Q6 (which seems to be all the rage for SC, BB, and Costco) to put on sale is edge lit led.  The Q8 is the FALD and makes a HUGE difference. 

The Q6 hits a price point, like everything else.  The Samsung Qled in-store demo is very impressive, colors just pop and the clarity is amazing.

And just like the 8K $15,000 Samsung in the Yotube vid that @schu posted directly upstream ^^^ there is always something better.

Certainly fully local array dimming is critical for optimum performance, but also remember that the QLED is not comparable with Dolby vision... you need to step to the Sony xbr for that. The difference is Qled is static meta data while the xbr is capable of dynamic meta data.

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Certainly fully local array dimming is critical for optimum performance, but also remember that the QLED is not comparable with Dolby vision... you need to step to the Sony xbr for that. The difference is Qled is static meta data while the xbr is capable of dynamic meta data.

I'm very sure my yet-to-be delivered Vizio PQ6500 has technology I don't fully understand yet.  The PQ65 does have Dolby Vision as well as HDR10 and SDR and I have no earthly idea what those are except that I will need them sometime in the future.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-quantum

I've never even heard of static and dynamic meta data but I bet I need those too.  :wacko2:

+++

Shipping mess update:

Amount of time for the Viz to make the 5 hour drive from Philly to Pittsburgh, 9 days.  It's then a three hour ride to my house.  That was 11 days ago.

Pittsburgh then shipped the Viz via local trucking company to my town Parkersburg.  Local guys screwed up the paper work, never heard of me and shipped it back to Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh then shipped it back to Parkersburg, where upon receiving it Parkersburg shipped it BACK to Pittsburgh.

That's TWICE it's been local and the contracted shippers sent it back to Pittsburgh.  I called the local guys TWICE on two separate days and they didn't have any paper work with my name of phone number.  The guy on the other end sounded annoyed that I called and didn't bother to follow up or check.

After several more phone calls to the home office in Chicago, Pittsburgh is supposed to ship it BACK to my town tomorrow and the local guys will give me a call to arrange home delivery.  I'm not holding my breath they are going to get it right. 

What do you suppose the odds are this TV will be beat to death by the shippers, or that it will work after the LIQUID crystal display has been ruined by the freezing temperatures we are having here? 

hdr10 means static meta data... that means the peak brightness and darkness are fixed, they do not change.

dobly vision means dynamic meta data... that means peak brightness and darkness can fluctuate with content demands.

in the real world what that means is if you are watching a scene in a heavy or shadowed lighting and the scene moves to a bright outdoors scene, with hdr10 your scenes will be slightly compromised because the peak brightness is fixed... blowing out some highlight detail or crushing some shadow detail. with dobly vision, those peaks and shadows can be adjusted on the fly my the processor/tv making for better highlight detail and better near black details.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Nothing here interests me. There are no 21 x 9's.

JJK

Same here.:)  I know 1.78:1 can be enjoyable, but to achieve what it was designed to do, "'Scope" should be bigger, not smaller, than the so-called HDTV "widescreen" [1.78:1, i.e., 16:9] that is slightly smaller than standard screen [1.85:1 from about 1954 on], which we film buffs used to call "narrow screen" to contrast it with "widescreen," which would be 2.35:1, or 2.39:1 ["2.4:1"] or the 70 mm formats of 2.2:1 or 2.75:1.  "Common Height" is what the better theaters have used since the advent of CinemaScope in 1953, which would mean that a director selecting 'Scope would expect a picture of larger area than standard, which, everything else being equal, would be more immersive.

We finally installed a 2.35:1 projection screen and a projector, so "'Scope" looks like "'Scope."

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Schu said:

Oh yeah... heaven forbid you drive a automobile that can't adjust for altitude, humidity,  fuel type.

:)

I don't think you are grasping the idea of dynamic adjustments.

I see what you did there 😁

But I take issue with your choice of comparisons.... if you look at Audysee adjustments and TV or AVR video adjustments just because the manufacture implements them doesn't autmatically mean they work the way they are intended to (ie motion handling actually causing more judder ect) And dynamic volume control compressing the music as to make it unenjoyable.  The same goes with dynamic contrast, if you dont notice it then good for you, but for me it IS noticable and takes away from the experience.  Comparing it to an automobile changing speeds is over simplification at best.... 

On 11/27/2018 at 2:02 PM, Schu said:

hdr10 means static meta data... that means the peak brightness and darkness are fixed, they do not change.

dobly vision means dynamic meta data... that means peak brightness and darkness can fluctuate with content demands.

Thanks for the info!  My Viz has Dolby Vision.  Does the source need to be broadcast in DV or is that a feature the TV does on its own?

I'm still in full blown learning mode and I probably will be for a while until I get this new thing dialed in.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 4:51 PM, rebuy said:

10 Years is pretty good for today's TV

I am going on 12 years with my Bravia, I am only considering an upgrade to go bigger and 4k.  With that being said, I am having a hard time deciding between a 55" x900f for $1098 or a 65" X850f for $1098.   

Bedroom Sony went out a few weeks ago and since this is only used for casual watching before bedtime I didn't want to spend a lot on a new one. So I went to Walmart and picked up a hisense 55 inch 4k smart tv with 120 refresh rate. So not bottom of the line but it was on sale for 248 dollars. Has a great picture and the blacks are super dark while whites really pop very vivid. Really think I got about the best tv I could for that amount of money. Very pleased. That Sony was 14 years old btw. Don't know how the sound is on the hisense. Use an older kenwood integrated and a pair of cf1s for sound in there.