Help buying new TV, old one died (TV bought!)

wvu80

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, Schu said:

I saw this at the local Frys electronics... Now we're talking!

Beautiful Picture, I knew this was coming, but you can't even get  much 4K material yet. Subscription is expensive an highly limited and Blue Ray 4K is highly limited as well. I bout the Samsung 9500 4K Blueray instead of the 8500 because it is supposed to have better upscaling.  Most places don't even carry the 9500 or the 9700, and NOBODY has them plugged in so you can view the differences.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:59 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

Could be BS.  I don't have enough experience watching 4k material to see what it's like compared to 1080p.  I don't subscribe to TV stuff and just watch what's OTA or nothing.  4k would be useless to me since it is not broadcast yet.

Jeff,

He is full of BS!! I can see a difference and although I can't here what he is saying here at work, I am willing to bet that he doesn't discuss the size of the screen that he says you can't tell a difference on! Absolutely and for sure you can see a difference on my moms new 82 inch 4K Samsung and I'll bet the difference is friggin huge on a projector! I bought my mom a 4K Samsung Blueray for this coming Christmas and it is said to do a better job of upgrading standard Bluerays to 4K. It will also stream 4K content via the computer, so no reason for you not to pull the plug except that better pictures are coming down the pipe  :D

Rog

• Like 1

10 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Good luck with your Vizio, this the first of three that I haven't had problems with yet

I was concerned about the reliability as well, but my research showed that all the brands had reliability problems and of course the Oleds (which all use LG panels) have the image burn-in concerns. 

My Viz was new-for-2018 and doesn't use the same screen as in the past, it's the P Series Quantum and it's covered with the standard 1 year-warranty plus I got a 4 year warranty beyond that.  It's been phenomenal so far, the PQ is great.

I fretted about it long enough, I had to get something! 

• Like 3

• Moderators
12 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:
On 11/26/2018 at 12:38 PM, dtel said:

Na but I would guess metal Halide around 5000K would be best? 

Get with the times old man, they have real expensive LED grow lights that put out the needed Lumens without alerting your electricity company by usage spikes  :D

I'm too old to get with the times, no need to use grow lights, I would rather let someone else do the work. Only thing I grow is outside garden plants and maby vegetables if I remember to plant in time.

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Good luck with your Vizio, this the first of three that I haven't had problems with yet

Been having one for a few years now, looks great, might have got lucky, or you were unlucky?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Do the Vizio's still come with the antenna input jack? -JJK

It depends on the model.  Not all of these new TV's come with a tuner.

My Vizio PQ65F1 has a tuner and the antennae is connected through the coax connector.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:
46 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Do the Vizio's still come with the antenna input jack? -JJK

It depends on the model.  Not all of these new TV's come with a tuner.

My Vizio PQ65F1 has a tuner and the antennae is connected through the coax connector.

Ours does but the newer models may not?  It's the coax connector like WVU said, some models may not have a tuner.

26 minutes ago, dtel said:

some models may not have a tuner.

The ATSC TV Tuner is a component built into conventional TV sets for receiving over‑the‑air broadcast TV without a cable/satellite box. Most households commonly stream or watch live TV from cable and satellite boxes. Neither of these requires a tuner, so you shouldn’t notice any differences in setup from your current TV.

If you use an external antenna to watch free local channels, you will need a separate tuner adapter to connect your antenna to the display.

All VIZIO SmartCast 4K Ultra HD displays are tuner‑free.

https://www.vizio.com/tuner-free

What's odd with regards to the Viz statement ^^^ is my Viz PQ65 does have the SmartCast and it does have a tuner.