Help buying new TV, old one died (TV bought!)

wvu80

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, JJkizak said:

Gee, I live 25 miles from Cleveland and have never heard of Cleveland Plasma.

JJK

Just checked---They are 5 miles away from my house.

JJK

Same thing in Hope, Arkansas. First time to the Klipsch plant, asking people at Restaurants and Gas stations and NOBODY has heard of it.

On 11/2/2018 at 12:20 PM, wvu80 said:

I never even thought of that!

The audio cab is 60'wide.  There is an additional 6" to each side until I reach the speakers.  I probably have another 6" I could move the speakers out.

+++

Upon further reflection, I've decided to equip my home theater with something small, something with a super sharp picture.  Who wants those gigantic blurry screens anyway? 

Quick pics 2019_00001.jpg

Quick pics 2019_00004.jpg

Wow, what a spectacular setup!!  I can only imagine how excellent those speakers sound!!!! :)

On 11/1/2018 at 5:49 PM, Schu said:

In your situation, I have to say that size is WAY better than outright dynamic range performance... buy size over quality.

Also, give Cleveland plasma a chance to price match anything you are seeing.  call them direct,  they have a great reputation.

OK, maybe I shouldn't do this, but I'm going to partially disagree with Schu.

I would always buy quality over size.  However, I too was searching for a TV awhile back.  I was debating between the LG OLED 55" and the OLED 65", which was significantly more expensive.  I asked the question on Amazon, and one guy replied, no question, if you have to wait and save up, get the OLED 65".  So OK, I went with quality and size, so I suppose Schu is pretty much right after all. :)

I know he is right about Chris at Cleveland Plasma, which is where I ended up getting the 65" LG OLED TV from.  The model we got was the OLED65C7P model.

On 10/31/2018 at 5:47 PM, wvu80 said:

She's still mad that I bought the last one in 2008.  She didn't see anything wrong with our RCA 19" tube TV.

This is the same wife who says she can't hear any difference between an AM radio and the speaker setup you see in the picture of our living room ^^^.  :rolleyes:

OK, here is my wife story. :)

Chris said before shipping, it was essential to carefully check the box for any damage while the delivery guy is still there, and note it on the delivery sheet.  OK, straightforward enough!  So one day I was going to be gone a few hours, and told my wife everything that Chris had said, if on the rare chance the delivery guy would get there.  SO, I get home after not too long, and there's a giant TV box sitting in the foyer!!  Well, a giant, shredded TV box with a huge hole poked into it.  I looked, and asked if I hadn't explained about what to look for when it was delivered.  My wife said she understood completely, and even though the box is shredded toast, she knew that I meant to see if the TV inside was damaged. :)   Of course.  So I immediately emailed Chris with a few photos, and started unboxing it.  I opened the box, and saw there was another box inside.  So I got the outer box off, and the inner box was in much better condition.  It wasn't shredded, but there was a hole in it, although much smaller than the outer box.  So I opened the inner box, and the TV was perfect, whatever poked through hadn't hit the TV.  So because Chris was so fastidious about packing things correctly, the TV arrived safely, and I have no doubt it would have been destroyed otherwise.

So if there is only room for the 55" OLED, I'd still get an OLED over anything else.  This is my personal opinion, but others who have seen it also agree, it is completely different from any "regular" TV.  And no, I haven't seen everything, but we did consider Sony and ended up thinking they were a bit overpriced for what you got.  I also thought the LG was superior to the Sony on many points, including having a setting that is supposed to help prevent burn-in.  I do worry about that, but if others here haven't wrecked the TV by now, LG must have done a good job providing protection for it.

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2018 at 9:25 AM, wvu80 said:

True, excellent point.  I'm coming from a Panasonic 47" so  65 will be a pretty good jump up in size.. 

I still have a Panasonic 42" Plasma monitor TV, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&is=REG&sku=886838 so if you're used to looking at a Plasma TV you'll have to step up to an LG OLED.  Otherwise, you'll still have to step up to an LG OLED!!

Have I EVER steered you wrong yet???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just make sure to get one with a native 120Hz refresh rate, not one that has a native 60Hz refresh rate then artificial things like 120Hz smooth motion or whatever different brands call it.

You'll have much better panning back and forth for film and live tv.

55 minutes ago, ksquared said:

I still have a Panasonic 42" Plasma monitor TV, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&is=REG&sku=886838 so if you're used to looking at a Plasma TV you'll have to step up to an LG OLED.  Otherwise, you'll still have to step up to an LG OLED!!

Plasma rules for me, although the 4k content tvs are amazing in their own way.  I think plasma looks more real, some of the 4k content is so clear that it is hard to think that real life has ever looked like that through your own eyes.  I also love my panny plasma, well, both of them.  The choice is set now, there are no new plasmas.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Plasma rules for me, although the 4k content tvs are amazing in their own way.  I think plasma looks more real, some of the 4k content is so clear that it is hard to think that real life has ever looked like that through your own eyes.  I also love my panny plasma, well, both of them.  The choice is set now, there are no new plasmas.

Plasmas are the tubes of the video world.  It will be a sad day when my KURO gives it up.

3 hours ago, ksquared said:

who

Thanks for the wife story and for the OLED  story. I will consider the oled. I had not thought about it before. 

Sorry about the lousy quote but I am doing this reply on a smart phone using voice command and it’s not working very well for me. 

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Thanks for the wife story and for the OLED  story. I will consider the oled. I had not thought about it before. 

Sorry about the lousy quote but I am doing this reply on a smart phone using voice command and it’s not working very well for me. 

=== phone not all That smart then, huh?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Not that I know of. Not so far.  J/k

I did come to the conclusion that I don’t have room for a 75 and probably a 70. That opens the possibility to a good quality 65. I have seen the research on the oleds and as you already know nothing will touch the picture quality. I’m open to everything.

3 minutes ago, Davis said:

Interesting article.

Being calibrated out of the box is something I hope more manufacturers pick up on.

I've had mine done twice.  Once when it was relatively new and then again 6 or 7 years later.  It barely drifted off calibration at all.  I doubt I'll have it done again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I've had mine done twice.  Once when it was relatively new and then again 6 or 7 years later.  It barely drifted off calibration at all.  I doubt I'll have it done again.

I did my Sony XBR when it was new and everything was right on the money. But I did adjust the picture size a smidgen to just not include the data bar.

JJK

5 hours ago, Davis said:

Interesting article.

Being calibrated out of the box is something I hope more manufacturers pick up on.

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I have wondered about having this done.  First, as Davis said, if it was perfectly calibrated right out of the box, I suppose I'd be disappointed then if I paid somebody to come in and calibrate it.  

To me, the picture from the OLED is stunning, I really couldn't imagine it getting any better, but was there a noticeable improvement after calibration?