Help buying new TV, old one died (TV bought!)

wvu80

16 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Not that I know of. Not so far.

I did come to the conclusion that I don’t have room for a 75 and probably a 70. That opens the possibility to a good quality 65. I have seen the research on the oleds and as you already know nothing will touch the picture quality. I’m open to everything.

TCL 55" Class 4K Ultra HD Roku LED LCD TV

$329.99

Bear in mind that picture quality is a function of "garbage in."  In other words, TV's are way ahead of the curve.  Broadcasting lags tremendously.  In the store displays, many vendors are showing how great the picture can be when supplied with sources better than you'll get in most cases.

Read up on 4k:  https://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/what-is-4k-2908860

46 minutes ago, ksquared said:

To me, the picture from the OLED is stunning, I really couldn't imagine it getting any better, but was there a noticeable improvement after calibration?

There was in the reds.  Mine was pretty saturated but I never noticed it .  Actually I noticed it but thought it was normal.  Once calibrated everything just looked right.  Mine is a plasma and not OLED though.

3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

TCL 55" Class 4K Ultra HD Roku LED LCD TV

I looked carefully at the TCLs. Professional reviewers like them. Owner reviews not so much.   The cost is about a third, saving $1000. It tends to have what I need, excellent picture with lousy audio. I don’t want to spend an extra $.10 on the audio.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

I looked carefully at the TCLs. Professional reviewers like them. Owner reviews not so much.   The cost is about a third, saving $1000. It tends to forget what I need, excellent picture with lousy audio. I don’t want to spend an extra $.10 on the audio.

I wasn't trying to push that model.  Whatever you prefer is what you prefer.  I was just pointing out that even cheap-o 4k video is more than you'll get to enjoy.  Thre just isn't enough material out there, and broadcasting is still in 1080 (I think). 

• Thanks 1

I always go for quality over screen size, but that's just me. I would probably go with either a Samsung 55"Q8 (1499$ best buy right now), or a Sony 55"X900F (1199$ best buy) . The Samsung is good if you like bright and vibrant colors. The Sony shines in the movie department/sports, more realistic/accurate coloring, best processor and upscaling capabilites out of all TVs on the market (Sony X1 Extreme) and I firmly believe that even though both TVs are native 120hz, the Sony seems to have better motion clarity. I own a Sony 65A1E OLED along with a 55X900E and both are phenomenal TVs and could not recommend more. I also have a older Samsung 55ES7100 that has been a great TV as well. Also there a lot of lower model TVs that advertise HDR, but there's a problem.. HDR requires a 10 bit panel capable of producing 1 billion+ different colors and shades. Most of these lower sub 800$ TVs do not have 10 bit panels, but they can decode and "simulate" it with processing but you will not get the full effect of HDR. The Q8 and the 900F models are capable of producing an HDR image.

Comes down to what you like: very bright + vibrant colors = samsung

Toned down more realistic coloring, excellent motion clarity, and the best 4k up scaling capabilities = Sony

You could say I like Sony a lot.. But if you ever go to movie theaters about 75% theaters use Sony projectors. Also a lot of TV networks use Sony cameras and Sony is the oldest TV maker in the game that only make film and audio related products instead of washer and drier machines and fridges etc. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I had a chance to look at the LG‘s tonight at Walmart. I’m out of town and there are bigger Walmarts out there then we have a West Virginia. I really liked the picture quality. I also saw several 65 inch they were all ride at $850. That includes the LG, Samsung , And the Visio. At that price. I like the LG.

I still haven’t decided quality or quantity. I either want to get a really cheap 65 inch and wait for the next HDMI too. Want to come in or go to the top of my budget at around 1500.

On 10/31/2018 at 4:18 PM, wvu80 said:

My ten year-old 48" HDTV in the living room just died today, won't power up.  Yay!  I've been wanting a new one and this is the perfect excuse

Watching this closely, My Samsung UN55D800 is showing black vertical lines throughout the picture. Most irritating.

• Like 1

I would suggest looking at the Sony 65X850F comes in at 1399.99 but this will probably yield best picture under 1500$ in a 65". Remember a lot of the sub 1k 65 inch TVs do not have 120hz refresh and some tend to be very juddery with motion. The larger the screen, the more apparent this will become. You can also check out LG 65SK8000 1099$ pretty decent TV. Blacks aren't as black as the 850f cause it uses a IPS panel which tend to Grey out darker colors but offers wide viewing angles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, MyOwn said:

Watching this closely, My Samsung UN55D800 is showing black vertical lines throughout the picture. Most irritating.

What are your thoughts so far? Are you going big or are you going smaller and higher quality?

27 minutes ago, bmassy said:

You can also check out LG 65SK8000 1099$ pretty decent TV. Blacks aren't as black as the 850f cause it uses a IPS panel which tend to Grey out darker colors but offers wide viewing angles. 

I don’t see the IPS panel in most of the TVs I’ve looked at. I am aware of their  better off axis picture but for whatever reason it does not seem to be as popular. 

We really enjoy our Sony XBR55X930E. It replaced a Sony SXRD which was still going strong but was about to need another bulb and I got a heckuva deal on the XBR. I can't remember the model before the projector but it was a Sony CRT that wouldn't die. I guess I'm saying that my experience with Sony televisions has been phenomenal in both quality of picture and reliability. However there isn't much else in the Sony line I care to own. Being a PC gamer I don't even care about a Playstation. 

• Like 1

The Vizio PQ 65 F1 is currently selling at $2100. There will be a Black Friday sale at Costco where the price will drop to $1400. After I join Cosco the price out the door will be $1500.     

The PQ 65 has HDMI 2.0. My only concern is, should I wait for HDMI 2.1? 

I am going to go with the Vizio PQ 65 F1. Change my mind.

I bought a Sony XBR TV in 1994 for north of $3500. It worked well for many years and I enjoyed it. Had one repair which cost $600. Lasted a few more years. TV's now are disposable and the quality of the top brands are comparable. I personally don't trust that any of them will be trouble free after a couple of years of ownership and would not even think of repairing. To me the quality of many of the brands recommended here will be very comparable in video quality. For example, the Vizio and the Sony that I have now are of very comparable quality, just slightly different. The Vizio cost 2/3's a comparable Sony. I decided to spend $900 on the Vizio rather than $1300 on a Sony. I didn't mind spending the money, the Vizio just satisfied my requirements. And I always buy exactly what I want but expect to get what I pay for. Buy what you want and be happy with it. There's nothing worse than buying and paying for something you didn't really want.

Keith

• Like 1

Went to Costco last night and watched a Samsung OLED 75" display for a few minutes. Wow, that was something to behold. The price was $1,999.00 and the picture was stunning to say the least. It made every other display in the building look like poo poo. I currently have a Sony 70" 1080P in my living room and have been very happy with it, but it is not in the league of this Samsung display.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Went to Costco last night and watched a Samsung OLED 75" display for a few minutes. Wow, that was something to behold. The price was $1,999.00 and the picture was stunning to say the least. It made every other display in the building look like poo poo. 

There aren’t any Costco stores in my whole state!  Oled rules PQ no doubt but the cheapest ones I’ve seen are $500 over my $1500 budget. 

The Viz PQ65 is directly compared with the Oled models in that 2k price range. It doesn’t beat Oled but it’s in that comparison. When it’s dropped to the next lower price tier it looks clearly best bang for the buck. 

I am am looking at this as a 5 year purchase but I worry if I will be instantly obsolete with HDMI 2.1 due out next year. 

22 minutes ago, Schu said:

Samsung OLED?

Not possible

He meant Qled. My research suggests Qled is a notch down from true Oled but still better than backlit LCD. 

I am also impressed with Qled in the store but skeptical that it won’t be as impressive in my living room.