Looking for Advice on Atmos Klipsch Speakers/Setup

suboost

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums and I was hoping to get some advice from some experts. I've had a nice 5.1 polk setup for years now and I'm finally upgrading and leaning towards a 5.1.4 setup or 5.1.2 at a minimum. I've already purchased a few items, but I really need some advice about a few things.

Center Channel: Klipsch RP-450c - Already Ordered, but I just saw a great deal on a 440c for about $150 less than I spent. Is the 450c really worth the extra money?
2 Fronts: Klipsch RP-280FA - Already Ordered
Side Surrounds: Currently my polks are angled diagonally. From what I've seen online it looks like I would be better off facing the speakers directly at my ears from the side. Please correct me if this is wrong. I'm leaning towards Klipsch RP-500SA speakers for this, so I can mount them flush to the wall. Originally I was thinking of the Klipsch RP-250s, but most opinions I found directed me away from the Bipoles for these.
Rear Atmos: I was thinking of mounting the 500SA speakers directly to the beam above the couch. It seems like they would fire downward just above my head or maybe a tad in front of me at the coffee table. Any thoughts on this?

Also in regards to the speaker choices are the 500SA speakers overkill? I was leaning towards the 140SA speakers, but these new ones seem to be much more powerful and just a bit more expensive.

I've attached a picture showing what I'm thinking about. Please excuse the mess, we're redecorating right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm thinking of the Marantz SR6012 for the receiver. Right now I can get a refurb for about $700. Does anyone think this wouldn't be a good fit? Thanks again

Home Theater3.jpg

Home Theater 4.jpg

@suboost,

Welcome to the forum.

1 hour ago, suboost said:

Anyone?

No experience with Atmos yet but you look like you are on your way to some serious HT action.  One suggestion if I may, if possible move your mains out about a foot and toe in a couple of degrees.  I think the result will be better imaging for music while still tying the sound to the screen for movies.

Bill

15 minutes ago, willland said:

@suboost,

Welcome to the forum.

No experience with Atmos yet but you look like you are on your way to some serious HT action.  One suggestion if I may, if possible move your mains out about a foot and toe in a couple of degrees.  I think the result will be better imaging for music while still tying the sound to the screen for movies.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Yea I hope it all works out. I'll definitely kick the speakers out a bit wider and toe them in. Thanks for the advice.

Like Bill said, play with the placement. You definitely need to spread them out, but also the angle, and difference form the wall can make a difference. Sometimes just an inch or so can make a difference in sound. You have a very nice room, and have a well thought out plan.

9 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Like Bill said, play with the placement. You definitely need to spread them out, but also the angle, and difference form the wall can make a difference. Sometimes just an inch or so can make a difference in sound. You have a very nice room, and have a well thought out plan.

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely play around with the positioning. My main concern right now is figuring out if I should mount the 500SA rear height speakers to the beam above the couch angle down or just mount them to the ceiling right above the couch.

12 minutes ago, suboost said:

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely play around with the positioning. My main concern right now is figuring out if I should mount the 500SA rear height speakers to the beam above the couch angle down or just mount them to the ceiling right above the couch.

I believe those speakers are designed to be mounted on the wall or on the ceiling. According to your diagram, I like how you could have two 500SAs on the wall, and two on the beam. I think that will immerse you well in sound. There is an Atmos mounting diagram on here somewhere, but we all know every room is different.

Does anyone know a good way to ceiling mount the 500SA speakers? I'm almost leaning towards getting the SVS Prime Elevation speakers, simply for the fact that they come with a ceiling mount. I'm worried I'll get the 500SA speakers and have a hard time mounting them properly.

So I've decided to go ahead and put in ceiling speakers right above the couch instead of mounting some to the beam/ceiling. It seems like it's a MUCH cheaper option. From what I've read I can buy a $150/Pair and get great sound out of them. Any recommendations to match the rest of the Klipsch set?
Also, I'm rethinking possibly the RP-500SA speakers for a pair of Klipsch RP-150M speakers since they're cheaper and might sound even better. The only thing I'm worried about is since they're rear firing will it be ok on a wall mount since most of them only push the speaker out about 4" from the wall?
Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

On 11/6/2018 at 1:17 PM, suboost said:
So I've decided to go ahead and put in ceiling speakers right above the couch instead of mounting some to the beam/ceiling. It seems like it's a MUCH cheaper option. From what I've read I can buy a $150/Pair and get great sound out of them.

Any new in-ceiling that you can buy for $150 a pair isn't something that you want to buy.  ;)  

3 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Any new in-ceiling that you can buy for $150 a pair isn't something that you want to buy.  ;)  

Oh really? I looked at a few sets like these that were recommended to me by someone on AVS Forum and they seemed to be pretty good. What should I look for exactly in a ceiling speaker?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YPS6T6?tag=vs-avsforum-convert-20

So I've got everything figured out now except I'm having second thoughts about the side surrounds. Basically I'm worried that in order to get them at the correct height/angle they're going to be too low and in the way of our walking path next to the couch. If they were high up like they are now this wouldn't be a problem, but since they're 13 inches deep and sticking out from the wall 5 inches that means they'll stick out 18 inches and at basically head height or 6 feet off the ground angled down they're simply going to be in the way.

So I've come up with 3 options.

1. Just wall mount the Klipsch RP-250s about 2 feet above ear height and they shouldn't get in the way.
2. I can just speaker stands above 1 foot above ear height, but they would have to be slightly in front of me, not directly to the side. From what I've read this is not ideal and doesn't make much sense.
3. Of course the last option would be to install In-Wall speakers, which wouldn't be fun, but it is possible.

The RP-250s option seems to be the easiest, but I'm wondering if this is a bad idea with an Atmos setup. I would really appreciate some help! Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently purchased some towers from klipsch. I used to have mine similar to your set up as well. I moved them further apart , pulled them out from the wall, and angled them in a bit. That helped tremendously with a fuller sound and better imaging as well. You should definitely take the above advice and do the same. 

• 4 weeks later...

It really comes down to what experience you want, if you want the full genuine Dolby ATMOS, it's best to go with their diagram specs. I literally fallowed it down to the degrees. For the 4 over head in ceiling for ATMOS, I did the 55° and 125°. The experience is mind blowing

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/7.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.pdf

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/9-1-2-setups.html