Help choosing phono cartridge

Harleywood

Wanting to upgrade from an Ortofon Blue and need some input from more experienced TT gurus. Thinking about this Audio Technica,

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/cartridges/1d03e057c2ad819c/index.html

or the Ortofon Black,

https://www.ortofon.com/ortofon-2m-black-p-329

Big price difference between the two for the same shibata stylus. The Audio Technica has a wider frequency response than the Ortofon. 20,000hz-27,000hz where the Black is 20,000hz-20,000hz.  What other differences should I be looking for? 

Will be installing in a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit paired with a Rotel RA-1570 integrated and Epic CF-2's. Which one would you recommend? 

Thanks!

Well if you can go up to the $699.00 price, the Lp gear the vessel R3Sm is the best for the buck. If your budget is a little lower try Audio Technicas VM740MI. These 2 were rated as best sounding under a grand. Be sure to have cartridge aligned professional, along with weight and balance. Just a little off affects sound, and will wipe out your records way ahead of normal.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Ortofon Black is a classic MM cart, well regarded and fine-soundiing.  You CANNOT tell how a cart sounds or performs just from the stylus shape or frequency response -- way too many factors that won't tell you a dam thing.  I have no information on the Ortofon Blue, but would expect a Black to sound outstanding.

I also have no familarity with your other equipment, so can't predict what any particular cart will sound like in someone's system,  However, my prediction is that the Black is so good in a neutral way that it will sound good in almost any combination.

This leads me to the point that I believe -- MY OPINION ONLY -- that quality in the earlier part of the sound chain will make a bigger difference than  improvements later on the chain, i.e., a cart will make a bigger difference for less money than a commensurate change in an amplifier or speaker.  Like I say, that's just my impression and my opinion.  Bottom line is that something as good as the Black will likely override issues with other components.  IMO, you can't equate having a shibata or more extended freq response with sound quality or price. 

• Like 3

On 11/1/2018 at 6:13 AM, Schu said:

If both use shibata and are MM, they are more alike than different. 6 of one half a dozen of the other...

Ive read that the shape of a Shibata will get more out of the groove. The blue I have is a nude elliptical and it sounds great but a little weak on the mid range even with the Epic CF-2's which are notorious for the hot horn. The only other option I've seen is a nude fine line. Conical I've read is not a good option. 

On 11/2/2018 at 11:37 PM, JohnA said:

https://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC01.html

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATOC9III-Phonograph-Cartridge/dp/B002T6NZM8

You will not regret going with moving coils.  The OC9s are higher output and can be used with more preamps. 

Right now I'm set up for mm only. Not in a position finacially to upgrade my phono pre to MC.  It's on the short list of upgrades to get but not possible at this time. Thanks. 

On 11/4/2018 at 12:20 PM, Moosee1955 said:

Well if you can go up to the $699.00 price, the Lp gear the vessel R3Sm is the best for the buck. If your budget is a little lower try Audio Technicas VM740MI. These 2 were rated as best sounding under a grand. Be sure to have cartridge aligned professional, along with weight and balance. Just a little off affects sound, and will wipe out your records way ahead of normal.

No doubt in making sure the cartridge is aligned properly. Damage to vinyl and sound quality are greatly affected by an improperly aligned cart. I'll research the R3SM. Thank you!

On 11/7/2018 at 7:00 PM, LarryC said:

The Ortofon Black is a classic MM cart, well regarded and fine-soundiing.  You CANNOT tell how a cart sounds or performs just from the stylus shape or frequency response -- way too many factors that won't tell you a dam thing.  I have no information on the Ortofon Blue, but would expect a Black to sound outstanding.

I also have no familarity with your other equipment, so can't predict what any particular cart will sound like in someone's system,  However, my prediction is that the Black is so good in a neutral way that it will sound good in almost any combination.

This leads me to the point that I believe -- MY OPINION ONLY -- that quality in the earlier part of the sound chain will make a bigger difference than  improvements later on the chain, i.e., a cart will make a bigger difference for less money than a commensurate change in an amplifier or speaker.  Like I say, that's just my impression and my opinion.  Bottom line is that something as good as the Black will likely override issues with other components.  IMO, you can't equate having a shibata or more extended freq response with sound quality or price. 

Great info! Thank you!