considering trying a tube amp

isotopesope

hello.  i am considering trying out a tube amp, just for the heck of it.  i don't know much about them and have never really heard one (beyond guitar amps) but the more I research the different architecture types, the more annoyed and confused I get.  hahaha  almost kidding?

i've pretty much narrowed it down to a stereo push/pull magnavox console amp.  is this a good place to begin?  i've found several modded/refurbished ones on that popular auction site that intrigue me.  most are around $200, which is about the most i would want to spend on what is only a morbid curiosity at this point.  the push/pull setups intrigue me a bit more than a SET amp, mainly due to having a bit more power and volume capabilities?  is that "true"?  though it seems many people say that SET is a special kind of magic... 

my current 2 channel setup: McIntosh MX-113 pretuner, McIntosh MC-752 power amp, and Forte III's.  the McIntosh fanboy in me wants one of their tube amps because duh, but i'm not willing to spend that kinda cheese at the moment. 

I listen to everything from jazz to country to classical to classic rock to indie rock to hip hop to heavy metal...  i listen to records 90% of the time.  overall, i really love my current setup and don't have any real complaints about it, but what might I expect switching to tube power?  how might it compare to my ultra clean sounding solid state amp?

would it be ridiculous to try a passive horizontal bi-amp setup, with a tube amp for the highs and the solid state amp for the lows? 

(yeah yeah active bi-amping with active crossovers is "best" blah blah blah)

I used to have the Mac Mc754 for awhile. Used it with Kef 102 monitors. Ok but not great. Tubes can be amazing or horrible, depending on how good the tubes are, the electronics, the match to the speakers. Like the rest said, don't expect miracles with an old tube setup of unknown condition. The tube will be smoother through mids and highs, but a drop in the punch of the bottom end. The ideal setup is bi-amping, the Mac for the bass, and the tubes for the upper end. Or you can add a clean subwoofer, which has always been my favorite. Fills in below 50 hz.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'd spend a bit more and get something with some heavier iron to avoid bass flab on those fortes.  Dynaco ST 35's can be had for around $500 serviced and are wonderful sounding amps.  Tubes for them are cheap and plentiful.   Fortes sound excellent on tubes as do most all Klipsch speakers in my experience.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:03 PM, isotopesope said:

hello.  i am considering trying out a tube amp, just for the heck of it.  i don't know much about them and have never really heard one (beyond guitar amps) but the more I research the different architecture types, the more annoyed and confused I get.  hahaha  almost kidding?

i've pretty much narrowed it down to a stereo push/pull magnavox console amp.  is this a good place to begin?  i've found several modded/refurbished ones on that popular auction site that intrigue me.  most are around $200, which is about the most i would want to spend on what is only a morbid curiosity at this point.  the push/pull setups intrigue me a bit more than a SET amp, mainly due to having a bit more power and volume capabilities?  is that "true"?  though it seems many people say that SET is a special kind of magic... 

my current 2 channel setup: McIntosh MX-113 pretuner, McIntosh MC-752 power amp, and Forte III's.  the McIntosh fanboy in me wants one of their tube amps because duh, but i'm not willing to spend that kinda cheese at the moment. 

I listen to everything from jazz to country to classical to classic rock to indie rock to hip hop to heavy metal...  i listen to records 90% of the time.  overall, i really love my current setup and don't have any real complaints about it, but what might I expect switching to tube power?  how might it compare to my ultra clean sounding solid state amp?

would it be ridiculous to try a passive horizontal bi-amp setup, with a tube amp for the highs and the solid state amp for the lows? 

(yeah yeah active bi-amping with active crossovers is "best" blah blah blah)

The Dynaco ST70 is a classic tube amp. A perfect match for your Forte III"s.  You can get it as a kit or assembled. You can easily sell it if you don't like it but....you won't want to.

Bob Latino ST70: http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Les Lammers said:

The Dynaco ST70 is a classic tube amp. A perfect match for your Forte III"s.  You can get it as a kit or assembled. You can easily sell it if you don't like it but....you won't want to.

Bob Latino ST70: http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm

hmmm, thanks!  looks intriguing. 

well, after realizing the clay waste line to my 120 year old house needs replaced and was quoted 1$3K for the job, i am holding off picking up any test tube babies until i can address this. 

granted, after I declared this to myself, a mega-McIntosh auction with MANY tube mono blocks has popped up here to taunt me:

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/timed/hamilton-group/catalogue-id-bsctheh10116/search-filter?archiveSearch=False&sortTerm=lowBid

also some Dynaco's, Fisher's, etc. 

Mcintosh resale is crazy.So are HK Citations tube stuff, obviously also the Marantz.If buying to use as a daily driver, HH Scott, Fisher, Eico ,Thousands of them were made.Unfortunately, getting harder to luck into this stuff.I recently rebuilt a Dynaco ST-70 that my wife bought me 25 yrs ago for 5 bucks.It sat on the shelf 25 years in disrepair until this year.Point is well meaning intentions are never realized and people like me will almost give something away if someone else can find some constructive use for an item.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:03 PM, isotopesope said:

hello.  i am considering trying out a tube amp, just for the heck of it.

Haha ... did the same thing about a year ago :D  Got a Bob Latino ST-70 with the "best" Russian tubes.  Was fun, but never got really impressed :(  Sold it about 3 months ago "here."  Just never got enough power and sound from it compared to my vintage Marantz 1060 and 2252B.  Yes; know 90% of people are really impressed by "tubes." Just wanted you to have "another" opinion.

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

You'll need a modern sub woofer for Hip Hop with any/all the Heritage line or a more recent Klipsch design that has a built-in powered sub that goes low enough in bass.

Wb.

I've requested exactly zero speaker recommendations.  You either can't read, arrogantly think your baseless opinion has any weight with me, or you're trying to sneak in some BS dog whistle dig.  Either way, welcome to my ignore list.  

13 hours ago, Emile said:

Haha ... did the same thing about a year ago :D  Got a Bob Latino ST-70 with the "best" Russian tubes.  Was fun, but never got really impressed :(  Sold it about 3 months ago "here."  Just never got enough power and sound from it compared to my vintage Marantz 1060 and 2252B.  Yes; know 90% of people are really impressed by "tubes." Just wanted you to have "another" opinion.

Cheers, Emile

thank you.  here in lies my exact reluctance to spend too much on what could be a fleeting whim.  i've graciously had a forum member offer to bring his SET amp over for me to hear, in exchange to audition my Forte's*. 

*you know, the speakers with a 12" woofer and 15" passive radiator that allegedly is poorly designed and "needs" a sub woofer, according to some expert who is an expert on his own opinion. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, isotopesope said:

i've graciously had a forum member offer to bring his SET amp over for me to hear, in exchange to audition my Forte's*. 

Perfect!  Would be very interested in your impression of the SET amp.  Although I've owned a bunch of tube and SS amps, I've never had a chance to put an SET into my system for comparison.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, isotopesope said:

thank you.  here in lies my exact reluctance to spend too much on what could be a fleeting whim.  i've graciously had a forum member offer to bring his SET amp over for me to hear, in exchange to audition my Forte's*. 

SE amps are my preferred amps on LaScalas, Belles and Klipschorns.

You can find SEP amps using the EL84 for reasonable prices.

Which SE amp will you be auditioning on your Fortes?