The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
jimjimbo

Oldtimer's hot sauces

I've had the pleasure of growing some of the peppers that OT has used in his fantastic hot sauces, and have tried just about every variety that he's made in the last couple of years.  I think the latest "Red Menace" and "Yellow Peril" are two of the best yet, particularly the Yellow.....just the right amount of heat, great combo of flavor from the ginger, garlic and lime juice.  Simply terrific!  Thank you @oldtimer

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I need to get me some! I keep reading about it here and all the reviews have been glowing. 

• Like 1

I have a variety and they're all awesome.  Better get more quick, pepper season is over here down south.

Oh, I might add, get a 3 pack or so. Once your tongue gets acclimated, they go fast and you will want to put it on everything.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

particularly the Yellow.....just the right amount of heat

@oldtimer Put me down for a couple of lg bottles of this if there are any left. Gotta admit some of the hotter ones are a little much for me,  but the green stuff has been perfect! {Edit: Let me know if there are some like the green that's not as hot.}

• Like 1

I agree, Jim. Just right on the heat. I've been making Hab pepper sauce for 20 years, and I prefer the 7 pot flavor.

SSH

Got some "Red Manace" and "Yellow Peril" a couple of months ago.  Awesome! Thanks @oldtimer :D 

Haha ... and thanks @jimjimbo for growing some of these peppers :) 

how can i get some of this, i'm just a tabasco kind of guy

Wellllllllll, just get next to @oldtimer and he'll take care of you I'm sure!  It's Grrrrrrrrrrrr eat!!!  I just throw it on some chips and GO!  Addictive as all get out though so load up!   :)

13 minutes ago, Budman said:

how can i get some of this, i'm just a tabasco kind of guy

• Like 1

The red menace is courtesy of Max2's prolific ghost pepper plants.  I have some yellow peril made, and can ship after thanksgiving.  I will go ahead and make more red menace if there is demand.  In the meantime it is possible I will concoct another recipe with what I have available, and will announce as available.  @7heavenlyplacesyour order is ready to ship anytime, let me know what's up.  If anyone is interested PM me for details.  Thanks for the reviews, all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ssh said:

I agree, Jim. Just right on the heat. I've been making Hab pepper sauce for 20 years, and I prefer the 7 pot flavor.

SSH

Steve, you should grow some of the Yellow 7 pot plants next spring/summer.  They are quite prolific and nice looking as well.  And guess what....Shelly did some pickled green beans this year with a variety of spicy peppers, including the Yellow.....I'll be bringing a bunch to Hope.

• Like 1

They have a great flavor.  Fruitier than a habanero, with roughly the same heat.  The chocolate habaneros were really amazing in that way.  If you can grow the 7 pot I recommend it.  For me it is a great discovery.

I started eating very hot peppers and my right hip started being ornery. Just wondering how much Hab hot heat hips can handle.

JJK

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

I started eating very hot peppers and my right hip started being ornery. Just wondering how much Hab hot heat hips can handle.

JJK

Actually, capsaicin is a natural pain killer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Coincidence.

Wait--My left hip is bothering me and it didn't happen until I had the green stuff. 😗

I got some 7 Pot seeds, Jim. The beans should be killer-good.

SSH

I grew the brown Jolokias next to some Carolina Reapers this year and just like the Amish farmer who used to raise some for me I had crossbreeding problems. Keep those two separated by some distance if you want consistent results.

On 11/1/2018 at 1:50 PM, Max2 said:

... I might add, get a 3 pack or so. Once your tongue gets acclimated, they go fast and you will want to put it on everything.

I wouldn’t have thought this to be true, but it is. I’ve already gone through a bottle of Menace, and I’m the only one using it.

I also feel better physically, which seems odd to me, but pretty noticeable. 

The Peril is good too, but I prefer it with chicken, we do mostly beef over here.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, oldtimer said:

They have a great flavor.  Fruitier than a habanero, with roughly the same heat.  The chocolate habaneros were really amazing in that way.  If you can grow the 7 pot I recommend it.  For me it is a great discovery.

Those chocolate Hab's were the largest hot peppers I've ever grown.

20180610_164903.jpg

• Like 3