Speaker cables for Cornwall III?

Northman

Whatever cables you end up using,  I'd like to hear your opinions about the sound of that combo.  I thought the bass with my AS-1000 was too relaxed, but that was with LaScala's, and I don't know if they are voiced similarly. There were facets that I loved about the Yamaha more than any other amp I've had though, and the build quality is excellent.   I've wanted to get a set of Cornwall-III's for a long time, but the opportunity hasn't been there to get a deal locally.  

That speaker/amp combo would be on my list of consideration if I were buying a new setup.  

44 minutes ago, Hasty said:

Whatever cables you end up using,  I'd like to hear your opinions about the sound of that combo.  I thought the bass with my AS-1000 was too relaxed, but that was with LaScala's, and I don't know if they are voiced similarly. There were facets that I loved about the Yamaha more than any other amp I've had though, and the build quality is excellent.   I've wanted to get a set of Cornwall-III's for a long time, but the opportunity hasn't been there to get a deal locally.  

That speaker/amp combo would be on my list of consideration if I were buying a new setup.  

I was not really sure about the bass drive of the A-S1000 because from the beginning I used a sub with my RB-75s.  On a whim one morning when my wife and son were gone for the day, I moved my A-S1000 to my large family room and hooked that baby up to my pair of RF-63s and was shocked how well the Yamaha made them thump.  Big room, hard surfaces and the bass was clean and tight and audible.  Maybe a bass reflex speaker jives better with the A-S1000 than a fully horn loaded pair that bottoms out at 50Hz or so.  Not sure.:unsure:

Bill

11 hours ago, Schu said:

To bad... you just missed out on a pair of 300$ silver speaker wires in the garage sale section.

Sarc or do you have the list of shrillness index for various metals?

On a serious note now.........

I prefer Platinum speaker wire only the correct term is Audiophonic Master Conductor. The AMC is the very best because of it's specific gravity and resultant reduction of voids between atoms. Science has now proven that everything has weight and space and this includes electrons. Platinum resists the puddling of electrons where ever there is a dip in your conductors and they drift to your lowest point. With the specific gravity so high Platinum has less room for electron puddling. Have you ever heard a thump or pop when you turn your amp on? What causes this is the normal flow of electrons from your amp + puddled electrons accumulated in the low points of your speaker wires joining together and causing a temporary surge. AMC will basically eliminate this and just in case in long runs make sure to keep the speaker wire dead level so things can't pile up or at a slight drop so it all drains off into your drivers as you shut down.

• Haha 1

Quite a few years ago, i wanted to try out some speaker wire for fun and experimentation. Went searching at Accessories4less and saw some wire from a company called Ixos.     A Close out price of 80% off, spent 25 bucks or so for 30 feet, 12 gauge, In purple and also Twisted, sounded good to me.  Not going to make any claims one way or another, but from a practical perspective, I have two separate amps and using different wire for each, makes it visually simple as to what I have hooked up, in case I forgot what I was doing the night before.   Banana plugs for easy swapping.

5 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Well I will way this about speaker cables.

There are differences.

Never said there wasn't.  

If you are a casual listener and don't really care, that's ok.

I'm not, and I do.

If you aren't experienced enough to know what to listen for, that's ok.

I forgot, you are more experienced than most on this forum, according to you.

If your system isn't resolving enough to perceive the differences, that's ok.

It is, but yours must be better, according to you.

If you can hear the difference, but it's not worth the extra $$, that's ok. (This is the most likely scenario)

You can spend your money however you like.

If any of the above applies to you MR. JIMBO, or anyone else here, just revel in the extra money in your pocket that zip cord affords you. And keep in mind, all amps sound the same too, so Best Buy is your friend.............

Rude, but then, that's not surprising, cause, it's according to you.

Shakey

6 hours ago, richieb said:

=== I’ve gone with the “thin is in” philosophy. I’ve found some true Mil-Spec solid copper, not stranded, that is thin enough not be stripped with a 20 gauge wire stripper. I make a double run for each - + piece. Sounds every bit as good, and I think with a bit more shimmer to the highs than the best Belden, the aforementioned Kimber and upper end Audioquest. No terminations on either end. I see no reason to use an all copper wire than attach a gold plated brass banana or spade. I’m using this to wire the Jube networks one to the other and from the network to the Faital driver. Also for IC’s. 

Used to use solid core speaker cables also. Even with high efficiency speakers I never tried anything smaller than 18 ga. Meniscus used to sell a blue and white solid core twisted pair they said came from Straightwire. Was around 80 cents a foot. Claimed it was 16 ga. Looked smaller. Might have the thin polyethylene insulation.

Ran out many years ago. Wish I still had a spool, good stuff.

Solid core is perfect for bare wire connections too. I tin stranded wire lightly to allow feeding through the small hole in 5 way binding posts. At least repeated connections. 

Used spade lugs, bananas, and Speakon. Like Speakon even better than bare wire and 5 ways. Rate bananas the least. Many love them, tried to like them. Standard, locking bananas, and even the Eichmann. The most expensive were the least reliable from my use. Was using a Croft OTL that only had banana jacks because Glenn Croft only likes bananas. At least locking banana plugs did not fall out. 

I like heavy gauge copper.  I use banana plugs for convenience.  While contact area where the wire is clamped is important to the resistance of the "system", there is not a significant difference between the contact area of the clamp in a binding post and a banana plug.  Ya pay a little more for convenience. 

I actually run 11 ga braided CAT5e on the front 3.  But I miserably failed a  blind (ABX) test in Indy between braided CAT5 and some nasty looking test lead wire,  to the apparent delight of some Klipsch engineers.  Teflon insulated CAT5 when braided exhibits very low capacitance and inductance and using many strands lowers resistance making for a speaker cable with great measurements, but not so audible results.  And they are a Huuge pain to build. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Never said there wasn't.  

I'm not, and I do.

I forgot, you are more experienced than most on this forum, according to you.

It is, but yours must be better, according to you.

You can spend your money however you like.

Rude, but then, that's not surprising, cause, it's according to you.

You are very good at making assumptions, neigh downright falsehoods.

CNN has a position tailor made for you........

Shakey

15 hours ago, Panelhead said:

Like Speakon even better

I have Speakon connectors on some of my subwoofers. It would be nice if all my speaker wire connectors were Speakon, but almost all my Klipsch speakers have banana jacks and all my home audio receivers and power amplifiers have banana jacks. I use banana plugs for those connections.

11 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Should speaker wire be occasionally replaced? Say after ten years or so, or does it make any difference?

Most speaker wire will be good for decades. If the insulation degrades and cracks, or if the insulation causes a chemical reaction with the wire, turning the copper wire green, then it should be replaced.

9 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Most speaker wire will be good for decades. If the insulation degrades and cracks, or if the insulation causes a chemical reaction with the wire, turning the copper wire green, then it should be replaced.

I’ll take a look this weekend. My wire going to the surrounds is new-ish (3 years), the wire going to mains is at least 15 years old. It is the flat type which is ideal for running under an area rug.