Speaker cables for Cornwall III?

Northman

Wow 61 posts and counting. If the op wasn't confused before, his head probably looks like Linda Blair's from exorcist now. I've tried so many different Rca interconnects on my old Yamaha preamp years back, I broke the connection. My 2 favorites way back then we're Monster 500, and Kimber cable blue. I think each was around $50.00 to $70.00. About $100.00 to $150.00 in today's price. As far as speaker wire don't go crazy. Try some used ones from your local high end stereo boutique, they always have at least 4 or 5 sets to try out. Make sure you can bring them back. I go with the guys here that say leave copper ends copper, no terminal ending, unless they already have been. Keep in mind, you'll need to listen to each set for 2 days or more. Your new speakers won't sound their best for at least 50-100 hours. You might want to wait on any wire investment till then. You know nobody here ever made the comment what did PWK use for speaker wire during 50's through 70's on his heritage line of speaker's. I'm betting he said speaker wire didn't make much audible difference. A quality 1 watt amp was what made the biggest diff.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I'm still wondering how my comment about using bare wire connections meant that I don't think there's any difference in speaker wire. 🤔

I'll bite,  I'll agree that the connection is more of a convenience item. 

13 hours ago, Moosee1955 said:

You know nobody here ever made the comment what did PWK use for speaker wire during 50's through 70's on his heritage line of speaker's. I'm betting he said speaker wire didn't make much audible difference. A quality 1 watt amp was what made the biggest diff.

I'll bet he supported the use of ordinary 16 or 14 gauge stranded wire, except for very long runs.

STEREO REVIEW (Greenhill) did a test of several types of wire, including various kinds of audiophile speaker wire under "open" and "closed" conditions.  In the "open" condition listeners knew what cable was playing, and they "heard" differences.  In the "closed" condition they didn't know which wire was playing, and there were no statistically significant differences, except in one instance in which the ultra-cheep, thin, relatively high resistance Radio Shack "speaker wire" of the time, meant to be easy to string through attics and basements, got higher listener ratings!  (Do not take this to heart!)

I highly recommend this comprehensive article from McIntosh on the history of speaker wire: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

O.K., I admit I use 12 AWG low resistance, low capacitance speaker wire my dealer said was "Better than Kimber Kable."  It was not expensive, or I would be spending even more money getting my head examined. 

=== I just found some speak cables employing “Multiple Tunneling Technology” guaranteed to dig deep. They left out digging deep into your pockets. But not that bad for Tru Audiofool pricing though - $900 for 8ft./pair. So, I need 13-15 feet per side — this is going to hurt - 

19 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== I just found some speak cables employing “Multiple Tunneling Technology” guaranteed to dig deep. They left out digging deep into your pockets. But not that bad for Tru Audiofool pricing though - $900 for 8ft./pair. So, I need 13-15 feet per side — this is going to hurt - 

For the cost of shipping try a 30’ hunk of the Canare S11. Maybe it will run 40 dollars from Have Inc. plus your connectors of choice. Do not know if it offers electron tunneling though. If used as a 2 wire cable it does resist RFI. 

You could use the S6 with Jubes. 30’ of that is 10.00. 

I remember when Monster Cable first hit the scene here in Daly City, we had a car stereo shop that had a display with a big throw switch like the one used in a Frankenstein movie, albeit a little smaller. When you listened to the car deck playing, then threw the switch to the monster cable side of heavy cable, their was an audible difference. Don't know if maybe they had a small amp that kicked in, but I surely heard a boosted better sound. Every receiver/amp preamp is going to react a little different to every cable. On a duller sounding unit, a brighter Rca interconnect, or speaker wire will change the sound slightly. Opposite for an overly bright speaker, certain cables will tame it down slightly. These changes are slight though, and won't make up for a shrilly tweeter, or an overly dull sound from electronics. Just what I've found [emoji205] around with this stuff the past 50 years.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

So much fun on these threads ... we just had one that started with speakers = 99.9% of SQ, so all other components = 0.1% and lets say that is spread evenly so maybe 0.01% to 0.02% for speaker cable depending on number of components.  I've made my cables from 10,  and 12 AWG.  But most fun is taking CAT5/6 cable and making your own twisted pair set.  You need patience.  You need really good teeth or an infinitely adjustable cable cutter/trimmer.  She who must be obeyed, will stare at you and point and laugh.  Once again, with significant bias, I think they sound better on my Heresy, but not on my Martin Logan Clarity speakers.  The ML's like the 10 AWG.  At least that's what my not DBT, eyes aware, biased opinion is.  Re. connectors ... I've posted before that I like angled banana plugs that are stackable, but as @wuzzzer says, don't use any if you are not moving things around.  Unfortunately, I play around too much so like the ease of use of the banana plugs.  Good luck to the OP, don't spend too much even if you think you can hear the difference ... put it into the speakers!