Looking for good speaker set up no subwoofer

Kman

Basically looking to set up a good moderate two channel system ( already have a multichannel set up).

Mostly cd/sacd playing. haven't picked out a cd player yet. but was looking to run the speakers with a Yamaha A-S801.

For speakers I was thinking Forte III or maybe RF7 III. If not I also have a pair of RP-280F in my movie room I was thinking of using instead. any thoughts? thanks

Basically looking to set up a good moderate two channel system ( already have a multichannel set up).
Mostly cd/sacd playing. haven't picked out a cd player yet. but was looking to run the speakers with a Yamaha A-S801.
For speakers I was thinking Forte III or maybe RF7 III. If not I also have a pair of RP-280F in my movie room I was thinking of using instead. any thoughts? thanks

I would go with the Forte III.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have an older 970 OPPO I may use for this. I also have the 103 I have been using for multichannel music.  the room is not that big, thinking the RF's or the RP280's might have the advantage  since they are at ear level-higher than the forte's. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnA said:

Forte III over RF-7 after hearing both side by side.

yes I may be leaning that way. I was thinking of saving a few bucks and replacing the RP280F set up in the home theater with RF7III set up and putting the RP280 in the two channel setup. So basically it really comes down to the forte vs RP280. If not then will have to sell off the RP280 and center and pick up the forte's. decisions, decisions......

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:
1 hour ago, mr clean said:

I use rp280f speakers and love them for two channel. Not much love for them here. I use a loki eq to fine tune.  Fortes better  I guess but try the 280s first.

no love for RP280's? Interesting. I think they sound fine in the home theater setup for movies and concert videos. I have a smaller multi channel set up I use for music only with rp250's all around and they sound great I think with blu-ray audio and sacds. I have played the RP250f's in two channel also with sub. although it sounded good it was not quite at the level I wanted. looking for more impact in two channel and without using a sub. I used to own chorus and klf30's and used them in two channel so somewhere along those lines I am used to. I would think the rp280s would be close the klf30s, though not as bright. of course heard good things with forte III musically. 

I find it hard to believe that the RP280Fs do not perform well for stereo music.  I think the RF-82s are very respectable with 2-channel music and understand that the RP280Fs are a design improvement.

With the right amplification in the right space I bet the RPs can seriously hold their own against many contenders.

Bill

40 minutes ago, Kman said:

no love for RP280's? Interesting. I think they sound fine in the home theater setup for movies and concert videos. I have a smaller multi channel set up I use for music only with rp250's all around and they sound great I think with blu-ray audio and sacds. I have played the RP250f's in two channel also with sub. although it sounded good it was not quite at the level I wanted. looking for more impact in two channel and without using a sub. I used to own chorus and klf30's and used them in two channel so somewhere along those lines I am used to. I would think the rp280s would be close the klf30s, though not as bright. of course heard good things with forte III musically. 

When I say here I don't mean me. It seems like when these are mentioned by someone people usually try sway them to a different model. Im sure there are much better out there but I love mine.

4 hours ago, willland said:

I find it hard to believe that the RP280Fs do not perform well for stereo music.  I think the RF-82s are very respectable with 2-channel music and understand that the RP280Fs are a design improvement.

With the right amplification in the right space I bet the RPs can seriously hold their own against many contenders.

Bill

I would think so- I mean they rock for movies and have handled everything I throw at them movie watching. Of course I am running them small  in a 7.2.4 set up, with dual subs. but still they are not a small speaker and with dual 8" woofers would think they should provide enough bass in two channel. Of course it would be cool to have some forte III's too. Like i said, never an easy decision in this expensive hobby we have. 

Seems to me the biggest thing to consider is the size of the room and where you'll be able to place the speakers. 

The obvious choice would be Khorns. If that isn't an option RF-83's, RF-7, forte, Chorus, Cornwalls or KLF-30's would all be respectable candidates. Palladiums, should one have the means would be a very worthy consideration.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I did end up with the Forte III's ( thanks Cory). Hooked up to Yamaha A-S801. no subwoofer. Using Oppo 103 for SACD and CD playback. I was contemplating a turntable since I recently acquired a few hundred Albums ( mostly 1970s to mid 80's in excellent condition). Although not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole just yet.

Not sure if there is any break in period for these speakers but out of the box they sound great. very nice imaging and balance in the soundstage. Some discs are compressed a bit more than others and found the loudness control of the yamaha can tweak this comfortably to back it off.  still moving them around a bit in my small room ( home office). so haven't decided on a permanent placement yet for the speakers. But so far I am very happy with what I am hearing. very life-like vocally. 

I do not plan in using these with a subwoofer and it seems from what I have heard so far I may not need too. But it depends on the source. Noticed some discs are more bass heavy than others. Played the new 50th ANNV. white album and it was just perfect. 

I know some mentioned the cornwalls but I think they might be a bit too much for my room, I'm sure they sound great but I think the forte III's are plenty for my needs. Besides not sure I want to lug the cornwall's up two flights of stairs!.

Haven't had to turn the volume up  barely over a quarter the way. doesn't take much with these speakers, thats for sure.  I wanted a nice simple good sounding two channel set up and I think I found it. Still a big fan of multichannel music but now I have the best of both I think.  

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

F4.jpg

F3.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kman said:

Well I did end up with the Forte III's ( thanks Cory). Hooked up to Yamaha A-S801. no subwoofer. Using Oppo 103 for SACD and CD playback. I was contemplating a turntable since I recently acquired a few hundred Albums ( mostly 1970s to mid 80's in excellent condition). Although not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole just yet

Turntables will be awaiting you...nice system B)