Center Channel with Forte III

svaraj

All

Need some some recommendations on the center channel.

I am no audiophile but have been listening and enjoy listening to Klipsch speakers for years, with a mix of music and movies.

Recently I upgraded my RB series Front left and right speakers in a 5.1.2 atmos setup to Forte III speakers while center is still an old RC 52II.

The rest the 5.1.2 setup is as follows...

I have an R-12SW as a sub and four ceiling mounted CDT-5650CII in wall speakers for the four rear and surround speakers.

They are all hooked up to do  a Denon  x3400h receiver.

I would like to get some advice on upgrading the center channel from the current RC 52II but woudl also want to pair it well with my Forte III's and rest of the setup

I was thinking RP 440C or 450C ?

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Svaraj

Edited by svaraj

Most people get the RC-64III since at least the veneer can potentially match better.  I've been asking for a heritage horizontal center channel.  I realize it's "heresy" to some people but it's not like it would be the first time that such a thing was said.  

I am size limited due to having to wall mount.  I've had a Martin Logan Motion 8  for the last couple of years and love it. I know folded tweeter matched with horns is blasphemy but it works for me.  I have Forte III for L and R and everything blends flawlessly with Marantz SR7012 and audysee 

My speakers are 11 ft apart, since I have these in a large home theater setup in my basement with the projector screen between them.

Do not have a third forte but if did have one I would have to place it horizontally to fit my setup which I believe is not an option

Please the picture. I sit about 12ft from these speakers

The RC 64III is still hovering around $1500. I may eye for the RC 64II during this blackfriday season, since this may drop in price.

Is the RP 440C or 450C  not a good option ?

IMG_3569.jpg

Edited by svaraj

4 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

How far apart are your fortes?  Where do you sit in relation to them?  Can you use a third forte III as a center?

Going with no center speaker is better than going with a mismatched one.

Going with no center in a HT is not an option for true HT. Phantom center, even with forte iii as mains still pales compared to having even a moderate mismatched center speaker.

On my stupid phone at lunch so unable to provide a direct link, but am sure there's a "pro" model that's all but the forte iii and has a rotatable horn(s) panel for horizontal positioning.  Same horns/drivers I think, but is front-firing bass reflex.

KI-362-SMA-II

Edited by glens

I have F3's and the RC64iii. It's been working pretty well, but to me it seems very very massive and heavy. Before the RC-64iii, I tried some I had around that yes, are mismatched but to me worked well enough -- maybe not quite as good as the RC-64iii, but the price was right on the others. KV-2 and KG2.2, while not perfect matches seemed pragmatic enough for me (I preferred the KG2.2 over the KV-2), but i do have a smaller room. The RC-64iii pairs well in my experience with the F3 and would be a decent choice.

You may want to look at the depth of the RC-64iii also and consider that. It's an extra couple of inches deeper than the F3, and due to the weight, you'd either likely have to get a beefier wall shelf, or more ideally, a stand to put it on due to its weight.

• Like 1

@svaraj I have Forte III also. When I got them, I had a 450C. I felt that was lacking. Got ahold of @MetropolisLakeOutfitters and he suggested the RC-64II. It was a big difference from the 450C.  I realize it's probably not the perfect match, but I have no complaints. 

The RC-64 fits in my setup. I'm happy with it.  I also have an RC-62II in my other setup. It is stronger than the 450C for a center. Much clearer dialogue for movies with the 64II being top for what I've listened to.

Looking at your picture, I would think a Heresy III would fit your setup and probably be the best option. Call around, you should be able to pick a new one up for a good price.

• Like 2

Similar question, with a small twist, for my pending setup.

I'm about to pull the trigger on L/R Forte III speakers for my new HT, and trying to figure out what to do for my center. I don't have the screen or room space of the OP (77" OLED TV), but am getting a media center (https://www.birchlane.com/furniture/pdp/belen-tv-stand-for-tvs-up-to-70-grck1897.html?piid=30970361) which has an unusually large center cabinet with more than enough space for a Heresy III to fit in the middle (with doors open, of course).

The Heresy III would also fit in either of those side cabinets, but with only about 1/2 inch of room on the sides and would have to play through that door iron weave. However, this would free up the center space in the cabinet for the A/V receiver and other large items which need room.

My other choice is as noted above, to abort the vertical speaker and go with an RC-64II on the top of the media center. However, more expensive and I'm not sure would sound (and match) better than the Heresy III.

SO, choices:

1- Go RC-64II on top.  Good - Cabinet space preserved.  Bad(?) - Does it sound good enough to hold up to the Forte IIIs, and worth the ~50% increase in price vs Heresy?

2 - Go Heresy III in center cabinet.   Good - Should match Fortes quite well, is centered nicely.    Bad - Huge space waste for media center, will vibrations or other distortions happen? Is it a problem to have the center speaker that 'low', knowing the Heresy III has a built-in upward toe?

3 - Go Heresy III in either L/R cabinets.   Good - As above, plus reclaim the center cabinet space.    Bad - Will a slightly off-center center sound weird? It will be close to one of the Fortes (probably 12-18 inches), but I think the Heresy imaging is wide and maybe can tolerate ~2 feet off center axis? Same question on vibrations/distortions.

4 - Go Academy on top.   Good - Lots of internet suggestions that it's a good timber/quality match   Bad - Won't look as modern as new Fortes, looking at specs still seems to not be as good of a match as a Heresy III, and where do I buy a used one with confidence?

5 - Bag the whole dedicated center thing and use the Fortes as a phantom center.  Good - Cheap.   Bad(?) - Will a 2 x 4 row seating arrangement (roughly 8 and 12 feet) get reasonable imaging? The Forte III imaging to my ear was amazingly wide, so perhaps....   I realize at least 1 post above strongly advises against this.

Hope this isn't considered a thread hijack. My considerations are close enough to the OP that I thought we could both benefit from common advice. 

Thanks!

Edited by scabbers
More detail

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...