Advice for Beginners....

ODS123

9 hours ago, ODS123 said:

Years ago I bought a Monster power conditioner to protect my expensive Bryston amp. Eagerly, I pulled the plug of the Bryston amp from the wall, and plugged it into the Monster.

Though I had long been very skeptical about the benefits of power conditioning I couldn’t help but wonder if I would hear a change.  To put it mildly, I was amazed by what I heard.  My amp sounded better in ways I couldn't quite articulate. The sound was smoother, cleaner and just more "right".  ..Just to make sure I wasn't imagining things, I switched back and fourth a couple times.  Yep, there was no mistaking it.  I decided to go back one last time, so I unplugged the amp.  ..And before plugging it back into the wall I was pulled away to do help my wife with something.  Returning to it, I decided to first switch on the TV to see how my man Federer was doing during the Wimbledon finals. I hit the TV power button and..... nothing.  Huh?? ..I tried again....  nothing.

Turns out, during the whole exercise..I wasn't switching the Bryston's power cord back and forth b/w the wall outlet and the Monster strip, I was switching the TV's.

You scientifically proved that your power amp sounds better when the is TV is plugged into the Monster Power conditioner.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

You scientifically proved that your power amp sounds better when the is TV is plugged into the Monster Power conditioner.

That or maybe I proved my system sounds better when Roger Federer is in a Wimbledon final, or that it sounds better on Sundays, or when my wife if moving furniture in a nearby room,  :)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Don't believe so.

The Paragon preamps were manufactured back in the late 1970s - early 1980s.

The company may have just been Paragon?

I'll have to research further (actual magazines) and find the orininal reviews.

Please do. I couldn't find anything on him but did try to follow his logic on the forum for about 15 years before he chose to leave.  He's a smart guy but definitely not a source I would trust on how humans hear things. His article was well written but am curious where it was first submitted? Was that a paper he wrote for a periodical? 

57 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

His article was well written but am curious where it was first submitted? Was that a paper he wrote for a periodical

I do not know the answer to either question.

If I can find the original reviews of the Paragon 12A and Paragon E preamps, I hope to see how that Paragon company was named.

43 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

I do not know the answer to either question.

If I can find the original reviews of the Paragon 12A and Paragon E preamps, I hope to see how that Paragon company was named.

I searched and found those reviews (google Juicymusic Audio) but not where the article that Dean posted came from. If that is something both were using for Advertising purposes I can dig it,  but it seems more like an Opinion piece instead of a scientific study. Btw, I also have no doubt he designed some pretty cool tube amps.

11 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Don't believe so.

The Paragon preamps were manufactured back in the late 1970s - early 1980s.

The company may have just been Paragon?

I'll have to research further (actual magazines) and find the original reviews.

"As Mark Deneen, the owner of Juicy Music, said to me in an email: "1974 was a loooong time ago." That is when Mark Deneen formed a small company, Paragon Audio in San Carlos/California and came to market with a new tube preamplifier based on a design licensed from Bruce Moore. This must have taken considerable courage at the time since tube equipment was fast disappearing and the only company still really serious about it then was the formidable Audio Research. Despite these odds, Paragon sold about 400 Paragon 12 preamps and 250 System E preamps."

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/juicymusic/blueberry.html

3 minutes ago, ssh said:

Several of us on the forum use Mark's gear. My Khorns are usually powered with a Peach pre and a pCAT amp. The first time I saw Dean, at Dee's, he was soldering on a Peach backplate. 

SSH

I had a Paragon E and (stupidly) sold it.

VERY good sounding preamp.

Just my opinion. :)

1 hour ago, Deang said:

What? The subject of what sounds good? Right, I'm sure Mark is completely out of his sphere of knowledge and experience on that one, lol.

I'm not arguing that at all. I was just pointing out that both you and he have a vested interest into not putting faith into double-blind testing. So much so you both put it in prominent place on your company's webpages and are still posting his thoughts today. I've followed these discussions for years and learned a lot from both you and Mark,  and comment where I see caution should be considered--You guys are legends and deservedly so. :) 

40 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I was just pointing out that both you and he have a vested interest into not putting faith into double-blind testing. So much so you both put it in prominent place on your company's webpages and are still posting his thoughts today.

The words were from an old forum thread. I asked Mark if I could use them on my website. Mark never had anything related to the topic on his site.

What “vested interest”? I thought DBT was BS before I joined this forum, and certainly before I started building networks. 

Objectivists are such hypocrites. If they really believed what what they claimed, they’d be using $500 receivers and $50 players from Walmart. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Deang said:

The words were from an old forum thread. I asked Mark if I could use them on my website. Mark never had anything related to the topic on his site.

I stand corrected. My point was that  it was an opinion and not published or peer reviewed. Given this thread is entitled "advice for beginners,"  and I really don't wish to pursue it any further except to say beginners shouldn't feel they need an external amp to drive their speakers based on who has the most "likes."  People who follow these forums usually have no problem spending other people's money.