Low Sound

Tmac

I purchased 2 CA-800T. I was told they can be hooked up just like speakers. I am replacing a set of 8 inch speakers

with the CA-800T's. I noticed there are 2 positive and negative terminals on each speaker. Nothing in the directions

or online tell you which set to use. There is little to no volume and one of the speakers are louder than the other, even though they are both not very loud. 

I am using a Yamaha RX-671 receiver to drive them. So from the receiver I go into a Niles switch box, from the switch box to a volume control, and from the volume 

control to the speakers. I am sure its user error but I was expecting something like I had, a speaker with a positive and negative terminal, attach the wires and there is sound. 

The system is currently set up to hook up a left and a right speaker. But when hooking up the CA-800T speakers the volume is extremely low and even lower in the right speaker vs the left. 

What could be the problem? 

Thanks

14 hours ago, Tmac said:

I am using a Yamaha RX-671 receiver to drive them. So from the receiver I go into a Niles switch box, from the switch box to a volume control, and from the volume 

control to the speakers.

For testing purposes, can you connect the speakers with wires directly to the receiver. 

Since I am not using the home theater part of the Yamaha Receiver, I have them hooked up to the front left and right. Is this the best outputs to hook up to. I do have the receiver hooked up to a TV but for simple audio around the pool and when we watch TV outside, the sound goes thru the speakers. So I cannot use zone 2 due to it will not process a digital signal resulting in no audio when streaming netflix etc. So I picked the front left and right to hook up the two CA-800T speakers. Just like i did with my other set of speakers. 

2 connections on each raw driver, that's a dual voice coil. Why not get out your volt/ohm meter and check between pos, and neg on both terminals, starting with woofer. See what your ohm readings are! Do you have two sets of binding posts on outside of cabinet? Sounds like this speaker was designed to be bi-amped. I had a 12 inch woofer in my home built cabinet for my car stereo. I only used one set of the 2 sets. Try eliminating the switch box first. If the amp plays ok with other speakers it's got to be a speaker cross over connection, or driver itself. Try powering one channel of woofer direct to terminals using jumpers. Your going to have to eliminate each driver/crossover, to find culprit. My guess is you've got a capacitor or 2 that's dead or leaking

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

I ran a direct wire from the receiver to the speaker that is extremely low re volume, same issue. I tried both sets of terminals same result. Hmmm. The other speaker has more volume but not as much as normal, maybe 75% of what the other speakers I have hooked up prior. Makes no sense to me. 

From the Klipsch website, not sure if you have this handout...

CommercialAllWeatherManualRev2012.pdf

Edit - just glanced at the on line manual for your receiver, it was a 120+ pages total (5 or so + pages for the speaker's) - but it looks like you need to get into your remote and set it for 2.1 (two speakers and a sub) - whereas, it might be on 7.1 or somewhere else, good luck for sure, but that's about all I can offer.... or search the Klipsch forum from the box at the top of this page... looks like @Youthman ran into this situation last year, but their topic discussion turned into a speaker box (A-B) thing….

If you ran a direct speaker wire to the raw woofer and low sound was achieved, what else is their to say, it is burnt out, or almost burnt out. It sounds more and more, like the previous owner abused your speaker. I overdrived a small set of mini monitors one New year's Eve. They still played but never sounded right after that. They weren't worth fixing, so I deep sixed them by March.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Tmac said:

I ran a direct wire from the receiver to the speaker that is extremely low re volume, same issue. I tried both sets of terminals same result.

Try turning the switch to other settings and then back into the bypass position to make sure it engages. If your low volume condition persists, then you may need to exchange your speakers. The two positive terminals are connected together and the same with the two negative terminals, for hooking up wires for a daisy chain of these speakers when operating a 70 Volt system.

Thanks. Why when I click the selector switch from bypass to the other V option the sound got louder and louder I dont understand why these have a selection of different voltages vs bypass. I am not technical enough. Thoughts

t\

• 3 years later...

I just purchased a pair of these speakers. I am having the same issue that you started with. I have done everything under the sun. Two different receivers that work with other speakers normal. Switch all settings on the back. Nothing seems to work. Both speakers are doing the exact same thing. Also I get no sound out of the tweeters only the woofer. I’m stumped. Don’t know where to go from here. Any help please!

Edited by Tompkins27