Change of plans. In need of recommendations

Liftenw8ts

Well my whole ground up dedicated theatre room plans were cancelled due to the amount of  time I will be living here. ( Wife and I plan on moving to The Smokey Mountains when I retire here in 6 years )  Plus the impact on the aesthetics of the back of the house and the impact on resale verses investment was going to be a big time loss to us.  Then I decided to do the home theatre thing in the front family room and it turned into a lengthy discussion ( almost a full blown argument with the wife over what could go where and how things would look ) So I threw in the towel and have decided to do the theatre room down in the basement. Here is the size of the room in the basement. 12 ft width 14 ft 7 length and 7 ft 3 height. Just purchased my front stage and sub from a fellow member on here ( S2WHEELS ) thanks for the great deal.

2 Klipsch RP-280F  Left and Right

Klipsch RP-450C     Center

1 Klipsch R-112SW    Subwoofer

What would be the best sides and rears that would work best with what i currently own and the size of the room I have?

Give the 7 ft 3 inch ceiling height would it be better to run ceiling speakers? and if so what size and series and how many 2 or 4? Or would it be better to run the elevation speakers?

Any input, advice, guidance or direction would be greatly appreciated.  David

I wouldn't install Atmos, but get a couple of good surround speakers and settle for 5.1. 

Well recorded soundtracks will sometimes provide a sense of up and down even without ceiling or elevation speakers.  An example would be the cataclysmic event about 15 minutes into The Grey.  We have only 5.1 and there was sound all over the place, including up and down!   This may depend on the surrounds being slightly higher than the front speakers, as ours are.  One of the Chesky test disks had an up and down test for 2 channel listeners!

If you must have Atmos, elevation speakers might be better.  Ceiling speakers will create a reflection off the floor, which is only 7 feet 3 inches away.  The sound will have to travel a bit farther before bouncing off the floor with elevation speakers (a good thing).   A thick rug can help minimize floor reflections, but won't eliminate them.

In any case, I'd put some absorption on the ceiling at the point at which the sound from the front speaker's midrange/treble horns bounces off the ceiling and lands at ear position at any of your seats.  People are divided on whether to put absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls -- "everyone" used to recommend it, but now there are dissenters.  I'd be tempted to cover the rear wall with both horizontal and vertical (or hemispherical ) diffusion to make the room sound bigger.  The only way to do that affordably is DIY.

"The impact on the aesthetics of the back of the house" might be negative or positive if you go back to your original plan and build a full blown HT.   Would you be displacing an area that is truly beautiful?  Some Realtors argue for catering to the esthetic lowest common denominator.  A really nice HT might increase the value of the house to certain buyers.  You only have to sell the house to ONE buyer, and if that buyer is the ONE ....   We had a small house with a small mix down studio in it that was acoustically treated and also had high transmission loss ("sound proofing").  In addition to the regular advertising channels, we put an add in MIX magazine and put up adds in the music department of the local college.  It sold very quickly for about $130,000 more than a house on the adjoining property that was twice as big, and more appealing by far.  The guy who bought it was a jazz musician.  But, peace in the family is paramount.☮️

18 hours ago, garyrc said:

I wouldn't install Atmos, but get a couple of good surround speakers and settle for 5.1. 

Well recorded soundtracks will sometimes provide a sense of up and down even without ceiling or elevation speakers.  An example would be the cataclysmic event about 15 minutes into The Grey.  We have only 5.1 and there was sound all over the place, including up and down!   This may depend on the surrounds being slightly higher than the front speakers, as ours are.  One of the Chesky test disks had an up and down test for 2 channel listeners!

I agree. I found IT to be very enveloping sound especially the beginning rain scene. Also, haunted hill house had amazing sound. The ghosts banging felt like it was coming from all over even above. I just have a 7.1 system, no atmos.