Filter for La Scala, again..

shaftish

Hi everyone,

I have a pair of La Scala with AL3 filter. I did a re cap and think they sound really good.

But...

I keep reading that sooo many recommend AA-filters.

What difference is there between my filter and AA, sonically.

I used Audophon, medium to low price caps.

Should I do anything or just keep enjoy my speakers as is?

From what I've read about different crossovers it not so much is "A" better than "B" but more like A sounds different that B, so just depends  on your preference. If you like how they sound now then I don't think you need to switch. That said others on the forum here who have experience with both could give you an Idea of what the difference in SQ sounds like.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I won't like it after a rebuild haha. 

The thing is that my speakers worked at a discotheque before. 

Since then me and previous owner have been trying to put them back to original shape. 

Don't know if anything else except caps goes bad if they get to much power and perhaps amplifiers that ar clipping. And I changed caps. 

Voice coils get burned if you overpower. That being said, I've learned in my old age, if it sounds right, runs right, don't rock the boat! You can't imagine how many here, and on other sites, keep trying this, trying that, just to find it's never right. Our ears get weaker and weaker as we age, especially listening to loud music/ loud cars. Your one of the lucky ones that is happy with his system!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I actually do like how it sounds! Just wondering if I were missing out on something [emoji846]

Voice coils get burned if you overpower. That being said, I've learned in my old age, if it sounds right, runs right, don't rock the boat! You can't imagine how many here, and on other sites, keep trying this, trying that, just to find it's never right. Our ears get weaker and weaker as we age, especially listening to loud music/ loud cars. Your one of the lucky ones that is happy with his system!

Skickat från min Pixel XL via Tapatalk

Another timely post!

I HAD LaScalas with the AL-3 crossover. Loved ‘em! Plug and play. 

Sold ‘em when I got LaScala Industrial Splits. They came with AL crossover... Never even listened to them like that, put Crites A/4500 crossovers and CT125 tweeters in immediately. Was not as impressed as I expected. Very refined sounding LaScalas now and I miss the bite! 

Recently got some AA crossovers from another forum member to compare!

I will try to get the AA’s and a pair of K-33’s swapped in this week and chime back in with the results.

What him say? And yes Dean you did. I thought my first Stereo sounded pretty good way back in 1968. The original speakers that were part of the all in one Stereo with the fold out/removable units were too small. Think I paid $40.00 at the old White Front store .So I built my own cabinets out of particle board, bought some 8 inch two way speakers from the old Zack electronics here in SF. Weren't even the right impedance. Probably why they kicked butt. My old speakers were 3 inch by 6 inch, and 16 ohm written on them. I thought they said 1.6 ohm, so the man said 4 ohm was closest. Amazing the amp never overheated and fried! Back then I thought that was the best my Beatles records ever sounded. Used to play it constantly.

21 minutes ago, shaftish said:

So it's not that big of difference between AA & AL3 sonically?

Skickat från min Pixel XL via Tapatalk

There’s a difference, but you would have to hear both to decide what you prefer. The way you build them will also have an effect on what you ultimately think. 

I’m getting ready to build some AL-3’s to revisit this. I did it a decade ago, and ended thinking the AA sounded better. 

My builds are a bit nutty cost wise, so it takes me a while to save up for the builds I want to do. 

9 hours ago, geoff. said:

Another timely post!

I HAD LaScalas with the AL-3 crossover. Loved ‘em! Plug and play. 

Sold ‘em when I got LaScala Industrial Splits. They came with AL crossover... Never even listened to them like that, put Crites A/4500 crossovers and CT125 tweeters in immediately. Was not as impressed as I expected. Very refined sounding LaScalas now and I miss the bite! 

Recently got some AA crossovers from another forum member to compare!

I will try to get the AA’s and a pair of K-33’s swapped in this week and chime back in with the results.

I have been thinking of that solution as well. 4,5k x and a Crites tweeter. Reading some good things about that combo as well. 

Can you explain what you didn't like about it? When you say "refined sounding", I'm struggling to get that means in a bad way 🙂

Since I bought my tube amps they really bloomed out I think. They wasn't bad sounding before but now they are doing it right somehow haha. Can't put my fingers on it though.