Filter for La Scala, again..

shaftish

So just build a type A or AA and test it on one speaker. I'm sure you could probably sell it if not happy after or just keep both and try them on different songs. You could also buy type A or AA from Bob he may even loan you one to try out. Because I think he will make a sale when he does. TypeA.jpg

FWIW, I've been very happy with the AL-3's in my La Scalas. I tend to prefer low end, reduced mids, and sparkling highs. I think if you can identify what shape sound you prefer, you can find what you want. I'm looking forward to more extreme slope crossovers for my Klipschorns; probably from ALK.

I like Large, not harsh, great dynamics, a strong low end & extension (sub), sounding speakers. Just like La Scalas🙂. But I obviously need a sub to get great bass extension. 

If I can get more of any of these parameters by changing filter, maybe I should have a go. 

On 11/4/2018 at 10:36 AM, shaftish said:

Hi everyone,

I have a pair of La Scala with AL3 filter. I did a re cap and think they sound really good.

But...

I keep reading that sooo many recommend AA-filters.

What difference is there between my filter and AA, sonically.

I used Audophon, medium to low price caps.

Should I do anything or just keep enjoy my speakers as is?

Type AA crossovers work VERY well when using K-55-V or K-55-X squawkers.  Since you seem to have K-55-M squawkers, you will be better off with the crossover you have. 

• Like 1

Ok, so I got an AA crossover into my ‘86 LSI Split tops that originally came stock with the AL crossover. 

It has been about 5 months since I sold my ‘92 LS with the AL-3 crossover. I remember being thouroughly impressed when I played those for the first time at home. Bought them without even listening to them first!

I had also bought the Crites A/4500 and CT125 tweeters on a whim (and the price was right) but never felt the need to change the stock AL-3’s in my first pair of LaScalas, I could not have imagined them sounding any better at the time.

Having just heard the AA’s in my LSI Splits, I don’t think I could put my finger on any significant difference at SANE listening levels.

If you find a pair of AA’s for a song you could give ‘em a whirl and always get your money back down the road.

Like others here have said, different doesn’t always equate to better. Just diffderent...

...those are Peavey FH-1 bins with K-33-E woofers, just like in LaScalas, my LS bins are buried downstairs at the moment...

6856B99B-D8A2-49E1-875D-487587613C18.jpeg

• Like 1