Forte III single - $399

wuzzzer

11 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Gone

That was me. Got it down to $300 plus $43.05 shipping.  Originally was going to be $399 + $80+ shipping

Worth the risk. I figure i could never get that cabinet with the cut outs and walnut veneer and riser and magnetic grill with badge and tweeter horn and mumps horn built for me for $343.05 anywhere even if it has some scratches or dings from being used. Throw in a passive radiator.  Pretty good.  I also figure what are the odds of all the drivers not working at the same time? Could something electrical have damaged the crossover AND the woofer voice coil and compression drivers?  Or would it just be a crossover issue?  Either way, i'm just crossing my fingers that at minimum the woofer works just fine. I don't mind having to buy replacement parts over time little by little. I just know the woofer is likely to be most expensive.   

Having spoken to a customer service rep that was emailing with the used department manager, there are no photos. They don't take Klipsch photos because they're too big to unpackage and repackage. That had me skeptical.  You think they'd take photos when the customer returned it to them and they inspected it. But, i saw plenty of reviews on their website that they are honest about the way they describe used/clearance products.  They described as selling this speaker as X quality "for parts only" because of missing terminal jumpers for non bi amp(who cares about that really?-just use normal speaker wire to bridge) and the speaker producing no sound.  The cosmetic condition is good, but used with some scratches, scuffs etc. So normal wear of being used. I don't mind that at all and i can repair scratches. If there were tears in the 12" driver or passive, they would have noted it.
What peaked my interest was they basically all but told me that no internal inspections are done. No drivers were removed to test etc. So it could be something as small as a customer opening up the passive radiator and reaching in and disconnecting all the wires to return for full refund as "non working." Or it could just be all parts really are shot. I like the gamble with them only inspecting physical damage cosmetically on the outside.   The sale is final. No returns, but since they described the cosmetic condition as good with scratches, scuffs, dings etc.- if it arrives shipped cosmetically severely damaged, they said i can return it. 

Either way, i'm hoping i got some luck left over after i got my Klipschorns for a great deal a few months back. If this works out, i haven't decided if i will make room to use this as a center channel between my Chorus II(which use all Ti diaphragms) , with the option to save up to buy another single to make a pair, or just sell it for profit to help fund more Klipschorn upgrades, or tube amp. So hopefully that doesn't rub anyone the wrong way, considering this whole risk is all on me. 

In the end if i'm stuck with a pretty piece of furniture while i save up for replacement parts or decide to play Frankenstein and get aftermarket parts, i won't be too bummed over the deal.  Only way i get upset is if the cabinet and veneer is completely wrecked either during shipping or misled by adorama listing it as cosmetically in good condition. 

Wish me luck! Supposed to arrive next Monday.

• Like 1

They pulled a fast one on me.  Not only did the box arrive torn open with mud all over the box where it was torn open but a  streak of mud across my whole yard from them just dragging it.  Not only that, but instead of carefully putting it inside the roof covered front porch against the wall, they laid it down after dragging it and left it laying there half way sticking out from the porch roof....on a rainy day/week.  Luckily it only sprinkled in that time span.  That's on shipping-fine. Whatever. As long as the cabinet is fine so i can start troubleshooting the sound issues.

Open it up. First thing i see-a completely shattered and ruined riser. Rage with shipping is going through my head.  Then i take the speaker out and it's cosmetically wrecked. The sides, the motorboard on several sides have all come up and split open.  The original box and packaging came with it and as i went through the black folder, the original return shipping order was there.  Turns out it wasn't destroyed in shipping. The previous returner had also thought he was getting an excellent condition cabinet with no sound being produced-he returned it  saying it was misrepresented-he was advised it that it was supposed to be in excellent condition with no damage other than scratches and a few scuffs and dings.

The speaker i purchased was in good cosmetic condition with no sound.  The speaker i received was severely damaged cosmetically but sounds just fine.  All drivers are working.  Either i was completely fleeced and lied to about the condition or they sent me the damaged one of the pair and the one that produces no sound in excellent condition cabinet stayed over there. Purposely or accidentally i don't know?

This was a final sale.  I spoke to the agent and she said if it arrives not the way it was described, i could return it. Do i want to deal with the hassle? I don't really know.   Some wood glue and clamps to seal the cabinet again might be my best option. I don't really care to get my hands dirty and to be honest, my Chorus II veneer is pretty poor condition as well. Might be a good opportunity to repair this forte III cabinet by resealing it and then re-veneering it and my chorus ii cabinets the same veneer.  

@moray james Can the motorboard be glued and clamped fairly easily? I know you have experience with bracing your cabinets so maybe you can give a suggestion?  For someone who doesn't care too much about pretty veneer and isn't afraid to veneer-can the cabinet splits be clamped and glued for some labor and i'd have myself a fully functional Forte III center channel for $343.05 + whatever cost of glue and clamps?

That sux. I might do a re-glue / fix BUT it would certainly be less than the price you paid after the seller decided to pay shipping back or hand over $$$. Unfortunately, this is not the first rodeo of this type with this seller. 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2018 at 3:45 PM, Maximus89 said:

@moray james Can the motorboard be glued and clamped fairly easily? I know you have experience with bracing your cabinets so maybe you can give a suggestion?  For someone who doesn't care too much about pretty veneer and isn't afraid to veneer-can the cabinet splits be clamped and glued for some labor and i'd have myself a fully functional Forte III center channel for $343.05 + whatever cost of glue and clamps?

yes good old white wood glue (PVA) is your best bet as it will give you lots of working time to make adjustment to your clamping. Always use a piece of thick stock ply wood between the clamp and the cabinet no sense making any more marks than their already are. I think that you got a good deal and a super centre channel.

You might want to check the mid horn at the throat this cabinet hit the ground awfully hard and you might have sustained damage to the horn where the heavy driver attaches to the horn. Take your time and savor the feeling as you bring this injured soldier back to full and active duty.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, moray james said:

yes good old white wood glue (PVA) is your best bet as it will give you lots of working time to make adjustment to your clamping. Always use a piece of thick stock ply wood between the clamp and the cabinet no sense making any more marks than their already are. I think that you got a good deal and a super centre channel.

You might want to check the mid horn at the throat this cabinet hit the ground awfully hard and you might have sustained damage to the horn where the heavy driver attaches to the horn. Take your time and savor the feeling as you bring this injured soldier back to full and active duty.

Thanks for the help! I'm pretty upbeat about this and you got me even more excited.  I'll do just that. I'll also check the throat of the horn when i'm ready. First, like @USNRET said, i'm going to try and get a partial refund tomorrow to at minimum cover the cost of the materials i need(PVA glue and 4 large clamps).
I've also been researching about repairing veneer. Seems easy enough, the bigger issue is the raised/warped mdf mainly on the right front corner as shown in photo #1 above

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:45 PM, Maximus89 said:

i'd have myself a fully functional Forte III center channel for $343.05

Don't think that's a bad deal at all as long as there's no damage to any of the drivers or crossover, would have a hard time assembling that list of parts for that price on the used market even older versions. 

I would certainly ask for possibly demand a pretty significant partial refund based on the cabinet damage which from what you have described and pictured should be  an easy win for you might be able to cut your actual cost in half worth a try I'd say good luck and congrats!

• Like 1

You might want to check the mid horn at the throat this cabinet hit the ground awfully hard and you might have sustained damage to the horn where the heavy driver attaches to the horn.

Starting the process now. Mid horn okay. No cracks. Didn’t expect to see such a large driver! So far so good. Only thing is these parts are really in there tight. Some of the motorboard was peeled off with the mid horn. All backs of drivers are really dusty too
4e143878a7cf571a1c13f5e3543690f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anyone’s future reference. Fairly straight and same process as other klipsch such as forte/Chorus/quarter/KLF/heresy and Cornwall. Everything marker positive/negative. The connectors were really hard to remove so I used needle nose pliers. The woofer and mid driver use different hardware so you’ll need an attachment for your screwdriver/drill. I believe it’s just called a torx screw? I’m no Tim the toolman Taylor.
You can differentiate the mid and woofer but thickness- remember the woofer torx are the thicker ones. The terminal cup also uses them and they’re the smallest. The rest of the hardware is straight forward.
Here’s some photos of the drivers. The crossover is screw down at the bottom of the cabinet at the 4 corners and 2 in the middle.
bf4f8c562758317a8b97505e970e2be7.jpge92c148b8a20fc6bae853098796b3f82.jpg704647ace3321a1e00c951a3506d00ca.jpg32d05699debd705ee88ee056dfa0c312.jpgfac6399d5ec78a51507d298f2e0a2918.jpg drivers cc89e106365fb1b79af11f29db6e8766.jpg7e256f51ed33d321c8b69c597307f913.jpg

• Like 1

Glued up with White Titebond III and clamped. Hope that’s strong enough.

The outer splits unfortunately didn’t close up enough, still a bit of a gap. Didn’t want to use bondo but might have to. I’ll put more glue in an hour and tighten on the exact spot to see if that works and then I’ll just leave it clamped until tomorrow.

When it clumped up I realized I forgot to tape off the inside black part. Got as much clumps off with a damp towel but some of the black will surely have glue on it. Hopefully a black paint marker will take care of it.

I just want it to be structurally sound. If I end up having to use bondo to fill in the small corner gaps, I’ll go ahead fill in all the dings and that major damage in the right corner and probably re-veneer it. Maybe a nicer highly figured walnut that way I have an opportunity to do the same veneer for my Chorus II. That’ll be much later though.

Tomorrow I’ll silicone all the inside edges and the magnets which are just screwed in and sticking out on the inside. Hopefully all that will ensure a tight seal.

....psssst...

If the speaker still has the label with the serial number on the back Klipsch will sell you anything you need to “fix” it:

Another (wicked) mid horn and driver, another tweeter, another crossover...

You could turn your Chorus II’s into what might very well be the Chorus III prototype! And it would be overdue at that!

You are nonetheless on your way to the centre channel deal of the year.

Way to go!

• Haha 1